amazon queen and steel sky issues on TX

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

djchallis

amazon queen and steel sky issues on TX

Post by djchallis »

i've got scummvm working on my TX fine and my old lucasarts games work fine (although i haven't tested them at great lengths). however i downloaded the two freeware games off this site and neither work.
when trying to run the amazon queen it resets before going to the white screen, and with steel sky it resets during the second cut-scene (when you hide on the ledge after the first room).
i've followed all the advice i could find in the various text files coming with both the games and the program and i've done some forum searching as well. if anyone could let me know why this might be happening, i'd appreciate it.
thanks.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

What version of scummvm for palmos are you running?

I vaguely remember experiencing a similar crash when playing BASS on my old E2
djchallis

Post by djchallis »

i'm using 0.9.1
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

im not sure if it will help or not but try with the latest SVN build, you can find it here
djchallis

Post by djchallis »

i downloaded it and never got to testing amazon queen and steel sky because i found my lucasarts games refused to work with that build.
i'll return to the last one. oh well, i can live without those two games.

thanks for helping though! :)
thatgui

Post by thatgui »

Maybe I'm making a fool out of myself (and no offence), but are you sure, you configured ScummVM correctly ?? Most of the old LucasArts Games (and BASS) work very well on my Zodiac (and worked also very well on my Sony TH55) with the svn build.

I would be glad to help you, if you wish
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

one thing i have noticed with the most recent build is that most games require the OS5 advaced mode function checked in misc options to work properly. warning though, chrilith said that this mode is unstable and will be removed in the next available build (which i greatly look forward to :wink: )

@thatgui: I too have had no huge probs with the latest build on my zodiac or my old E2. although DOTT does tend to freeze after the title screen (when the car leaves the screen i get the reset dialog and the sound/music hangs).
djchallis

Post by djchallis »

no offense taken, you're probably right, i don't really know what i'm doing. but i certainly do need some more help now, because following installing the latest version none of my games work, even when reinstalling the last version.

so here are the full details of my problems:
i have a palm TX. i installed version 0.9.1 and successfully got dott, samnmax, monkey1 and maniac to work. upon trying to run amazon, the palm reset, and in steel sky it reset during the cut-scene after the first piece of gameplay.

i installed version 0.10.0 and have only so far tested monkey1. it plays the game but doesn't operate properly. previously my four hardware buttons did the following: swapped to widescreen mode, skipped cut-scenes, opened the menu and right-clicked. now the widescreen button takes away the graffiti pad but doesn't turn round the image. the other three buttons do nothing and the game freezes at the title screen.

the problem is i can live without amazon and steel sky, but when i reinstalled version 0.9.1, the same problem occured. i reinstalled the frontend .prc file and all the mods, but it behaves in exactly the same way, refusing to fun monkey1 properly.

i'm not a bit frustrated 'cos i can't run any games at all.
thank you all for being so helpful so far, and any help you can now give me would be fantastic.
thanks.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

try starting in direct mode (with no game selected) and removing any entries from your scummvm launcher.

alternately you can go to the scummvm folder on your card and delete the scummvm.ini file (in fact if you try the first step and it doesnt work, try this and see if it helps)

The scummvm.ini file contains your launcher configs etc.

It is possible that some of the settings of the new version were kept. so if the above two steps dont work on their own then try deleting the scummvm app via the delete manager at the launcher-> delete the scummvm.ini on your card-> re-install 0.9.1

Hopefully one of these helps