ERROR: startTalkSound: SFX file is not open

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

oninotsume

ERROR: startTalkSound: SFX file is not open

Post by oninotsume »

Hi,
I've been using scummvm for the psp for a while now and really enjoying it, and recently I picked up a 1gb memory card, so I thought I would give some talkie games a try.

I don't want the giant monster.sou files taking up all of my memory card, so I tried to compress the files using the scummvm tools available here and ver.3.9.6 of LAME. I put both LAME and the scummvm tools into the same folder and then drug the .sou file on top of the LAME.exe and everthing seemed to work well. I ended up with a file called monster.sou.mp3.

So I erased the original monster.sou and transferred the folder over to the PSP. I'm using the latest build 0.8.0 by the way. Anyway, the game starts and everything, but right after the LucasArts logo I get this menu that drops down reading. ERROR: startTalkSound: SFX file is not open.

I tried this with Day of the Tentacle as well as Sam and Max, but to no avail.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

ps. I checked and I have all the correct files in the folder, so I don't think I'm missing anything.
Filmchick

Post by Filmchick »

Rename your monster extensions to .so3 instead of mp3.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: ERROR: startTalkSound: SFX file is not open

Post by sev »

Filmchick wrote:Rename your monster extensions to .so3 instead of mp3.
No, don't do that, it will serve no purpose here. If it would be run correctly, scummvm tools would produce correct file in the first place.
oninotsume wrote:I put both LAME and the scummvm tools into the same folder
Correct
oninotsume wrote:and then drug the .sou file on top of the LAME.exe and everthing seemed to work well. I ended up with a file called monster.sou.mp3.
Nobody but you did bad here. Nothing personal, but it seems that Microsoft grows people who do not use their brain but eyes alone. I.e. I see this button, I'll press it and will see what will happen.

First you would had to read scummvm tools README file which describes the process. I'll not repeat it here, but of course, feel free to ask questions.

What you did here is ehrm.. strange. See what happened. You put lame.exe, put scummvm tools package (with a dozen of other .exes), and then dragged monster.sou over... lame.exe, basically running command

Code: Select all

lame.exe monster,sou
And now tell me, why did you copy scummvm tools there, if you never ran it?

Lame.exe just compressed first chunk from monsters.sou and nothing else.
oninotsume wrote: ps. I checked and I have all the correct files in the folder, so I don't think I'm missing anything.
You're missing README file from tools package in your Notepad or whatever.

Eugene
oninotsume

Post by oninotsume »

Okay, so because the readme had no information on how to use the scumm tools, I found some helpful information on the net and was able to compress the audio files for day of the tentacle. It was basically my first time ever using dos, but it seemed to go okay.

I made a file called scumm on my c drive C:\scumm\
then I input cd C:\scumm\
then (compressin file name, I forgot :wink: ) moster.org
and pushed enter and it worked.

So, now I'm wondering if the same code set can be used to compress audio files for The Dig. For example could I compress the .bun file using the same sequence?

cd C:\scumm\
compress bun.exe (audiofilename).bun

then push enter and it should go, right?

Do I need to get another program besides LAME, or will that do the trick here too?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm learning.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

oninotsume wrote:Okay, so because the readme had no information on how to use the scumm tools,
There is a separate README in scummvm tools package.

Eugene