Anyone got the new ARM version to run on a zire 71?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Arnage

Anyone got the new ARM version to run on a zire 71?

Post by Arnage »

Hey, since the z71 was a bit on the slow side with scumm i was really looking forward to this new arm version, but for some reason i can't get it to work.

I tried it with: Monkey 1 and 2, Sam & Max and DOTT combined with Fargo's heap resizer (on and off)

All of them say "importing databases, please wait", then show a white screen and finally crash to the launcher.

Anyone know what could be going wrong?
clem

Post by clem »

doesn't work on my UX-50 either, seem to be memory alignment problems
spyroledragon

Post by spyroledragon »

I had the same problem in my treo 650 until I realised ScummVM was looking for the scumm.engine in BUILTIN instead of CARD volume.

Tap the card icon on top right corner to define the appropriate volume.

Hope that'll help...
Arnage

Post by Arnage »

Thanks for the relies, i tried your solution spyroledragon, but unfortunately it didn't work for me.

I noticed scummvm creates a log file so i took a look if that could help solve it. First it said it oculdn't find a scummvm.ini, so i manually created an empty one. Now i'm getting this interesting one:

Code: Select all

create timer
regs : 1ff00028 18a28 - callback : b1d6dc - duration : 10
Looking for tentacle
Trying to start game 'Day Of The Tentacle'
(0:1:0x199E): No items on stack to pop() for o6_verbOps (0x9E) at [0-1]
I then found a link to a 1src forum thread in which chrilith suggested starting a game using the normal scummvm launcher instead of the frontend, but the only result i got that way way this slightly shorter error message:

create timer
regs : 1ff00028 18a28 - callback : a2d34c - duration : 10
Looking for tentacle
Trying to start game 'Day Of The Tentacle'
I'm a bit out of ideas what to try next...[/quote]
goetz

Post by goetz »

Same problem for ScummVM on my Tungsten C.

Message "Loading", then crash with "fatal exception" (no more details). The log file is empty after the exception.

Does anyone have it running on a Tungsten C? Maybe it's time to open a thread to collect a list of all PalmOS devices which are successfully executing the current ScummVM and which are not.

Meanwhile I will stay with the test version of March 21, which runs stable but for most games without sound. :(

- Goetz
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

You might want to use our bug tracker to file a proper bug report, which then can be assigned to chrilith for review & commenting.

Discussions on the forum are fine as long as you hope for help by the community, but they are not guranteed to be seen by us developers...
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

Arnage : what do you mean by "finally crash to the launcher", return to the launcher (whih is not a crash :)) ?

A new test version is available, let me know if it work better for you
Arnage

Post by Arnage »

Chrilith wrote:Arnage : what do you mean by "finally crash to the launcher", return to the launcher (whih is not a crash :)) ?

A new test version is available, let me know if it work better for you
Yeah. i meant returned to the launcher, so it didn't crash my palm, but sort of crashed the program right? :)

My results with the new test version:

- Starting the scummvm launcher from the frontend crashes the palm with a memory manager error:

MemoryMgr.c, Line:2757, MemMove to NULL
This did work with the previous test version. Starting with enlarged heap (using fargo heap resizer) does get me to the launcher again.

- Starting both Sam & Max And Day of the tentacle gives me this one which i would guess would mean that the files are bad, if it weren't for the fact that they run fine on PC:

Bad ID 96969696('----') found in index file directory!
- Starting other games results in the following results:

+ That memory manager error from above
+ Blank reset error with wierd offsets of the popup or other interesting graphical errors
+ Black screen for longer then my patience lasts (multiple minutes)

It seems to me that the zire just got to little heap to run the newer scummvm versions or is there still hope chrilith?

fingolifn: Although I understand that a bugreport would be beter in most situation wouldn't it be quite useles to post a "i can't it to run on my palm" report?
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

The backend is now 16bit and and the global data are in dynamic heap not in a pdb like with older version, o this version required much more memory

what's the heap size with and without the resizer ?
did you try UDMH (just for the test) ?
Arnage

Post by Arnage »

Normal heap: 1024 kb
Resized heap with fhr: 1984 kb

I haven't tried udmh because my trail expirered quite some time ago and it made my palm a lot less stable so i didn't think it as worth buying.
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

ok thanks, about UDMH I agree
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

anyone for TC and Clié ? let me know if the new version works better
goetz

Post by goetz »

Chrilith wrote:anyone for TC and Clié ? let me know if the new version works better
Sorry for the little delay. Had to wait for getting home before trying ...

Full success on Tungsten C:

Now it works and the sound (with IBM PCJr) is even better than in Test _0321, e.g. sound in Indy 3, where there was none before.

Monkey 1 and Loom: Nearly no stuttering, completely different to before when the sound was pausing when the scrolling started in the loom title.

Once again, great job, Chrilith! :D
goetz

Post by goetz »

After this first success I played with the sound options because with IBM PCjr MI2 and Atlantis did not have sound. So I tried AdLib (not Mixed AdLib/MIDI), high quality and 11KHz.

And now ... all my games work with sound like a charm. I never imagined playing DOTT or SAM&MAX with clear and nice sound on my T|C before. Too bad that my SD card is too small to support the speech sound files. ;)

Once again, great job! :D I'll check if the latest version (2005-12-14) also works.
GoDz

Post by GoDz »

i cant get it to work om my zire71 either. When i try to use the game-launcher to start a game, it crashes back to the palm launcher (or the game-launcher if i use the "on exit, go back to.."-setting).

When i use the other game-launcher (the one you get when no game is selected) i get the following error message:

MemoryMgr.c, Line:2903, MemSet to NULL

I use UDMH and thus should have 11 to 12 mb of dynamic memory. The info-screen in the game-launcher however, says i still have 1024 kb.
if i try to force scummVM to detect more dynamic heap memory in UDMH it doesnt make any difference.
if i try the "use larger stack"-option i get this error:

pnoARM.c, line:43, out of memory
This must be the reason dont you think?
Hope this helps narrow thing down a bit.

hope you can get it working :)

EDIT:
it seems that the error message depends on the game. On IJ-Atlantis i get the error messages as stated above. in monkey island 2 (le'chucks revenge) i get the first error on both occasions.