Will Toonstruck ever be available on Scumm VM

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GuyBrush316

Will Toonstruck ever be available on Scumm VM

Post by GuyBrush316 »

Please can anybody advise me if Toonstruck will ever became compatible on the Scumm VM as I cannot play it through any up-to-date systems.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Will Toonstruck ever be available on Scumm VM

Post by eriktorbjorn »

GuyBrush316 wrote:Please can anybody advise me if Toonstruck will ever became compatible on the Scumm VM as I cannot play it through any up-to-date systems.
There's no telling what will happen in the long run, of course, but I'm not aware of anyone working on it. However, the DOS version worked flawlessly in DOSbox when I tried it recently.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

As they say, "Patience is a virtue."
You never who's silently working on a game.
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
GuyBrush316 wrote:Please can anybody advise me if Toonstruck will ever became compatible on the Scumm VM as I cannot play it through any up-to-date systems.
There's no telling what will happen in the long run, of course, but I'm not aware of anyone working on it. However, the DOS version worked flawlessly in DOSbox when I tried it recently.
It takes a little elbow grease to get that game running flawlessly in dosbox.

The installer hangs up quite a bit, and several options don't work within the insatller, especially in regards to video resolution.

It also is very difficult to get around the default interlacing during the movies.

I had to install the game using vdms, and then change the true/false values within the config file several imes ebfore I could get the game to run non-interlaced with 640x480 resolution.

There are still a lto of graphical glitches though, such as dissapearing sprites.

These all dissapear in the 1/2 resolution mode, but (on my screen anyways) it compresses the menu and the text so much that it is unreadable.

I'd hate to think that the game wasn't tackled due to the sole reason that people think dosbox runs it fine ;)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

exofreeze wrote: The installer hangs up quite a bit, and several options don't work within the insatller, especially in regards to video resolution.
I don't remember having any problems with it, but I've seen different releases of the same game having different installation problems in DOSbox. For what it's worth, I have the Sold-Out Software release of the game.
exofreeze wrote: It also is very difficult to get around the default interlacing during the movies.
I wasn't even aware there was any setting for that. :)
exofreeze wrote: I'd hate to think that the game wasn't tackled due to the sole reason that people think dosbox runs it fine ;)
Probably not. Games tend to get supported if someone can provide us with the source code - original or reverse-engineered - for it. Assuming, of course, that the game fits within the scope of ScummVM.
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

It also is very difficult to get around the default interlacing during the movies.

I had to install the game using vdms, and then change the true/false values within the config file several imes ebfore I could get the game to run non-interlaced with 640x480 resolution.
exofreeze, any chance you could post more details of how you got the video working correctly, e.g. your dosbox conf file? I was playing around with it for ages yesterday, and couldn't get it...
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

I'm planning to try my best to track down anyone who might know the fate of the source code during the summer holidays. If anyone can help in that respect, your assistance is welcome.
clem

Post by clem »

Espiox wrote:I'm planning to try my best to track down anyone who might know the fate of the source code during the summer holidays. If anyone can help in that respect, your assistance is welcome.
according to mobygames it was developed by burst
burst belonged to Virgin Interactive Entertainment
Virgin eventually was bought by Titus
Titus apparently just vanished in a puff of smoke

the lead programmer might still be around, but I guess you'll have problems finding anyone who's allowed to give you the source, even if it's still available somewhere
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

I tried to contact Richard Hare about a year ago but he wasn't very cooperative. I couldn't find contacts for other people who worked on Toonstruck.

Edit: Wrong guy :)
Last edited by john_doe on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

I found one member of the development team, but she had nothing to do with the source code.

Anyway, I'd like to contribute to this project somehow, and I can't code to save my life. Toonstruck was good enough to warrant an extensive search or the source in my opinion.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

i thought you guys were only looking for permission?
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

spookypeanut wrote: exofreeze, any chance you could post more details of how you got the video working correctly, e.g. your dosbox conf file? I was playing around with it for ages yesterday, and couldn't get it...
Sure man, although the trick is more in getting the toonstruck config file set-up properly then the dosbox.conf file.

Dosbox has a hard time with it running it off the cd, it has major video display issues. Using the Sold-Out version I copied the ACT1, ACT2, BURST, and MISC folders to a directory (ie: TOON). Then copy all the root files to the root directory.

My dosbox.conf is standard except for the autoexec portion:
----------------------------
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount c c:\
mount D C:\pcgames\Games\TOON -t cdrom
c:
cd C:\pcgames\Games\toon
call TOONSTRK.BAT -b
exit
-----------------------------

IMPORTANT!!! The -b switch on the toonstrk.bat eliminates the sceren flicker. It is an undocumented switch that I found mentioned in an obscure forum by luck.

You can also use the -u command switch to disable VESA if you get VESA error messages.

Now, to get the game running properly the TOONSTRK.CFG file should read:
--------------------------------
[TOONSTRUCK]
CD = D:\

[CD]
TransferRate = 0

[CPU]
CPUID = x486

[VIDEO]
UniVBE = 0
Width = 640
Height = 400
PaletteWidth = 8
Linear = 1

[DIGITAL]
DeviceName = Sound Blaster
DeviceIRQ = 7
DeviceDMA = 1
DevicePort = 0x220
DeviceID = 0xe000
DeviceMonoID = 0xe000
Stereo = 0
TimerRate = 60
Flip = 0
--------------------------------

Other then the obvious importance of the CD line, the prime thing to notice here is the video section.

My original video section after running setup looked like this:
[VIDEO]
UniVBE = 0
640x400U = -1
640x480U = -1
640x400N = -1
640x480N = -1
Width = 320
Height = 200
PaletteWidth = 8
Linear = 1

It determined my system could not handle UniVBE first. then went down the list disqualifying all the 640x480 resolutions.

So I went back, cut all that out and manually set my Width and Height.

Once you start the game, go into your settings and change the video mode to High - this will de-interlace all the videos.

I have yet to figure out a way to get the game to automatically use this setting when starting up, or find a command line switch to auto enable it.

Best of luck!
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
exofreeze wrote: It also is very difficult to get around the default interlacing during the movies.
I wasn't even aware there was any setting for that. :)
Typically, through dosbox, your forec to play in 320x280 mode. In that mode you are not given the option to switch the video mode to "high" in the options menu (which de-interlaces the video).

So you have to force it into 640x480 mode, and then go hit the switch. Although, as my previous post indicates, forcing that mode causes a lot of graphic glitches which amazingly are mute if you use the -b switch.
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

Thank you very much for sharing your info. I've set everything as you said, but until I get round to playing the game I guess I can't check that it worked! Presumably, then, there's no way to get the introduction working correctly?

Thanks again.
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

spookypeanut wrote:Thank you very much for sharing your info. I've set everything as you said, but until I get round to playing the game I guess I can't check that it worked! Presumably, then, there's no way to get the introduction working correctly?

Thanks again.
the intro works fine - it's just interlaced.