FM-Towns font rom

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Lemmo

FM-Towns font rom

Post by Lemmo »

How do I get the FM-Towns font rom? I'm not asking where I can download it, I have Monkey Island 2 FM Towns CD, is it located on the CD or is it actually a rom on the FM-Towns unit? Also, where is it placed to play the Kanji version?

Thanks in advance.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: FM-Towns font rom

Post by sev »

Lemmo wrote:How do I get the FM-Towns font rom? I'm not asking where I can download it, I have Monkey Island 2 FM Towns CD, is it located on the CD or is it actually a rom on the FM-Towns unit?
It's on one ROM inside the unit, but I saw a utility near Unz emulator which will generate the ROM for you from installed Kanji Windows fonts.
Lemmo wrote:Also, where is it placed to play the Kanji version?
In any place which ScummVM knows about. Either in game directory, or in extrapath.

Eugene
Lemmo

Post by Lemmo »

Thank you for the quick reply. I managed to get the font rom, and it is named FMT_FNT.ROM is this correct? Anyway I put it in the Monkey Island 2 folder, and it seems to work up to the point where you select the game mode, then after that scummvm exits.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

If you have MI2 Kanji and the Fonts also, could you please verify the problem I have:

There are several files generated in your savegame directory if you use it.

One is TEST.
Another one has only strange symbols in the filename.

I'm not quite sure if it generates more files, since my savegame folder holds quite some files by now....

All those files get generated in the savegame directory.

Can anyone verify this?

I really have no fun in testing these Kanji's anymore......

Update:

I pushed myself through to endure one of those beautiful crashes once more: This time Indy4 Kanji.

The best thing though is: Mostly the game crashes when the inventory shows up, but thats not always the case. Sometimes it doesn't crash.

And oh yes: I've tested older CVSses now also, especially CVS 10/19/2005

Seems sometimes the games work, sometimes not.

This doesn't help. I obvioulsy was wrong when I thought there was a regression after CVS 10/23/2005.....

Update2:

This is the file generated in my savegame folder:

ƒCƒ“ƒfƒBŽw?”

Beautiful, isn't it? It is 25 bytes long.

Update3:

This "beautiful" file gets generated by indy4. Maybe this is the japanese version of IQ-POINTS???
clem

Post by clem »

that even sonds like a potential security risk to me; when a game may write a file with a filename not defined in the scummvm source to disk, what would keep people from faking a datafile which will overwrite files?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

joachimeberhard wrote:
Update2:

This is the file generated in my savegame folder:

ƒCƒ“ƒfƒBŽw?”

Beautiful, isn't it? It is 25 bytes long.

Update3:

This "beautiful" file gets generated by indy4. Maybe this is the japanese version of IQ-POINTS???
I haven't followed this thread at all really but your beautiful filename / file contents are Kanji / Hiragana fonts translated into ASCII, I think. I get the same thing on my Gamecube playing imported JAP games. The memcard using English characters but the gamesaves are Japanese and I get similar characters for the game names.

This observation probably doesn't help the discussion at all so I don't know why I'm really posting this message .......

Jimbob
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

clem wrote:that even sonds like a potential security risk to me; when a game may write a file with a filename not defined in the scummvm source to disk, what would keep people from faking a datafile which will overwrite files?
Sorry about talking of security risks here.

But what is even WORSE is that ScummVM requires Users to have full-access rights to the Windows directory.

I would have thought that Open-Source developers, who mostly use *nix derivats like Linux, BSD and MacOS X would know of the risks of doing so......

This is going to become an even bigger problem when Vista finally arises.

Do we have to enter the root-password then everytime we start ScummVM???
clem

Post by clem »

thanks to my flatmate, the incredible Ariane (hi!), the filename means "Indi Index"

I guess write access to C:\windows\scummvm.ini is only needed when adding games - savegames are still saved in a custom (writeable?) folder
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

True, however you still require users to have permission to write either to C:\Windows or C:\Windows\ScummVM.ini respectively.

Now which way do you think a non-technical user is going to go?

Either work as an Admin, which is a bad idea.
Or give himself full writing rights to the Windows directory.

I don't think that users add scummvm.ini as Admin, give permissions to write on this particular file only and then re-log-in as restricted users....

Well, but this is a different discussion I think.

Thanks, clem, for finding out what that filename means.....
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

joachimeberhard wrote:True, however you still require users to have permission to write either to C:\Windows or C:\Windows\ScummVM.ini respectively.

