WinCE SVN Build (2 May 2007)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

knakos
ScummVM Porter

WinCE SVN Build (2 May 2007)

Post by knakos »

I don't know why this happens for me in scummvm, but when I set a milestone SVN build release I can't find the right time to freeze the development and actually release it. I keep thinking 'OK, let's fix this one more thing' and 'Now that's easy, let's do that as well before release' and so on. Gah :-)

I've been working on a few major things though which I'd like everyone to see. Not anything breathtakingly fresh but rather changing the deep innards of the ce port to make it behave more nicely. This all happens inside the sdl wince port.

Get the build right here!

Here's a rough changelog:
* Added screen centering for large screen devices
* Heavily (I believe ;-) ) optimized the screen drawing routines. Also includes Robin Watt's patches. You should see a significant speed improvement.
* No more dissapearing clock/taskbar (I mean it)
* No more keyboard popping up in scummvm and the associated workaround.
* Implemented pause-on-minimize => Handling of calls when playing scummvm
* Improved severely keyboard input/key mapping (I hope). Also dpad arrows rotate when the screen is rotated.
* Improved support for landscape qvga phones (no need to hack around in scummvm.ini)
* Implemented detection for flip screen events (portrait to landscape)
* I can't remember what else right now.

Heads up for the following:
* This is a -O3 build (more speed, more size). Hence,
* The executable is packed using the excellent upx packer, mainly for load->run speed reasons. It does take up close to 8MB in memory when unpacked (includes engines: scumm, sky, queen, gob, cine, saga, kyra, agi, agos, sword1, sword2, touche). So users with low free memory should act accordingly and free up some mem. If we get a lot of complaints we'll see what can be done.
* Any Handheld PC, wince 2.00 users: If you get this running *please* document the procedure so we know if we'll announce support for those devices officially.
* Due to the update of keyboard handling code, the keycodes have changed. Running this version of scummvm will overwrite your keybindings with the new default ones. This affects all users but for the smartphone users here's the new default keymap:
"Up" -> dpad-up
"Down" -> dpad-down
"Left" -> dpad-left
"Right" -> dpad-right
"Left Click" -> softkey a
"Right Click" -> softkey b
"Save" -> call/talk
"Skip" -> back
"Zone" -> 9
"FT Cheat" -> 8
"Bind Keys" -> end call
"Keyboard" -> dpad-enter
"Rotate" -> 5
"Quit" -> 0

As usual, feel free to abuse the bugtracker with anything you find wrong.

Enjoy!

PS. clem, I didn't screw up the date this time :-)
PS2. Builders need the newest patches for the sdl library or, even better, the latest wince-gcc precompiled lib pack. Instructions for building are in the wiki. Also note that you can expect the sdl library to change over time to fix any bugs, so *always* check up on the library diffs and precompiled pack before building.
Last edited by knakos on Mon May 28, 2007 7:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
clem

Re: WinCE SVN Build (2 May 2007)

Post by clem »

I wish I had a WinCE device to try it
knakos wrote:PS. clem, I didn't screw up the date this time :-)
heh :)

btw thanks for pointing out UPX, I haven't visited the page in ages - they released a new version just days ago?
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

Hi,

Just tried it out on my MDA Vario II, and with the keyboard in it works perfectly.

Pop the keyboard out, and (contrary to previous versions) the screen keeps working. The only problem, is that the pointer position is detected wrongly; X is correct, by Y is inverted.

If you *start* the game with the keyboard out though, the mouse works fine.

Closing the keyboard leaves the mouse working perfectly - it's just reopening it that upsets it.

I'll play some more later if you have other tests you'd like me to do.

Hope that helps, and thanks again for all your work on this!

Robin
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

and the y axis is still inversed even if you rotate scummvm to inverse landscape?
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

knakos wrote:and the y axis is still inversed even if you rotate scummvm to inverse landscape?
Inverse landscape is actually the natural format for me. But, yes both landscape and inverse landscape have Y reversed.

Actually, in testing this, i've noticed that if (once Y has become inverted), I toggle the screen rotation to be portrait mode, Y remains inverted (though Y is actually X for portrait mode - if you see what I mean).

HTH,

Robin
NLS

Post by NLS »

thanks Kosta, I trust this will fix the problem you know I had with keymapping - I'll let you know if it works
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Until now, 2 kinds of other bugs have been reported:

1) The screen is messed up on some devices. Will look into that.
2) We still have problems with some keyboard drivers injecting spurious keystrokes (can't get them all at once :-) ).

In the meantime, please make use of our bugtracker for reporting anything not working right.

Please be patient; I'll issue another build soon.

Thanks,
K.
NLS

Post by NLS »

preliminary test show that you seem to have fixed things with LOOX 720 :)
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

OK, I've noticed an incompatibility of upx with at least 2003 qvga smartphone devices (fails to start up). At this point there doesn't seem to be any way around it other than decompessing the executable manually using upx and reuploading then unpacked exe to the device. Then it should run ok. In all probability we will be dropping support for upx.

Also some older devices exhibit regressions in the video detection as I mentioned in the post above (garbled gfx).
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

Hello!

Am I right that this is only an ARM port and not suitable for MIPS?

Greetz
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Correct, only ARM processors are supported right now.
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

Ok, that explains why it´s not running.
THX.
NLS

Post by NLS »

...I hope you can now implement all this on that other project that uses SDL :P
qwertypippo

scummvm-0.10.0svn-2007_05_02.zip

Post by qwertypippo »

Thanks for the information that you macaws giving me, but I have another problem.
I have installed on my navigator Invion scummvm-0.10.0svn-2007_05_02.zip, but it visualize the following errors, and it creates these files.

ERROR

Application Scummvm.Exe has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persist, contact the program vendor.

Program: SCUMMVM.EXE
Exception: 0xc0000005
Address: 00000000

Configuration File:

[scummvm]
action_mapping_version=5
stepY1=2
stepY2=10
stepY3=20
repeatTrigger=200
repeatX=4
repeatY=4
action_mapping=0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0111 0112 0114 0113 000d
stepX1=2
stepX2=10
stepX3=40
versioninfo=0.10.0svn

File scummvm_stderr.txt:

WARNING: Setting default action mappings.!

File: scummvm_stdout.txt

Creating configuration file: scummvm.ini
Using configuration file: scummvm.ini

Excuse me for my English but I am Italian.
Can Help me? Thanks
bub181

Post by bub181 »

Thanks for the upload, I'm testing it out now.

I noticed while I was playing Monkey Island 1, on my VGA Dell Axim X51v in 2x scaler mode, that the first column of pixles on the left hand side (when in normal landscape mode) is missing. If I go into a dialogue screen I can clearly see that the words are missing the first column of pixels. I don't see this problem when I turn the scaling off, but then the screen is too small. I also tried v0.91 and it had the exact same problem.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks!