iPod Touch/iPhone Port?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ifletcher

iPod Touch/iPhone Port?

Post by ifletcher »

Hello,
Wouldn't it be possible to port ScummVM to iPod Touch/iPhone? I was thinking about that and I think these 2 little guys could BOTH handle it, and with that screen, it'd be much fun :o
anyone thought of that?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Hazed

Post by Hazed »

I'd like to bump this thread as this is what I registered on the forum to ask.

Now the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch have been out for some time now, and both are on firmware 1.1.1 which has officially been "Jailbroken" to allow the use of 3rd party applications.

Both the iPhone and iPod Touch apparently run on a 400mhz CPU, plenty fast enough to run ScummVM (Heck, this thing already has a NES emulator which I have installed).

Now I know the thread you referred to stated that unless someone has an iPod Touch or iPhone and is interested in the project then it would not even be considered.

So I am putting it out there to anyone who is in this situation. Although I have a "Jailbroken" iPod Touch and know how to develop software, I don't know the first thing about developing for Mac OSX (The iPhone/iPod Touch's OS) nor do I know anything about Objective-C programming.

If anyone does decide they are interested, I would love to follow the progress of the development and I would be more than happy to test it as it goes.

Cheers
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

the reason why i posted the old topic was so that all iphone/touch discussion in 1 place.

that said. the devs have already told us that for a iphone port we need someone with a phone and the knowledge, someone who doesn't seem to exist yet. so how does asking for another time work?
aubin

Thought some of you might be interested to see this

Post by aubin »

I spent some time on this today, and this is how far I've gotten. There are still some major problems: most notably, the "mouse" doesn't work. This is because the SDL-iPhone code I'm using isn't working. I will see what I can do on that front, but SDL is a little out of my league.

Also, there is no sound, but this is also a SDL matter. If I can get some help with those, the next major step is to figure out how to rotate the screen and we should be at the races. The good news is that it doesn't crash and the changes to the actual ScummVM source tree are miniscule.

Please don't ask for a binary, this isn't playable or really usable in any way. It's more like a first try to see where we're at.

FYI, this is a 1.1.1 iPhone.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Nice!

I've been trying to get ScummVM with the regular SDL backend up and running as well the last day or two, but having some weird issues when linking against libgcc (possibly because I'm using the files from an iPod touch and not an iPhone, though it really should be pretty much the same).

Using the iphone-mame-sdl version of SDL?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Thought some of you might be interested to see this

Post by sev »

aubin wrote:I spent some time on this today, and this is how far I've gotten.
Just yay! No words. Keep'em comin' :)

Eugene
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Here we go, same thing on an iPod Touch.

Can't believe you beat me by an hour :D

aubin

Post by aubin »

Vinterstum wrote:Nice! Using the iphone-mame-sdl version of SDL?
That's the one. There were some minor problems getting it to compile, but I took a look at the NES emulator and figured out a way to fix the errors.

The big problem right now is the lack of mouse support, that's a pure SDL problem and it's one that the iphone-mame people are facing as well.

The entirety of my changes to the scummvm source tree was changing the scale to 1x instead of 2x and adding apple-arm-darwin to the configure. Other than that, it compiled clean out of the box.
aubin

Post by aubin »

Vinterstum wrote:Here we go, same thing on an iPod Touch.
Can't believe you beat me by an hour :D
Looks good. You're better with a camera, clearly :D
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

I'm looking into using OpenGL ES as a backend, at the moment. Should be a lot faster (and more flexible) than going through SDL, especially when scaling and such.
aubin

Post by aubin »

Vinterstum wrote:I'm looking into using OpenGL ES as a backend, at the moment. Should be a lot faster (and more flexible) than going through SDL, especially when scaling and such.
Will that also take care of the input issues or should I continue trying to get the mouse working through SDL?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

aubin wrote:
Vinterstum wrote:I'm looking into using OpenGL ES as a backend, at the moment. Should be a lot faster (and more flexible) than going through SDL, especially when scaling and such.
Will that also take care of the input issues or should I continue trying to get the mouse working through SDL?
It would be pretty handy to use SDL for the rest of the stuff that's needed, so I'd appreciate it :). At least to find out whether the SDL support is actually there yet or not, or whether we'll have to set up native support for everything.
aubin

Post by aubin »

Vinterstum wrote: It would be pretty handy to use SDL for the rest of the stuff that's needed, so I'd appreciate it :). At least to find out whether the SDL support is actually there yet or not, or whether we'll have to set up native support for everything.
OK, it's a big of a learning curve, but I'll give it a shot and report back.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Every few weeks I've been coming here, praying that someone with an i(Phone|Pod) and skill with the toolchain would appear and make this happen. You guys are heroes! Keep up the absolutely fantastic work. This community floors me.

I am beyond horrible with this toolchain, but I'll offer what I can when I get a firmer grip on it :)