ScummVM 0.10.0 won't start on Dopod 838 Pro (Hermes)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mr_Snuffle

ScummVM 0.10.0 won't start on Dopod 838 Pro (Hermes)

Post by Mr_Snuffle »

I've tried a couple of times to run this app on my pocket pc, but I haven't had much luck. I do as the instructions... umm... instruct, and when I try to run it, all that happens is the ppc just sits there with the loading logo in the middle of the screen.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I really want to play SQ1...
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Sounds like a crash during startup, probably related to video. Edit your scummvm.ini to include the debuglevel=1 option under the [scummvm] heading, run it and attach the scummvm_stdout/err.txt files on a bug report.

Note: Is there doesn't exist a scummvm.ini file, create one in the directory where you've copied the scummvm.exe with the following two lines:

Code: Select all

[scummvm]
debuglevel=1
Mr_Snuffle

Post by Mr_Snuffle »

hmmm... it starting running once I created the scummvm.ini file. I quit and restart, and now it doesn't work

stdout:
Using configuration file: scummvm.ini
Sound opened OK, mixing at 11025 Hz
Lost mouse focus.
Got mouse focus.

stderr:
SDL: Version $Rev: 41 $ bootstrapping GAPI device
SDL: Device is portrait, OS version 5.1 build 195
SDL: orientation 4
SDL: GAPI_RealizePalette NOT IMPLEMENTED
SDL: Starting video access detection --->
SDL: System 320x240
SDL: Checking for GAPI
SDL: orientation 0
SDL: Selecting right translation
SDL: Selecting right translation
SDL: GAPI OK, 240x320, H=2 V=480, 16bpp, landscape false
SDL: Orientation reinit
SDL: <----- Detection finished. Running on GAPI driver at 240x320 (real 240, 320), using ARM accelerated blitter
SDL: Selecting no translation
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

I don't see any problems during startup. Make sure you have enough free ram available (I'd say 12-13 megs upward).
xarod

Post by xarod »

I think I have the same problem. I get the exactly same report except those orientation 0 lines. I try to run the programm, it loads, then (if the screen is on horizontal mode) it switches to vertical mode and nothing else happens. I tried with over 20mb ram free and it's still the same. I also tried to read those manuals, but they are no help as I can't even get the program run :| My phone/pocket pc is HTC TyTN. I wonder if anyone could tell me what I do wrong or what I should do.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Well, I don't know. Searching through the forums suggests that scummvm runs just fine on htc tytn. Further the logs are inconclusive, i.e. some unspecified crash occurs after video init (which completes ok). So I suggest you delete modern.ini and modern.zip and scummvm.ini and retry, or do all that again but download and try the older stable version (0.9.1). Other than that, I urge you to file a bug report, although the debug info available does not point to something in particular.

Other Dopod 838 Pro (Hermes)/HTC TyTN users: Speak up!
xarod

Post by xarod »

Okay now, there has been some progress. I tried to find first that 0.9.1, but all mirrors I found were dead. I found one 0.9.0 version, and that I got running, but I'm in need of sleep now and have no games on my device, so I'll report tomorrow if I get any games working. I just wonder why the new version doesn't work as the older seems to.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

0.9.1 is right here: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/scummv ... -WinCE.zip

and since this is definitely a regression, further discussion on this will take place on the bug tracker, when one of you reports it.
Mr_Snuffle

Post by Mr_Snuffle »

I installed the custom ROM to get Windows Mobile 6, and now it's working just fine.

I got the upgrade here: http://wmblack.info/

Now I need to figure out how to rotate the orientation, and use the arrow keys on my keyboard to move Mr Wilco
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Gah. That sounds like there was a firmware-related problem. :-(