HIGH RESOLUTION SCUMMVM ICONS - CHECK EM OUT!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

raina

Post by raina »

128x128 Windows .ICOs. (Link's long since dead.)
Last edited by raina on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Okay, these icons are really cool :D I now have several custom direct shortcuts to several of my favorite titles set up on my desktop :D

Thank you very much for these, Very cool stuff :) :D
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Indeed, nice icon work!
paul0272

Great stuff

Post by paul0272 »

These are absolutely awesome and just what I've been looking for. Thanks for sharing them!
MetalSnake

Post by MetalSnake »

kosuan wrote:.
Hi thanius,

These Icons work just great om my Mac !! I use them to decorate the folders (directories) where the gamedata are in. Thanks !!

And it is very easy to use them with the little app 'ASTICONES' - Spyroland. The .png 's can be copied into an folder and be used from there. Very simple.

Even the ones from the big png work fine too.

I use Mac OS 10.4.9 (and Win98 for DOS Games..) :wink:
How did you do that? I just loaded Asticones, but it won't open the pngs.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

You don't need a 3rd party app to customize file and folder icons under Mac OS X. Just do this:

First, copy the graphics you want to use as icon (copy&paste will be used for this). Then select the file/folder you want to modify in the finder, choose "Get Info" (= Cmd-I), then click on the little icon in the top left corner of the info window, and finally paste the icon. Done.
MetalSnake

Post by MetalSnake »

fingolfin wrote:You don't need a 3rd party app to customize file and folder icons under Mac OS X. Just do this:

First, copy the graphics you want to use as icon (copy&paste will be used for this). Then select the file/folder you want to modify in the finder, choose "Get Info" (= Cmd-I), then click on the little icon in the top left corner of the info window, and finally paste the icon. Done.
Yeah, I know, if that just worked. :/ I mean I always get black colour where transparency should be.
gord

Post by gord »

great stuff :)

would be nice to see some svg versions if possible as well, i realise its prolly more headaches for windows/mac people but for us linux/gnome users it means we can resize to our hearts content and always get 100% quality :)
thanius

SVG-versions... Uhm.

Post by thanius »

Thing with SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) is that they're using vector graphics (duh) for scaling. And to my knowledge, using a rasterimage inside a SVG wouldn't change much as of the quality of the scaling. Because, you know, bitmaps doesn't use vectors.
Converting these to SVGs would require 100% reconstruction I believe, so if anyone's up for that - good luck. :)

But, still; I could be wrong. Does anyone here know anything about SVGs?
kosuan

Post by kosuan »

MetalSnake wrote:

Which Version of Mac OS are you using ?
On my Macmini it runs perfect.
Just point in Asticons to the folder, where the icons are in, wait a moment and that's it.
Has someone else tried it ??
gord

Re: SVG-versions... Uhm.

Post by gord »

thanius wrote:Thing with SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) is that they're using vector graphics (duh) for scaling. And to my knowledge, using a rasterimage inside a SVG wouldn't change much as of the quality of the scaling. Because, you know, bitmaps doesn't use vectors.
Converting these to SVGs would require 100% reconstruction I believe, so if anyone's up for that - good luck. :)

most vector applications (inkscape does for sure) have some sort of raster to vector tool that lets you create vector images from a raster image, they need a lot of settings tweaking to look right and then some tweaking afterwards but for stuff like the tentacles in DoTT it would look quite good :)
MetalSnake

Post by MetalSnake »

kosuan wrote:
MetalSnake wrote:

Which Version of Mac OS are you using ?
On my Macmini it runs perfect.
Just point in Asticons to the folder, where the icons are in, wait a moment and that's it.
Has someone else tried it ??
I'm on 10.4.10.
In Asticones on the left I opened the folder with all the .png files in there, but it shows nothing in the App.
kosuan

Post by kosuan »

Aha !

So you have to start Asticons, - press 'Apple' + 'P' and the preferences Menu will appear.
There you have to mark 'show image files'. Restart the app.

That should do it.

Works now ?? :)

ko.
Meringues

Re: SVG-versions... Uhm.

Post by Meringues »

gord wrote:
thanius wrote:Thing with SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) is that they're using vector graphics (duh) for scaling. And to my knowledge, using a rasterimage inside a SVG wouldn't change much as of the quality of the scaling. Because, you know, bitmaps doesn't use vectors.

most vector applications (inkscape does for sure) have some sort of raster to vector tool that lets you create vector images from a raster image, they need a lot of settings tweaking to look right and then some tweaking afterwards but for stuff like the tentacles in DoTT it would look quite good :)
Yeah, images which are more like solid cartoon shapes are far easy to recreate as a vector image, the icons which have lots of detail or which are almost photo-like require a much greater skill of vector art creation, I've seen some very close to photo quality verctor art but it takes ages to do.

I would use something like Illustrator for this and would place the raster image on the lower layer and carefully add vector layers slowly recreating the entire image.

Edit: Oh, and if anyone wants 256x256 (inc lower res) capable icons for Vista of thanius' PNG's I could upload ;)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

am i the only one who was under the impression, that raster meant a Jamaican fellow?