control setup in scummVM GUI?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Roman

control setup in scummVM GUI?

Post by Roman »

I know, coders hate suggestions, but this one needs to be said IMHO. ;)

Since scummVM exists for linux, it exists for a lot of systems even the fathers of scummVM propably don't know.

I for instance am using ScummVM for the GameCube for years now. First some nice guy from gcdev.com compiled a special version of scummvm 0.6 for gamecube-linux, then 0.7 came out and I wanted it so I simply tried a pre compileded PowerPC Linux binary from debian.org (GameCube has a PowerPC and it's Linux is based on Debian).

Everything worked perfectly with the pre-compiled binary, but the control setup didn't really work on the gamecube gamepad, you coudn't hit F5 to save a game. Everything else worked great (besides the Numpad for Indy).

So I had to go back to 0.6.1 because of F5.

Same game for 0.8 and 0.9.

Now rodo from the forums here on ScummVM.org compiled a 0.9 version for GameCube-Linux. He says himself, that all he did was to change some keypad layouts, basically F5.

Now everyone is waiting for him to add a numpad layout for Indy and Monkey Island. :)

I think this situation will repeat in the future for many console systems. They get more and more PCish, they get Linux, standard CPUs and so on, but they don't get keyboards, so a control setup in the ScummVM GUI would be a great thing to have. :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Nope. It is a porter's task to define a keyboard mapping suitable for his target system/device, rather than the task of our users! Which is why a "ScummVM porter" is not the same as "some random guy who simply recompiled ScummVM".
Roman

Post by Roman »

fingolfin wrote:Nope. It is a porter's task to define a keyboard mapping suitable for his target system/device, rather than the task of our users! Which is why a "ScummVM porter" is not the same as "some random guy who simply recompiled ScummVM".
OK, but I'm talking about a situation where no port is needed at all because a standard binary would work if the user just had a control setup in the GUI.

But I perfectly agree, that a real port is always better, but more often than not, it simply doesn't exist.