Blazing Dragons [PSX Game]

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jez

Blazing Dragons [PSX Game]

Post by Jez »

This is a long shot, but here goes:

I so dearly want to play an old Playstation game called "Blazing Dragons". Unfortunately it was only released on the PSX and the Sega Saturn. My PS died many moons ago, hence this post. Can PS game files be used in SCUMMVM on a PC, and if so would this be a game you'd consider supporting? It's a pretty standard 2D point 'n click adventure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazing_Dragons

I've tried PS emulators, but this particular game just doesn't wanna work for me.

Cheers :)
exofreeze
Banned

Re: Blazing Dragons [PSX Game]

Post by exofreeze »

Jez wrote:This is a long shot, but here goes:

I so dearly want to play an old Playstation game called "Blazing Dragons". Unfortunately it was only released on the PSX and the Sega Saturn. My PS died many moons ago, hence this post. Can PS game files be used in SCUMMVM on a PC, and if so would this be a game you'd consider supporting? It's a pretty standard 2D point 'n click adventure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazing_Dragons

I've tried PS emulators, but this particular game just doesn't wanna work for me.

Cheers :)
Well, you have a few options here.

A. PS2's play PS1 games. So do PS3's.

B. Runs fine in ePSX for me

C. Go find an old copy of Bleem and buy it - runs in that too. (this option is easier said than done)

D. Wait until the Scumm team ports every known point and lock adventure in existence.

Seriously - scumm would have to nearly become a complete PS emulator to play a game like this. It was written for specific hardware, all of which scumm would have to emulate. I am 99.9 percent sure this will never happen, especially not for one game.

Your best bet is to go buy a used ps2 if you don't have one. They aren't that expensive. Although I'm guessing you don't have a legal copy which would actually be recognized by a ps2 (otherwise you would have already used that option instead of askng for emulation support), in which case you don't really have any business asking about the game anyways.
Jez

Post by Jez »

Well, you have a few options here.

A. PS2's play PS1 games. So do PS3's.

B. Runs fine in ePSX for me

C. Go find an old copy of Bleem and buy it - runs in that too. (this option is easier said than done)

D. Wait until the Scumm team ports every known point and lock adventure in existence.

Seriously - scumm would have to nearly become a complete PS emulator to play a game like this. It was written for specific hardware, all of which scumm would have to emulate. I am 99.9 percent sure this will never happen, especially not for one game.

Your best bet is to go buy a used ps2 if you don't have one. They aren't that expensive. Although I'm guessing you don't have a legal copy which would actually be recognized by a ps2 (otherwise you would have already used that option instead of askng for emulation support), in which case you don't really have any business asking about the game anyways.
Thanks for the reply. That was the answer I was expecting hehe.

Buying a PS2 for one game is, to me, kinda sillier than asking if SCUMMVM supports PS games. And I'm kinda offended that you automatically assume that I have a pirated copy. How the hell do you know? I'm not gonna buy a PS2 for one friggin' game. Keep your speculations to yourself.

I'll try the emulator you recommended.

Cheers.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

i have it on the Saturn, truly awesome game:)
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

For running PSX games on a PC, I'd really recommend pSX over ePSXe for someone new to emulation. Since pSX doesn't require third-party plugins for graphics and sound processing, and is aimed at providing maximum compatibility out of the box, it's far easier to set up, and since it doesn't alter the graphics for rendering by a modern graphics card, it'll also be more suitable for a 2D game than ePSXe, for which it may take some tweaking with the various GPU plugins to get acceptable 2D output.

Note that the regular conditions apply - you must own a real PSOne or original PlayStation, and in some regions even dump the BIOS from it yourself, in order to legally use a PSX emulator which needs BIOS images.

Just my 2 cents...
JDAdams

Post by JDAdams »

Why not just buy another PSX? They're really cheap now. Or a Saturn and a copy of the game for that - if it's 2D the Saturn copy will probably run better.
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

Jez wrote:

Buying a PS2 for one game is, to me, kinda sillier than asking if SCUMMVM supports PS games. And I'm kinda offended that you automatically assume that I have a pirated copy. How the hell do you know? I'm not gonna buy a PS2 for one friggin' game. Keep your speculations to yourself.

I'll try the emulator you recommended.

Cheers.
Ok then, so your saying you had Blazing Dragons and a ps1, but the ps1 died... and you kept the game. It was worth buying a ps1 back then for your one game... but not now?

If your not going to buy a console for "one friggin game", then I guess you shouldn't worry about playing console games in the first place.

Don't expect other people to do all the work for you when you can easily pay $50 for a used ps2 off eBay to play the game that apparently is so important to you.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Woaha, come on folks, let's calm down. No need to get into a fuzz about this.

Jez, adding support for any kind of game is a long and tedious process. And it is extremly unlikely to happen for this particular game.

So, if you really want to play it that much, you should probabl follow the advice people posted here (get new hardware, or try an emulator).
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Or if you love really that game, it will can be added by $39,000 ;)
Jez

Post by Jez »

exofreeze wrote: Ok then, so your saying you had Blazing Dragons and a ps1, but the ps1 died... and you kept the game. It was worth buying a ps1 back then for your one game... but not now?

If your not going to buy a console for "one friggin game", then I guess you shouldn't worry about playing console games in the first place.

Don't expect other people to do all the work for you when you can easily pay $50 for a used ps2 off eBay to play the game that apparently is so important to you.
I didn't buy a Playstation just because I wanted to play Blazing Dragons. Jesus Christ. I have about a dozen games, most of which belong to my brothers, and I was feeling nostalgic the other day and wanted to play Blazing Dragons again, but my PS has been dead for a few years. Hence my question. There's no mystery here.

And don't talk down to me about asking people to "do all the work for me". We have a junk yard forum, precisely for these purposes. And I don't know why you're bitching at me, I asked a simple question, and I accepted the answer.

Fingolfin: I took the guy's advice, I looked into using an emulator, and I said that in my second post.

Cheers.
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

The Madventurer wrote:Or if you love really that game, it will can be added by $39,000 ;)
LoL. Great memory.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

exofreeze wrote:
The Madventurer wrote:Or if you love really that game, it will can be added by $39,000 ;)
LoL. Great memory.
I had a great memory for humorous stuff. Sadly, I don't use it for the really useful things.