ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > Nintendo DS Port > A Question about Sierra games. Goto page 1, 2  Next
A Question about Sierra games.
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
Ymir

A Question about Sierra games. 

Hi all,is it possible to play space quest series on nintendo ds with scummvm ds?
I'm interested in playing sq4 or 5.
And what about the other sierra series like king's quest etc...?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:43 am 
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: A Question about Sierra games. 

quote:
Originally posted by Ymir
Hi all,is it possible to play space quest series on nintendo ds with scummvm ds?
I'm interested in playing sq4 or 5.
And what about the other sierra series like king's quest etc...?

Short answer: Yes and no.

Longer answer: ScummVM supports Sierra's AGI games, but not the more recent SCI games. There's the FreeSCI project, but I don't really know much about it myself.

King's Quest 1, 2, 3, and 4 were all released as AGI games, though apparently the SCI version of King's Quest 4 is a lot more common. King's Quest 1 was later re-released as a 256-colour SCI game. Space Quest 1 and 2 are AGI games, though - again - Space Quest 1 was later re-released as a 256-colour SCI game.

The recent re-releases of the King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry games (did I forget any?) do not contain the original AGI versions of the first games of each series.

I don't know how this applies to the Nintendo DS port of ScummVM, though.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:11 am 
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

since there doesn't seem to be an official DS release of free SCI, should someone mention dosbox?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
sev
ScummVM Lead

quote:
Originally posted by PsYcO
since there doesn't seem to be an official DS release of free SCI, should someone mention dosbox?

But will it make any difference, since there is not enough processor power to run dosbox on NDS? Razz

Eugene
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:45 pm 
agentq
ScummVM Porter

The Ds version of ScummVM Supports all the agi games that the Pc version does. The only issue is that the on screen keyboard does not have function keys which are used in some of these games.

Post Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:56 am 
Ymir

Ok,I've tried to play Larry 1 remake ,and the original agi of king quest IV,I tried with all scummvm (a,b,c,d,e,f,last version)-
What's the problem?

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:04 pm 
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Ok,I've tried to play Larry 1 remake ,and the original agi of king quest IV,I tried with all scummvm (a,b,c,d,e,f,last version)-
What's the problem?

The 256-colour version of Leisure Suite Larry 1 is a SCI game, not an AGI game. ScummVM doesn't support it. Are you sure you have the AGI version of King's Quest IV, and not the SCI version? I'm told they were released around the same time, and that the AGI version is pretty rare.
Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:21 pm 
Ymir

ok,I'll try something different.
So you mean that all remakes are not agi?

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:59 pm 
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

quote:
ok,I'll try something different.
So you mean that all remakes are not agi?

To the best of my knowledge, any Sierra remake of a game is SCI, not AGI. (And in some cases, even the original was SCI). The Wikipedia article on AGI has a hopefully complete list of Sierra's AGI games.
Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:11 pm 
Noelemahc

quote:
(And in some cases, even the original was SCI)

AFAIK, that's only true for Quest for Glory/Hero's Quest, but yes, all the remakes were done into SCIVGA. Well, KQ1VGA might not look the part, but at the core that's exactly what it is.
Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:48 pm 
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by Noelemahc

quote:
(And in some cases, even the original was SCI)

AFAIK, that's only true for Quest for Glory/Hero's Quest, but yes, all the remakes were done into SCIVGA. Well, KQ1VGA might not look the part, but at the core that's exactly what it is.

That was the one I was thinking about, but I figured that maybe there were a few more. There seem to be a couple of Mixed-Up Mother Goose versions, but apparently that one did start as an AGI game. I never played it myself, though.
Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:26 pm 
MajinChibi

Are there any copyright issues? I think it would be great if scummVM (pc AND ports)supports games like Quest for glory 3.
Or are there performance problems too? (or would it be just too much for scummVM?)

sry for my english :/

mfg

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 pm 
clem

quote:
Originally posted by MajinChibi
Are there any copyright issues? I think it would be great if scummVM (pc AND ports)supports games like Quest for glory 3.
Or are there performance problems too? (or would it be just too much for scummVM?)

If you search the forums for "SCI" or "FreeSCI" you'll get lots of talk why ScummVM doesn't support SCI games
Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:02 am 
Harley77

It seems to me trying to get a FreeSCI/ScummVM merger going would be a long route to take. The better alternative is to attempt a direct port of FreeSCI to run on the DS (it is open source after all). Still need coders that are familiar with the DS architecture, but, you would need that anyway regardless.

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:30 pm 
lwc

quote:
Originally posted by Harley77
It seems to me trying to get a FreeSCI/ScummVM merger going would be a long route to take.

The latest release is finally just that. Very Happy
Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:43 pm 
Reply to topic