Maniac Mansion NES problem (European ROM)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SirGraham

Maniac Mansion NES problem (European ROM)

Post by SirGraham »

SCUMMVM 0.8.0 fails to recognize my European ROM of Maniac Mansion NES correctly - it recognizes the ROM as if it was the USA ROM ("Maniac Mansion (English (US)/NES)"). The USA and Swedish ROMs, which I also have, are recognized correctly (unfortunately I don't have the French ROM, but I do have a Japanese ROM which I understand is not currently supported). I first spotted it in 0.8.0 while it was still in its CVS form, and I wanted to report it as a bug, but I waited too long and now 0.8.0 is released with the bug in it. Actually, I'm not completely sure it's a bug, I think it may be a problem in my ROM file, so I'm not going to report it until it's confirmed. So, is it a bug?

In addition, I wanted to comment on the Maniac Mansion NES notes in the new README.TXT file:
Why does it say to copy everything but the first 16 bytes from the *.NES file to a new *.PRG file, instead of just cutting the first 16 bytes from the *.NES file and renaming the file to *.PRG, which is much more comfortable?
Why does the README.TXT refer to the USA version as (E) and to the European version as (U)? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
AmyGrrl

Post by AmyGrrl »

I had problems with this too, I had used old Maniac Mansion tool that came with the 0.7.1 CVS and since the new 0.8.0 release those file no longer worked. So I used the newer Maniac Mansion tool with the new 0.9.0 CVS and it works fine now. But you'll have to remove the first 16 bytes of the file using a HEx Editor. You can get a free trail of Hex Workshop 4.2, just google it. It's pretty simple to do. Then you can run the tool on the new file. I don't know why they just didn't make the tool ignore the first 16 bytes, would be alot easier.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

AmyGrrl wrote:I don't know why they just didn't make the tool ignore the first 16 bytes, would be alot easier.
In fact, up to CVS 9/10/2005 the tool did exactly that.

I still have my copy of that version. 8)

But I don't know why it was changed then.
SirGraham

Post by SirGraham »

What I wanted to know is why SCUMMVM recognized my European ROM of Maniac Mansion NES as if it was the USA ROM. I didn't have any difficulty modifying the ROM with a Hex editor.

By the way, can anyone please direct me to the 0.9.0 CVS? Maybe it was already fixed there.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

It's detected as English(US) because the game is English. It doesn't really make any difference how you call it. You still may change the name of the game in the game's properties if you like....

You get the current CVS napshot here:

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php

But be aware that the NES versions of Maniac Mansion are currently broke in the CVS. You should use 0.8.0 for playing the NES versions.
SirGraham

Post by SirGraham »

joachimeberhard wrote:It's detected as English(US) because the game is English. It doesn't really make any difference how you call it.
Of course it matters! The European version is not identicle to the USA version - for example, in the USA version you can kill the hamster, in the european version you can't. Besides, accuracy is always important.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Submit a proper bugreport. I really could mix those two, but it needs more investigation.

Eugene
SirGraham

Post by SirGraham »

Ok, I'm guessing I should go here, but can I post a bug report without registering? I think it should be possible, but don't see how.
Matt

Post by Matt »

You need to register in order to post a bug report.
SirGraham

Post by SirGraham »

There, I did it.