ScummVM DS 0.10.0 beta1 released for testing!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

Okay, I give up!

When's the next beta release?!!?!?!

Huh?!?!

Tell me immediately!!!!! :lol:

Oh, and hey, does this recent release support the VGA remake of Police Quest?

Also, the Simon Enhanced Music Project, it features .ogg audio files, is it possible to somehow change the format to be compatible with Scumm DS?

Thanks again dude!
M3User

Post by M3User »

I completed Monkey Island 1 (cd version), and had a couple of out of memory crashes (when playing for long periods), and also the fast text problem mentioned above. I also had the fast text problem with DOTT.

Otherwise, great release!
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

So what does this 'fast text problem' look like? Does it skip speech? Or entire cutscenes? What exactly goes too fast?

had a couple of out of memory crashes (when playing for long periods)
Does it give an error message when it runs out of memory? If this is a new bug in the Scumm engine (since 0.9.1) I'm not likely to find a memory leak, since I don't have any tools to find one.

Does this problem happen with DOTT too?
M3User

Post by M3User »

The fast text thing means that every bit of speech and subititle (regardless of whether it has sound or not) starts to skip really quickly, as if someone was holding the d-pad down button. Going to the menu and back seems to resolve it.

As for the memory issue, I only saw it on MI. It didn't lock, but exited to a debug menu. I can't remember the exact message sorry. By pressing L&R, which seems to show the free memory, I can see that on most games it decreases steadily. Could be a memory leak I guess, or maybe just a limitation of the DS hardware.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

How long did it take to crash, roughly?
M3User

Post by M3User »

I would say 2-3 hours of continuous play on MI would do it.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

M3User wrote:I would say 2-3 hours of continuous play on MI would do it.
you sure the battery just didn't die?:P
calavera

Post by calavera »

hey agent,

stupidly fast:
the text would flash on and off the screen that fast that i couldnt read it.

and i always tap start on the screen, never push ne buttons to get it to boot up.

also, another little problem ive got is when i play fotaq, the inventory spins outta control at random occasions but when i tap the screen and hold it, it stops. i can stop it by using inventory that opens new windows, but its kinda annoying.

i must be cursed with speed or somethin :P
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I can key the 'fast text' thing to happen by holding the down key, then holding left shoulder, then releasing the down button before releasing the left shoulder.

Now it seems to detect the down button is pressed all the time.

Is it possible you did this by accident?
calavera

Post by calavera »

its possible! i might have been zooming in/out and its done it by accident!

i hope i havnt wasted ur time on this! i know how hard you've worked on scumm ds
Adzma

Post by Adzma »

agentq wrote:I can key the 'fast text' thing to happen by holding the down key, then holding left shoulder, then releasing the down button before releasing the left shoulder.

I had my first encounter with the "fast text" bug and I know 100% that I wasn't holding the down key, left shoulder, then releasing the down button before releasing the left shoulder. It just happened to me at random, several times in fact...

EDIT: Actually, now I'm not quite so sure... I think I may have hit that button combo :oops:.
Last edited by Adzma on Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
the-chief

Post by the-chief »

agentq wrote: If you press X to show the keyboard, you can then use the d-pad to walk around. I fixed a bug with it recenly, so it's possible it won't work in the build you have.
Thanks, this works ;)

One more thing, Could you add diagonal cursors to the keyboard, this would be very handy with some AGI games where you have to walk on mountain roads, or stairs. (Or the maze monster in SQ2)
M3User

Post by M3User »

agentq wrote:I can key the 'fast text' thing to happen by holding the down key, then holding left shoulder, then releasing the down button before releasing the left shoulder.

It's certainly possible I did this, as I was keeping an eye on the free memory, trying to repro this out of memory bug.

By the way, I played DOTT for about 3 hours last night and had no memory problems.
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

Just a few bugs to report.

In King's Quest 1 you have the words "a" and "i" being used as an auto complete word. Doesn't make too much sense to have those in there.

Also the words "ifnkovhgroghprm" and "nikstlitselpmur" are two selectable auto complete words as well.

In Space Quest 1, the auto complete words for "j" gets blending in with those used for "t". The word "lady unit" has a carriage return in the middle as well as "capture val unit".

In Sam and Max, if you touch the top portion of the screen the cursor turns into a blocky colored patch for me.

That's all I can think of right at this moment.

Still, this is an awesome beta 0.10.0 agentq. Awesome stuff!
:D
Adzma

Post by Adzma »

I don't know if this has been raised before but while playing Sam & Max, when I'm at the carnival and find the magnet that advertises the world of fish, once the map pops up indicating that I can now drive to the WoF, the game crashes and my save(s) get corrupted.

Haven't mentioned this as of yet but I'm using a DS Lite, SuperCard Lite + Super Key with the regular SuperCard DLDI patch.