Neuros OSD

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Wahooney

Neuros OSD

Post by Wahooney »

Has anyone ported or thought of porting ScummVM to the Neuros OSD?

It just occured to me and I think it will be bloody brilliant.
clem

Post by clem »

it seems to be linux-based, so maybe a recompile will suffice?

but why not buy one and donate it to some ScummVM dev if you really want it? :-)
Wahooney

Post by Wahooney »

Keep dreaming clem ;)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Wahooney wrote:Keep dreaming clem ;)
What a nice reply to a respected community member. Yes, clem is all correct. Donate such device to the team and then we may consider porting ScummVM to it.

Eugene
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

Adding a little bit of meat to this (as it is a cool device I looked into but can't afford).

From a port perspective the Neuros OSD runs on the Ti 200 MHz ARM926 CPU/DM320 SoC and runs a 2.6 Linux kernel (2.6.19 IIRC). So all is good there, ARM CPU’s are no strangers to running ScummVM.

The DM320 features a fair array of video acceleration and tweaking options (inc. some hardware blitting and sprite/layer stuff if I read the specs correctly) but I don't know if any of this is exposed in the open source arena (most of this was accessed by binary closed source modules when I last looked).

In order to get ScummVM onto this device you would really need to look at unlocking some of the potential of the SoC/DSP combo 1st maybe via a Neuros optimised SDL library or some other simple libraries to wrap the hardware. Both approaches worked well when we where looking to make it easy to tap the hardware on the GP2X.

Just pushing ScummVM onto the framebuffer (via SDL or otherwise) is going to be a little painful and slow but would be fairly easy to get running I would think. A basic port should not be that hard to do :D but a decent port would be a lot more work.

I also don't know a great deal about input options on the Neuros OSD but I assume that USB host could be put to good use for a keyboard and mouse.

Wahooney, if you own a Neuros OSD why don’t you look into having a go at a port yourself (most of the current userbase seem to be techie types and as a dev trying to do a port I can assure you people will be much more inclined to help you).

Clem and Sev are quite right however, devs do not have access to endless pockets and tend to buy things they want rather then everything any user might want :wink:.

If you want a ScummVM port and don’t want to do it yourself why not ask in the Neuros OSD community to see if anybody is working on it or even ask Neuros if they want to donate one or more to the team?
Wahooney

Post by Wahooney »

I've never programmed for Linux so I don't know how good I'll be in that department and I'm not made of money, yet ;), so unfortunately I cannot donate a unit.

I guess I could have a go at getting Neuros to donate a unit or two to the cause, but in all honesty I believe that the request would be seen as more sincere if a dev from ScummVM made it. But I'll give it a try.
FJ

Neuros OSD donation

Post by FJ »

I am coming a little late to the party based on the posts dates, but if someone at Scumm is interested in hacking the OSD, email us at info@neuros.us
We will be happy to send you a unit
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Neuros OSD donation

Post by sev »

FJ wrote:I am coming a little late to the party based on the posts dates, but if someone at Scumm is interested in hacking the OSD, email us at info@neuros.us
We will be happy to send you a unit
Great! I could give it a try.

Eugene