X-360 dead?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jonas76

X-360 dead?

Post by Jonas76 »

Although a topic has been posted on the port for Xbox 360, its been dropped dead...or at least so it seems to me.
In some research I've found an XNA version that can allegedly can be run...but to non programmers like me, it makes little sense with no tutorial to help me out.
So I pose a simple question to the people who have worked or are working (or not working) on the SCUMMVM port for Xbox 360. Is the project dead or alive? If alive, can you direct to the appropriate place to have my questions answered?
Thanks.

(A big shout out to all the developers out there for bringing such a great engine!) :D
clem

Post by clem »

there is no official Xbox 360 version of ScummVM

hence, there is no support for it, and probably noone you could ask here

clem
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote:there is no official Xbox 360 version of ScummVM

hence, there is no support for it, and probably noone you could ask here
There has been some discussion about the ScummVM-XNA project here in the past, though.

Of course, some would say that it's a silly idea to port ScummVM to another programming language and then try to keep it in sync with the official version, but they are certainly free to try.
Jonas76

Post by Jonas76 »

Well,
as silly as it would be to port it to any other console in my opinion. Is there currently an initiative or further development for the XNA? I guess I won't be looking for anything on the 360 anytime soon.
Cheers.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Jonas76 wrote:Well,
as silly as it would be to port it to any other console in my opinion.
That's actually a very different things. The other console ports essentially take the regular ScummVM code, add "some" bits (not that I want to downplay the effort involved there, mind you!), and recompile, done. When we add features, they often only have to recompile, or do some very minor changes.

For the XNA "port", however, they have to rewrite everything. So to match any change we make, considerable effort has to be spent. This is a *huge* task, and not at all comparable to *any* of our other ports. In fact, I wouldn't even call it a port, but rather a "clone".
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

fingolfin wrote:So to match any change we make, considerable effort has to be spent.
Oh, yeah! Some of our GSoC students got their own branches of our code, and one of them already performed 2 merges of ScummVM changes after couple weeks of development. AFAIK, it got a whole day from him. That is just to identify changes and directly insert them into existing code. With XNA that will be a rewrite, which means each case should be processed manually. eek.

Eugene
David Corrales
ScummVM Developer

Post by David Corrales »

I'm one student who has had to merge changes from trunk back to my private branch.
I had to do a couple of these operations recently, and it involved more than 1500 file updates in a week time frame. Of course, since most of the codebase was similar, I only had to cater for the area of code I had changed (though this involves solving conflicts, etc).
If one was to create a whole new base, then try to sync it with trunk during these weeks of massive changes, it'd be a very time consuming process.
I remember a guy/girl Carch in IRC talking about an Xbox port. Don't know if it's the same port we're talking about, but it seemed like a traditional one, rather than a rewrite.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

David Corrales wrote:I remember a guy/girl Carch in IRC talking about an Xbox port. Don't know if it's the same port we're talking about, but it seemed like a traditional one, rather than a rewrite.
Carch did the XBox port (see the patch in the patch tracker) which uses the XBox XDK in c++ (iirc). The Xbox 360 one was being translated to c#