Translating Monkey Island

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Darkbluesky

Translating Monkey Island

Post by Darkbluesky »

Hello,

Is it possible to edit the text of the monkey 1 & 2? I have seen some mistakes in the cd spanish version and I would like to correct them.

By the way, is it possible to put the text of a version in other. I have TSMI in diskette, which have a translation I like, and the CD one which is a "bad" translation. Could I put on into another?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Translating Monkey Island

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Darkbluesky wrote:Hello,

Is it possible to edit the text of the monkey 1 & 2? I have seen some mistakes in the cd spanish version and I would like to correct them.
From what I understand, it's possible but far from easy. The texts are embedded directly into the game scripts. If the replacement text is longer than the original text, you'd have to change not just the text itself but all the instructions that jump to points later in the script.

I'm told there are some fan-made translations, but I don't know how they did it.

In some of the later games, the texts were placed in a separate file, presumably to simplify translations, but that won't help you with Monkey Island 1 and 2.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

An easy solution is to use ScummTR, a command-line tool by Hibernatus from LucasForum; it extracts all the texts from ANY Scumm games to a .txt file that you can edit and re-insert it into the resource files (and it works perfectly!)
The command-line options:
-g gameid Select a game
-i Import text into the game files (Input)
-o Export text from the game files (Output)
-f path Path to the text file
-p path Path to the game directory
-w Use the CrLf format (for Windows)
-c Convert characters to the ANSI charset
-l xx Language (for V1 & V2 games): en, de, it, fr
-b Binary mode
-h Add line headers in exported text (with -o)
-H Hexadecimal char codes (with -o)
-I Show instruction opcode (with -o)
-a [oav] Pad Objects, Actors, Verbs with @ (with -o)
-A [oav] -a with variable ids taken into account (with -o)
-L List supported games
-v Verbose
-q Quiet

Examples:
scummtr -cw -gp monkey2 ./mi2 -if ./mi2_fr.txt
scummtr -o -A ov -g zaktowns
To show all the target (indy3, indy3vga etc...):

Code: Select all

scummtr -L
pause
I suggest you to read this thread.
Darkbluesky

Post by Darkbluesky »

Thank you!! It sounds VERY promising! :D
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

:D
Wiese2007

Post by Wiese2007 »

heyho

i have a little problem ^^

at the moment i try to translate monkey2 ultimate talkie 0.2 into german - i have extract the txt-file with scummtr and at my first tests it works.

but my problem comes with the german umlauts (ä,ö,ü,ß). they will not be shown or crashes the game - so i have tried it with ansi ü ä - but that doesnt work ... anyone an idea?

i think it uses us-ascii (which doesnt support them - so i think i need to change the font but i dont know how ^^)

edit: ok also im pretty sure that i need to change the font - i have also get scummfont and scummrp.

i have now the font in an vertical bmp file^^ replacing with an font of an other german translation doesnt work because the resolutions are different - so i try now to add the sign manually

also doenst work - now i have no idea anymore ^^

edit2: ok font issue solved^^ now i only need to find the chapter titlescreen to replace them ^^
SkinnyN0rris

Post by SkinnyN0rris »

I'm sorry to dig out this post three years later.

Did you manage to translate die Monkey Island 2 Talkie Version into german?

I'm trying to do this. But I'm struggeling at the moment.
Sushi

Post by Sushi »

Hi SkinnyN0rris

I’m doing the same at the moment (to Dutch), so perhaps I can help? I have successfully translated the first game in different versions, including the utimate talkie.

I wonder… isn’t German one of the languages the game already supports by default? Or do you want to change the translation done by Boris Schneider?

Sushi