Choppy video on full throttle

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

andrewe1

Choppy video on full throttle

Post by andrewe1 »

Hello,

I recently installed scummvm and full throttle on my iPaq hx2795b, which has a 624mhz processor and WM5. However, sometimes Full Throttle is unplayable, it looks like the video delays when loading a new scene. Its very annoying... Any tips on improving performance? I already tried clearing the ram and turning off wifi and BT but it didnt help.

Thanks
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Re: Choppy video on full throttle

Post by knakos »

andrewe1 wrote:However, sometimes
andrewe1 wrote:it looks like the video delays when loading a new scene
Can you elaborate on these two?
andrewe1

Re: Choppy video on full throttle

Post by andrewe1 »

knakos wrote:
andrewe1 wrote:However, sometimes
andrewe1 wrote:it looks like the video delays when loading a new scene
Can you elaborate on these two?
Yeah I meant, for example...the game is perfect till the first bike fight, If the other biker knocks me, I hear the sound of bens bike falling, the video stops, and then resumes after Ben is on the floor.

After a lot of work I beat that first biker and most of the scenes after that had a delay, it was a little better after you wake up at Mo's garage.

By the delay on loading a new scene, I meant when the game tries to load a "cutscene" just after the playable part.

I tested the game on my brothers iPaq which is almost identical (newer revision, a little more ram) and its the same.

If you want, tomorrow I can record a video and upload it to youtube so you can see exactly what im talking about.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Smush support (those animated fight scenes) is being worked on and improved. What we'll need is a savegame, bug report, video to help us improve it.
andrewe1

Post by andrewe1 »

Here, I made a video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J3s-xrkKL-w

you can see the delay im talking about there. Scummvm is running on 2 almost identical iPaqs, like I said, one has a little more ram. One is running Full throttle off an SD card and the other one off a CF card. It looks to be running identically though...
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Hey, great sync :)

Anyway, here's a suggestion. In your scummvm.ini, locate the section marked [ft]. In that section, try setting the Smush_force_redraw variable to something lower (if it exists) and also try lowering the sound priority. f.ex. you can try these settings:

Code: Select all

Smush_force_redraw=10
sound_thread_priority=0
You can try fiddling a bit with the Smush_force_redraw variable (default value 30) - the other variable is normally 1, setting it to zero is slightly lower (you may get some stuttering sound). Check out the port's reame for some descriptions.

From the looks of it, some I/O is taking place when the screen stops refreshing; This may be difficult to solve without pre-caching (if that's the case of course).