What about "Discworld"

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clem

Post by clem »

PsYcO wrote:
MrPunchy wrote:
wiki wrote:If not, a more serious attempt at reverse engineering will be made, although the time this process takes cannot be estimated. .
Now is the time for start the process!!!!!!
whats that supposed to meen?
he means that someone (implying "not him") should start the arduous work of sitting hundreds of hours in front of disassembly so he can play the game more conveniently
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

In this forum some people are pretty stupid

i don't wanna play the game because i already play them in my old pc, but discworld is a great game and is a "big fish" for scummvm (Like Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island or Broken Sword).
clem

Post by clem »

MrPunchy wrote:In this forum some people are pretty stupid

i don't wanna play the game because i already play them in my old pc, but discworld is a great game and is a "big fish" for scummvm (Like Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island or Broken Sword).
fine, if you think this is such a "big fish" add support for it, then come back, since your attitude alone sure isn't helping progress
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

ok. You know you're right.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

MrPunchy wrote:ok. You know you're right.
Ok, now stop trolling ;)
seurrep

Post by seurrep »

I realise that the process of reverse engineering the code - assuming you're forced to go down this route - makes time estimations next to impossible, but have you started reverse engineering it?

The wiki entry for the tinsel engine seems to have remain unchanged for something like a year now at least, with only the date in the update text changing. At what point will you consider abandoning efforts to get the code?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

seurrep wrote:At what point will you consider abandoning efforts to get the code?
I don't think it's possible to answer that question either. To do that kind of reverse-engineering, you'd need someone who...
  • ...has the necessary knowledge. (I don't.)
  • ...cares enough about the game.
  • ...owns a copy of it.
  • ...has the time to do it.
seurrep

Post by seurrep »

Fair enough, but from the sounds of things you'll probably never get the code. If they were going to give it to you then surely you'd have it by now?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Not necessarily. The problem is finding somebody who has access to the code, the rights to give it out (resp. is aware of the fact that we have permission), and who has the time to search through their archives to actually find the code, then send it to us. Given that people are not paid for this, they have to do it in their spare time, too. So in theory it could still happen any day.

The problematic part here is that we need to constantly remind people about our request. But if we do it too often, we just annoy them, and they ignore us.=

Anyway, there is no reason to abandoning efforts to get the code. Even if somebody implements a REed Tinsel engine, why should we abandon the efforts to get the original source? Nothing to be gained from that, is there? :-)
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

fingolfin wrote: Anyway, there is no reason to abandoning efforts to get the code. Even if somebody implements a REed Tinsel engine, why should we abandon the efforts to get the original source? Nothing to be gained from that, is there? :-)
Yes, that's right. And as you know, even with a working Tinsel engine for ScummVM, it could help polishing the engine and a faster progress for being practically 100% complete. I think to remember Lure engine was benefited from a recent appearing of the source code, and this engine was reimplemented some time ago with reverse engineering because the source code was not found.