ScummVM DS 0.10.0 beta1 released for testing!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Big robot Bill

Post by Big robot Bill »

Bug Report

Using: R4 and Kingsten 1GB microSD

Game: Goblins Quest 3 CD (v1.000/DOS/English) (ScummVM build D)

Issue: Once I start the game up, the Coktel logo comes on and does it's thing and then it goes to a blank screen and no buttons work and nothing loads. My copy of the game came from the original disc, if that matters. I'm also using the default settings in ScummVM to boot it and such. I double checked to ensure I have all the required files for Golbins 3, which I do.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Hmmm. I just saved four games under different names with Goblins 3 and they all loaded perfectly. I'm not sure why it doesn't work for some people, perhaps the R4 has something to do with it.

So I would like to know if those people with saving problems can save in another game, like Beneath a Steel Sky.

It would also be helpful if someone tried formatting their card with FAT16 and then tried saving.
TinkyJo

Post by TinkyJo »

This is a really great update! It'll be fun to play some of these games again on the DS.

This may get asked all the time, but any chance a future update will support Sierra's SCI games?

Thanks again for a fantastic program! :mrgreen:
clem

Post by clem »

TinkyJo wrote:This may get asked all the time, but any chance a future update will support Sierra's SCI games?
probably not.

and yes, this IS getting asked all the time, as a quick forum search could have showed (and answered) you
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Hmm. I've tested saving on Goblins 3 on four of my cards:

GBA Movie Player V2
M3 Lite
Ninja DS
DS-Extreme

Not a single problem or crash. So I'm confused as to what the issue is.
morukutsu

Post by morukutsu »

agentq wrote:So I would like to know if those people with saving problems can save in another game, like Beneath a Steel Sky.

It would also be helpful if someone tried formatting their card with FAT16 and then tried saving.
With FAT16, the save still buggy with Goblins 3 :? .
But the save works perfectly with Beneath a Steel Sky :) .
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

With FAT16, the save still buggy with Goblins 3.
But the save works perfectly with Beneath a Steel Sky.
Is it possible to disable the automatic DLDI patching and patch the file manually? Perhaps there is a problem with patching build D which doesn't occur on the other builds.
morukutsu

Post by morukutsu »

I tried with the old R4 firmware, I pathed the file manualy and there is the same problem .

What version of Gob3 are you using ?

I have an other idea if the Dldi saving doesn't work (with me), can I force sram save and put a GBA game in the slot-2 to save in ?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Yeah, you could use a GBA game, I think, although it would have to be one with a 64Kb SRAM save type.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Okay, I've found a bug in the Goblins engine which was causing the save problems, (and caused a memory leak on all platforms). It applies only to Goblins 3. In the next beta, saving will work in this game.

As for not being able to scroll, I'm going to implement a 'snap to borders' option which should make it easier to get the pen right to the sides of the screen.

Has anyone tried the word completion on AGI games? Any comments?
morukutsu

Post by morukutsu »

agentq wrote:Okay, I've found a bug in the Goblins engine which was causing the save problems, (and caused a memory leak on all platforms). It applies only to Goblins 3. In the next beta, saving will work in this game.

As for not being able to scroll, I'm going to implement a 'snap to borders' option which should make it easier to get the pen right to the sides of the screen.
Thanks a lot for the bug correction in the next beta !
It will be more confortable to play with the 'snap to borders" inplementation.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

I've tried Leisure Suit Larry 1 for a short time, and word completion really works great.
One thing for AGI games that would be great for a later version, if you could optionally use the D-Pad to move the character around. On PC I've always used the cursor keys, and I think this was the way it was intended to play.
So, no complaints here with AGI games, work great (I have to seek my Space Quest Collection CD to try out a few other games, though..)
Ymir

Post by Ymir »

Hello,
I have a problem,I've tried to use Gobliins 2 and Space quest 4 no this new version of scummvmds but they doesn't work.
I select scummvm-d then when I try to add the game in scumm list it says "Scummvm couldnot find any game in the specified directory"
The scumm files are correctly patched with the dldi for my R4.
In fact Simon the sorcerer 2 works perfeclty with the Scummvm-c.
Anyone can please tell me how to run Gobliins 2 and sierra games please?
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

It's not much of a bug, but nonetheless, it's still worth noting.

On King's Quest and Space Quest (and possibly all other AGI games), if you initially start the game in the Scumm menu screen using only the buttons on the DS rather than just using the stylus alone, the game becomes somewhat frantic acting like you're pounding on the screen with the stylus continually.

It then makes the game unplayable until you open up the keyboard feature.

The word completion works awesome. The only thing would be to possibly remove, or at least have an option for it, the need to double tap on the word each time.

Also, are you open to suggestions?

I know I've been on your case about trying out different features on the touch screen.

It would be great if you could allow the user to customize their own personal settings by featuring every possible option that you could think of to make available for them.

The most important feature would be to allow personal settings with mapping all of the buttons on the DS.

Some of the things that could be set to a button on the DS would be...

Scrolling furthest to the left, right, up, or down. If one so chose, they could use the directional pad to implement this feature for the screen display by mapping the directional pad accordingly.

Hide mouse cursor icon on the top screen.

Show the mouse cursor on the top screen.

Remove top screen or bottom screen display entirely.

Enable the left mouse trigger to always be set as default. If one wanted to use the right mouse trigger, you would need to hold an assigned button while touching the screen at the same time with the stylus. Once you let go of the DS button of choice, it would go back to being left mouse by default.

Perhaps even assigning a DS button for the left and right mouse. The thinking behind this would be if someone, most likely myself :lol:, not wanting any bottom screen display. The user would drag the stylus around on a black bottom screen and only look at the cursor on top. Once the cursor is where it should be, the user would then press on their chosen button to enable either a left or right mouse trigger response.

I hope you don't mind me in the way I keep pounding suggestions at you Agentq, but I don't think I'm going to stop anytime soon, unless I get banned, or find myself too drunk to continue typing ever again.

By the way, thanks for the huge clean up with the audio files!

Before, Sam and Max sounded like I was listening to it through an AM radio set on the wrong station. Now, it sounds just as good as if I were playing it on my computer.

If there was a way to high five your brain for what you did with this new release, I promise you that I would. :)
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

One more thing to add. What are your thoughts about having two different resolutions on the same, exact screen?

What I'm thinking is to allow the user to set a customized line where the screen breaks from 1x to sized to fit.

Basically, the main graphics and backgrounds would be 1x while the commands, inventory, or options (top portion of the screen for AGI games) would be sized to fit.

I'm not sure if that's possible to create such an interrupt coding to display on one screen, just thought I would throw that out there for your noggin to think about.

I know that this is just a recreational hobby for you so I'm not expecting any type of miracles here, I'm only looking forward to any of your responses.

Cheers. :)