PocketScummVM without ANY button ?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

napo7

PocketScummVM without ANY button ?

Post by napo7 »

hi,

I'me the owner of a PND, which runs ScummVM without any problem, but I don't have any button on my device. So I Can't map keys for left click for example...

How can this issue be worked-around ?
Could we imagine a button in the button bar for toggleing between left/right click ??

Thanks for answering me ;)
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

This is an extreme situation of the "device with limited keyboard support" case. To enter a right-click, you can double tap with the stylus, so an extra key is not needed for that right now. What is your device's resolution? I think all other actions can be worked around without the need for a keyboard map.
napo7

Post by napo7 »

My device is 320x240 landscape mode.

Do you mean that double-clicking is same that right click ?

On some WinCE devices, long-click is same that right click, couldn't we implement this in PocketScummVM ?
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

napo7 wrote:My device is 320x240 landscape mode.
Great, so you can use the toolbar as well.
napo7 wrote:Do you mean that double-clicking is same that right click ?
Yes, please read through the Readme-WinCE.txt file at least once.
napo7 wrote:On some WinCE devices, long-click is same that right click, couldn't we implement this in PocketScummVM ?
No need for that.
napo7

Post by napo7 »

I've read the readme, but missed this one !!

I'll try with sam n max asap !!

Thanks ;)

Edit: Well, I've tried, but when I start Samnmax, Scumm ask me to map a key for the right click, and I cannot cancel either map a key (since I don't have any !!)

How to bypass this screen ?
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Yeah, I've been meaning to kill those nagging dialogs - I'll do it soon. In the meantime, edit your scummvm.ini file:

1) Locate the line with the action_mapping variable. It should look like this:

Code: Select all

action_mapping=0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0111 0112 0114 0113 000d
2) Change the 8th number to something other than zero. Continuing the above example:

action_mapping=0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 1234 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0111 0112 0114 0113 000d
PS. The action_mapping variable contains the following actions in this order:

"Pause", "Save", "Quit", "Skip", "Hide Toolbar", "Show Keyboard", "Sound on/off", "Right click", "Show/Hide Cursor", "Free look", "Zoom up", "Zoom down", "Multi Function", "Bind Keys", "Cursor Up", "Cursor Down", "Cursor Left", "Cursor Right", "Left Click"
TeknoJuce

Post by TeknoJuce »

if 000d is a single click what is double clicks value as 0000 doesnt work or 1234, 1234 gets me into BASS but double click does not function as right click when any of these two values are 0000 or 1234 so is there actually a value that is double click?

I have even tried to make many of the virtual keyboard buttons right click but alas it wont work cuz soon as you click the object on the screen then the virtual key button the mouse cursor drops down to the keyboard and is no longer on the object?

any more information on this when you dont have any hardware buttons ?

Im on a Navigon PND 2120 WinCE 5.0 everything runs smoothly on it as its a 400mhz samsung ARM processor, just the lack of buttons is the killer.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

TeknoJuce wrote:if 000d is a single click what is double clicks value as 0000 doesnt work or 1234, 1234 gets me into BASS but double click does not function as right click when any of these two values are 0000 or 1234 so is there actually a value that is double click?
No there isn't a double click action. That specific value is the simulated left click.
TeknoJuce wrote:I have even tried to make many of the virtual keyboard buttons right click but alas it wont work cuz soon as you click the object on the screen then the virtual key button the mouse cursor drops down to the keyboard and is no longer on the object?
That won't work as well, as virtual keyboard keys are "pre-filtered" and not scanned for mapped actions.

Right click by double-tapping (in close area and time) does work; please experiment a bit and you'll see.
TeknoJuce

Post by TeknoJuce »

well it worked in version 0.10.0 after I updated from 0.9 at the start of BASS when you grab the pipe he grabbed after a double tap in 0.10.0 but then when i tried to use the pipe on the Door with a double tap of the item menu at the top alls it would do is say YAY a pipe good for prying but would not highlight the pipe and any more tapping would cause the OSK of scumm to pop up and go away and hide/show the menu no matter where clicked but I found a little bit of a bug to help me,

I launched the OSK of WinCE before I entered scummvm and even though you can't see the keyboard when you click in the area it is on top of scumm it will not move the mouse curse when clicked so i mapped the right click to WinCE OSK Key "right" and put the osk in very corner then i would tap the screen where the item is at the top and then click the bottom right corner of scumm which would trigger right click and it works! it highlighted the item as the keyboard is on-top of scumm even though you cant see it! so this is kinda lame but works so glad that glitch is there.. as double tap at the top only takes over the input control after the second tap and makes the scumm GUI trigger instead of the ingame actions. :/ doesn't matter where you tap at the top i tried the very bottom of the item still triggered the Scumm OSK.

so thats a little work around I guess :/

System: Navigon GPS 2120 (Canada 310) 400Mhz-Samsung 320X240 WinCE 5.0 runs smooth except for the hardware button limitation.

PS mapping the Esc(back) key of the WinCE OnScreenKeyboard to "Right-click" is much better :) as you can put it futher in the corner to interfere less with the game!
TeknoJuce

Post by TeknoJuce »

Well I just finished BASS with this technique Yay! good game!
falvesjr

Progress on "No Button" Issue?

Post by falvesjr »

knakos,

I tried your tip above to make a device with no button work, but had no luck... I cannot make the "Map a Button" screen go away. Shouldn't at least the "Cancel" button work? But what I'd really like to see is the ability to map a double tap, or even a "hot corner", to an action. :D

I tried TeknoJuce's method of using the input panel - it works, but it's a terrible workaround...

I'm using 0.11.1 on a buttonless Windows CE 5.0 device.

Thanks,
Fernando
Gucek001

Post by Gucek001 »

I second that 'hot corner' plea. I think it's very good often-overlooked UI option for touch-screen devices. And as for the long-click... maybe there's no *need* for that but it _might_ be more convenient (than double-click) to use... ;)
falvesjr

Hot Corners

Post by falvesjr »

In theory, you could even have four hot corners, and have the ability to map each one to a different action! :shock:
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

How about an icon then in the toolbar which toggles between left and right click? Will that suffice for everyone? Any icon offers would be nice too, cuz I kant drAW :)
falvesjr

Sure!

Post by falvesjr »

knakos,

Anything is better than nothing! :D

I will gladly make the icon for you. Let me know what dimensions you want, what format, and where you think it will go on the toolbar.

Obviously, if it's going to be an icon on the toolbar (scummVM's toolbar I assume), the toolbar will have to be visible in order to use this icon. I guess that for most Lucas games that would be OK as the image is at the top of the screen, but how will it affect other games? Is it too hard to make an invisible corner button? Just curious.

Oh, and don't forget (not that I think you would :) ) to make sure we can get past the "map button" screen!

Thanks a lot!

-F