A Question about Sierra games.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ymir

A Question about Sierra games.

Post by Ymir »

Hi all,is it possible to play space quest series on nintendo ds with scummvm ds?
I'm interested in playing sq4 or 5.
And what about the other sierra series like king's quest etc...?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: A Question about Sierra games.

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Ymir wrote:Hi all,is it possible to play space quest series on nintendo ds with scummvm ds?
I'm interested in playing sq4 or 5.
And what about the other sierra series like king's quest etc...?
Short answer: Yes and no.

Longer answer: ScummVM supports Sierra's AGI games, but not the more recent SCI games. There's the FreeSCI project, but I don't really know much about it myself.

King's Quest 1, 2, 3, and 4 were all released as AGI games, though apparently the SCI version of King's Quest 4 is a lot more common. King's Quest 1 was later re-released as a 256-colour SCI game. Space Quest 1 and 2 are AGI games, though - again - Space Quest 1 was later re-released as a 256-colour SCI game.

The recent re-releases of the King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry games (did I forget any?) do not contain the original AGI versions of the first games of each series.

I don't know how this applies to the Nintendo DS port of ScummVM, though.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

since there doesn't seem to be an official DS release of free SCI, should someone mention dosbox?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

PsYcO wrote:since there doesn't seem to be an official DS release of free SCI, should someone mention dosbox?
But will it make any difference, since there is not enough processor power to run dosbox on NDS? :P

Eugene
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The Ds version of ScummVM Supports all the agi games that the Pc version does. The only issue is that the on screen keyboard does not have function keys which are used in some of these games.
Ymir

Post by Ymir »

Ok,I've tried to play Larry 1 remake ,and the original agi of king quest IV,I tried with all scummvm (a,b,c,d,e,f,last version)-
What's the problem?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Ymir wrote:Ok,I've tried to play Larry 1 remake ,and the original agi of king quest IV,I tried with all scummvm (a,b,c,d,e,f,last version)-
What's the problem?
The 256-colour version of Leisure Suite Larry 1 is a SCI game, not an AGI game. ScummVM doesn't support it. Are you sure you have the AGI version of King's Quest IV, and not the SCI version? I'm told they were released around the same time, and that the AGI version is pretty rare.
Ymir

Post by Ymir »

ok,I'll try something different.
So you mean that all remakes are not agi?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Ymir wrote:ok,I'll try something different.
So you mean that all remakes are not agi?
To the best of my knowledge, any Sierra remake of a game is SCI, not AGI. (And in some cases, even the original was SCI). The Wikipedia article on AGI has a hopefully complete list of Sierra's AGI games.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

(And in some cases, even the original was SCI)
AFAIK, that's only true for Quest for Glory/Hero's Quest, but yes, all the remakes were done into SCIVGA. Well, KQ1VGA might not look the part, but at the core that's exactly what it is.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Noelemahc wrote:
(And in some cases, even the original was SCI)
AFAIK, that's only true for Quest for Glory/Hero's Quest, but yes, all the remakes were done into SCIVGA. Well, KQ1VGA might not look the part, but at the core that's exactly what it is.
That was the one I was thinking about, but I figured that maybe there were a few more. There seem to be a couple of Mixed-Up Mother Goose versions, but apparently that one did start as an AGI game. I never played it myself, though.
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

Are there any copyright issues? I think it would be great if scummVM (pc AND ports)supports games like Quest for glory 3.
Or are there performance problems too? (or would it be just too much for scummVM?)

sry for my english :/

mfg
clem

Post by clem »

MajinChibi wrote:Are there any copyright issues? I think it would be great if scummVM (pc AND ports)supports games like Quest for glory 3.
Or are there performance problems too? (or would it be just too much for scummVM?)
If you search the forums for "SCI" or "FreeSCI" you'll get lots of talk why ScummVM doesn't support SCI games
Harley77

Post by Harley77 »

It seems to me trying to get a FreeSCI/ScummVM merger going would be a long route to take. The better alternative is to attempt a direct port of FreeSCI to run on the DS (it is open source after all). Still need coders that are familiar with the DS architecture, but, you would need that anyway regardless.
lwc

Post by lwc »

Harley77 wrote:It seems to me trying to get a FreeSCI/ScummVM merger going would be a long route to take.
The latest release is finally just that. :D