monkey island 1 in palm

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

speed1986

monkey island 1 in palm

Post by speed1986 »

hi. I been trying to run monkey island on a palm zire 71 but it just keeps saying that i can't fin de file monkey.000 but the file is in the memory card I have tried to name the game diferent and also tried changing the path but it keeps asking fot for the file,
I was wondering what files do I need to make it work

thanks for all
carlos
speed1986

monkey....

Post by speed1986 »

also a message show up saying
ScummVM fatal error
(0:0:0x0):cannot find file:'monkey.000'
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

Maybe a mistake with the config you set.
Try to run in direct mode : no game selected and start directly - you'll have the same GUI as the PC version
Patriq B

Post by Patriq B »

I get exactly the same error on my Tungsten T. It's v0.7.1
I've tried re-naming and all types of tricks. Making sure there's a dot between 'monkey1' and '000' and so forth.
Patriq B

Post by Patriq B »

Chrilith wrote:Maybe a mistake with the config you set.
Try to run in direct mode : no game selected and start directly - you'll have the same GUI as the PC version
Hi !

How do you start without a game selected? I've "installed" both Monkey1 and Monkey2. I have to choose one of them before hitting 'Start' button.

And if you're meaning where you enter game under the config menu - you have to type something here. Scumm won't accept this line empty. Isn't this by the way (in the config menu) where you tell which file (the exe) to execute ?
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Patric B, Have you recently downgraged to 0.7.1 from one of the new test versions, If so any version post 0.8.0 changes the game id targets. In wich case all you need to do is go into the green and black scummVM launcher(direct mode{no game selected from frontend GUI-start}) and remove any/all game configs from that menu (alternately you can edit these tagets in the scummVM.ini, but i couldnt tell you exactly how) Then re-add them form either the frontend or the launcher. Also make sure that you have the right card selected (little card icon on top right hand side of screen(-or- from the pulldown menus)

Hope this helps

GloKidd (Grant Yeager)

EDIT: to start with no game selected just tap again on the already hi-lighted game tile to deselect it and then press start, you will be ask what engine to use, say scumm or whatever and voila direct mode
Tinnus

Post by Tinnus »

Patriq B wrote:Isn't this by the way (in the config menu) where you tell which file (the exe) to execute ?
No, you don't execute any EXE. The EXE files aren't needed at all to be exact. This is the place where you write the game ID which can be found at the general ScummVM site (www.scummvm.org).

Also, make sure you're using the right game ID. monkeyvga for example uses .lfl files (or something) while monkeycd uses 000 and 001.

(and please ScummVM developers do not come here and say "0.9 HAS UNIFORM TARGETS" because the Palm version doesn't have this yet)
Patriq B

Post by Patriq B »

glokidd wrote:Patric B, Have you recently downgraged to 0.7.1 from one of the new test versions, If so any version post 0.8.0 changes the game id targets. In wich case all you need to do is go into the green and black scummVM launcher(direct mode{no game selected from frontend GUI-start}) and remove any/all game configs from that menu (alternately you can edit these tagets in the scummVM.ini, but i couldnt tell you exactly how) Then re-add them form either the frontend or the launcher. Also make sure that you have the right card selected (little card icon on top right hand side of screen(-or- from the pulldown menus)

Hope this helps

GloKidd (Grant Yeager)

EDIT: to start with no game selected just tap again on the already hi-lighted game tile to deselect it and then press start, you will be ask what engine to use, say scumm or whatever and voila direct mode
Hi !

No, I didn't downgrade. I downloaded the only Palm software I could find on this site...
Where can I find 0.8.0 versions ?

Kind regards,
/Patriq
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

All post 0.7.1 versions are currentley 'Test' versions. the current test version is available at http://capers.free.fr/ScummVM/index.php under downloads the file should be right at the top and called arm.zip(note that this version only currently supports scumm engine games)

P.S. did you manage to get direct mode working? Also what version of Monkey Island 1 are you running? (EGA(16 color),VGA(256 color) or CD enhanced)
Patriq B

Post by Patriq B »

Hi !

OK, I'll give that a try. Arm didn't sound very 'Palm-ish' to me - so I went for the 0.7.* version.

I'm running the CD-version that came with Monkey 1&2 collected on one CD.

Shouldn't at least the latest stable and "official" version work ?

I'll give the testversion a try and report back when I've done so.

Thanks for the input !!

Regards,
/Patriq
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

for monkey island 1 cd enhanced the game id under 0.7.* is: monkey1
example:
to add monkey island you would put the following info in the add screen(This is what i do)

Entry name:
micd (or whatever you want to refer the game as)
Path: /PALM/Programs/ScummVM/Games/micd
Game: monkey1
engine: Scumm games

Now replace [Path] with whatever your path to your monkey island 1 directory is

I hope this helps you

GloKidd

P.S.> ARM is is a type of processor that most newer palms use, im pretty sure your Z71 does as well. makes for a much faster game. If you get 0.7.* to work you may want to try the ARM optimization located under misc
in the pull down menus
Patriq B

Post by Patriq B »

This is what I have:

Entry name: Secret of Monkey Island 1
Path: /PALM/Programs/ScummVM/Games/MONKEY1
Game: monkey
engine: Scumm games

I've installed the frontend.prc with the latest date on it (there are two in the zip-file 'arm')
and the skin-file.

Games are in the folder as stated above.

My Tungsten T resets after having displayed 'importing databases'. It does so both when having a game highlighted and not before pressing 'start'.

Any clues ?

Kind regards,
/Patriq
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

ok just add 1 to monkey in your Game: (eg: Game: monkey1)
although im not sure if this is required in the new version (I havent had a chance to test the last 3 of them) Anyways this should get the game running.

also I was wondering if you got direct mode (start with no game selected) working?

EDIT: sorry i missed that last bit of your post (about the crash when attempting direct mode :oops: just wondering, did you place the file scumm.engine in the /PALM/Programs/ScummVM/mods folder on your card? Also do you have mathlib installed (im not sure if this is nessisary with the new version, so if it isnt, could someone who knows a little more about palm gaming etc. possibly set me straight on the matter)
Patriq B

Post by Patriq B »

Hi !

The engine is not installed on the card - but on the Palm. I have the math-lib installed as well. I use it in other applications.

I'll try renaming and report back.

Regards,
/Patriq
Patriq B

Post by Patriq B »

I just tried adding a '1' after 'monkey' under Game: so that it reads 'monkey1'.
Palm still resets after displaying importing databases.

Weird....

Tried both direct mode and loading with Monkey Island1 highlighted.