Now which way do you think a non-technical user is going to go?

Either work as an Admin, which is a bad idea.
Or give himself full writing rights to the Windows directory.

I don't think that users add scummvm.ini as Admin, give permissions to write on this particular file only and then re-log-in as restricted users....

Well, but this is a different discussion I think.

Thanks, clem, for finding out what that filename means.....
Well, and I'm not being sarcastic saying this, you could change the code to fix this problem. As far as I know it's not a problem for Unix users because the scummvm.ini is created in a hidden directory in their home directory. I'm sure the same sort of thing could be undertaken for Windows users but it needs someone to change the code or you could of course change your OS ;)

Jimbob
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

To be honest I would have been far more sympathetic to *nix if most of their users would not leave a bad impression on the internet.

So far, I regulary observed *nix users insulting Windows users when they only say the word Windows.

That lead me to believe that I also get this kind of reply when I would have any problems with *nix, so I stood back of trying, because I didn't wanted to get in touch with this kind of people.

Anyways, I myself do not have problems in a technical way the way ScummVM handles it's ini files now.

It's the safety of the normal non-technical user I'm concerned here.

I just wanted to express my security concerns, which are perfectly valid.

It's of no use to blame the OS here since this is definitely NOT smart to save an ini file of a GAME interpreter in an operating system folder.

I hope I did not myself insult anyone here.
If you think I did, I feel honestly sorry.
Feel free to tell me.

Best regards

Joachim
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

joachimeberhard wrote:To be honest I would have been far more sympathetic to *nix if most of their users would not leave a bad impression on the internet.

So far, I regulary observed *nix users insulting Windows users when they only say the word Windows.

That lead me to believe that I also get this kind of reply when I would have any problems with *nix, so I stood back of trying, because I didn't wanted to get in touch with this kind of people.

Anyways, I myself do not have problems in a technical way the way ScummVM handles it's ini files now.

It's the safety of the normal non-technical user I'm concerned here.

I just wanted to express my security concerns, which are perfectly valid.

It's of no use to blame the OS here since this is definitely NOT smart to save an ini file of a GAME interpreter in an operating system folder.

I hope I did not myself insult anyone here.
If you think I did, I feel honestly sorry.
Feel free to tell me.

Best regards

Joachim
I don't see why you're apologising, you've done nothing wrong!?! No-ones started a flaming war or anything near to it.

Going back to the Windows thing, once upon a time all ini files were saved in C:\WINDOWS\ so that's why it's probably still being used. This was probably a guideline for Windows programs as well and is valid for all version of Windows (possibly). As far as I see it it's only a problem with Windows 2000 upwards. The user should be able to set the file scummvm.ini to read / write access for everyone who uses the system, making an assumption the user has access to at least one Admin account. If he/she doesn't have access to an Admin account then it could be argued ScummVM shouldn't be used on the computer at all - but that's a completely separate discussion (as you mentioned earlier)!!!!!

Jimbob

PS.
The way this thread is going my post count will double ;);)
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Well, to be honest I also don't sympathize with this Install-Thing.

But this is something I have to go through to test CVSes, whether I like it or not.

Usually, you at least require the user to at least have writing access to the savegame directory, so I see no problem in requiring the user should have writing rights to the ScummVM directory.

I see no need to Install ScummVM in the applications (Programs) folder, it is just that the ScummVM installer suggests so.

But this is probably also not a that good idea, especially when you just need to unpack all scummvm files and run it.

So you could place it anywhere you please already, why assume it has to go to the Programs folder?

Edit:

Yeah, if ScummVM wouldn't assume the ini in the OS folder, I would have some posts less also :wink: , mostly because I wouldn't have to help other users then :wink:
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

joachimeberhard wrote:I see no need to Install ScummVM in the applications (Programs) folder, it is just that the ScummVM installer suggests so.

But this is probably also not a that good idea, especially when you just need to unpack all scummvm files and run it.

So you could place it anywhere you please already, why assume it has to go to the Programs folder?

Edit:

Yeah, if ScummVM wouldn't assume the ini in the OS folder, I would have some posts less also :wink: , mostly because I wouldn't have to help other users then :wink:
Yes maybe, I've never run the ScummVM Windows Installer but usually you can choose where to install the files instead of being forced into placing it in C:\Program Files\. This still comes back to changes in the way Windows is configured and the small fixes to try to make it more secure.

Jimbob