No speech in Broken Sword 1 in 0.10.0

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fenix

No speech in Broken Sword 1 in 0.10.0

Post by fenix »

I was using ScummVM 0.9.1 before which was able to play BS1 with sound speech and music. With 0.10.0 only the sound effects works. I am using exactly the same datafiles.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: No speech in Broken Sword 1 in 0.10.0

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fenix wrote:I was using ScummVM 0.9.1 before which was able to play BS1 with sound speech and music. With 0.10.0 only the sound effects works. I am using exactly the same datafiles.
Did you arrange the files into sub-folders inside the main game data folder? One thing that changed - I think it was between 0.9.x and 0.10.x - is that ScummVM no longer looks inside every sub-folder, only the ones the engine itself specifies. In the case of Broken Sword 1 that's clusters, music, speech and video.

Does that help?
fenix

Post by fenix »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
fenix wrote:I was using ScummVM 0.9.1 before which was able to play BS1 with sound speech and music. With 0.10.0 only the sound effects works. I am using exactly the same datafiles.
Did you arrange the files into sub-folders inside the main game data folder? One thing that changed - I think it was between 0.9.x and 0.10.x - is that ScummVM no longer looks inside every sub-folder, only the ones the engine itself specifies. In the case of Broken Sword 1 that's clusters, music, speech and video.

Does that help?
The speech files are located in the SPEECH subfolder under the game data folder. Wouldn't that work?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fenix wrote: The speech files are located in the SPEECH subfolder under the game data folder. Wouldn't that work?
It should. In fact, it does for me. Does it make any difference if you move the speech files out of the SPEECH folder and into the main data folder? (If so, is it possible that the folder name has some spaces in it, or something like that? Those can be hard to notice.)
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Make sure that the "path" variable under section "[sword1]" in your scummvm.ini points to the parent folder (which contains the folder substucture eriktorbjorn suggests). e.g. it should be "path=\Storage Card\scummvm-games\bsword1\" and not "path=\Storage Card\scummvm-games\bsword1\Clusters".
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

eriktorbjorn wrote:It should. In fact, it does for me.
I should, perhaps, clarify that I'm trying this with the Linux version, since I don't have a PocketPC. I'm just assuming it works more or less the same.
TeknoJuce

Post by TeknoJuce »

knakos wrote:Make sure that the "path" variable under section "[sword1]" in your scummvm.ini points to the parent folder (which contains the folder substucture eriktorbjorn suggests). e.g. it should be "path=\Storage Card\scummvm-games\bsword1" and not "path=\Storage Card\scummvm-games\bsword1\Clusters".
Thanks was having this problem in WinCE SCUMM 0.10.0, that fixed it now I have video and speech :D but I just used the internal edit SCUMM path, there like 2 different cutscene packs does one format use less resources then another as the mp2/ogg stalls a bunch on a 4ooMhz processor would the dxa use less or more resources?
TeknoJuce

Post by TeknoJuce »

I changed to the DXA video pack and it runs smooth now.