"Choose a game" dialog not working on scummvm-0.10

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dboeren

"Choose a game" dialog not working on scummvm-0.10

Post by dboeren »

First off, thanks for the excellent work on porting this to the PalmOS! I've been running Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle on my Treo 700p quite successfully so far and it's great to be able to play these fine old games on the go.

But, I can only get the games to work if I use the "direct" method, selecting the game off the list from the green screen looking page.

If I instead try to add the game to the light blue menu screen following the FAQ instructions I always get the same result. It looks like it's loading, there's a delay, and then I'm kicked back out to the normal Palm desktop.

It's not critical, but it would save me some time starting up the games if it didn't have to scan for installed games every time.

A second issue is that on several occasions when I've tried to switch away from the ScummVM app and come back in the device locks up. I was unable to clear it by any means short of a hard reset, but the fake mouse cursor still works although nothing else does.

This second hasn't been a big issue so far, I just save the game periodically and if I have to redo a bit it's not so bad.

I am using the scummvm-0.10.0svn-palmos-os5.zip release.

Thanks!
dboeren

Post by dboeren »

Update:
I just got another lockup, which did not occur while switching away or back from other apps.

It was in Monkey Island, the ship had recently arrived at Monkey Island and I was just walking from below deck to the cannon when it froze.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

hmm... Im not sure about the second problem as i have never really suspended a game in that way.

There are a few things that "might" help with adding a game from the game manager:

-Make sure your card is selected, by default this is set to builtin or something similar, to do this tap the card icon on the top right of the launcher.

-double check to see if you have the appropriate gameid (tentacle,monkey) and engine selected (also you can make sure that you have the proper engine files in your /mods folder, allthough im pretty sure this isnt the problem as you can play in direct mode :wink: just covering bases so to say)

- If you used the full path as desribed in the readme/FAQ try replacing it with just the folder name (provided that you have the game folders in the ScummVM/Games/ folder)

I assume that you are using the jan 28 2007 svn build as there hasnt been a new one in a while (man i have to figure out how to compile this thing :P )

other things that you could provide to help us figure out whats wrong (ive been meaning to add a section like this to the FAQ but have been otherwise occupied) are:

Your add game dialog entries:
-Entry Name:
-Path:
-Game:
-Engine:

Also what is the brand of your memory card?

Anyways, i hope this helps
dboeren

Post by dboeren »

OK, that might be it. I made sure the SD card was selected and was able to start two games from the game manager, "monkey" and "tentacle".

I also noticed that I originally had "dott" rather than "tentacle" so that's another reason this game was not working. I'll check the rest later but for now I think it's OK. I will report back later once I can check them all. The card is a 1.0gb SanDisk. I also have another 512mb card at home I can try, but I don't know the brand offhand. I was planning to switch them anyway so the digital camera can have the bigger card.

Apparently if the directory or id is wrong it just dumps you back to the desktop rather than showing an error message, this might be a nice improvement for later.

And yes, this is the Jan 28th build.

Are there instructions on how to build the palmos version from the source somewhere?
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Very cool, im glad it works for you now.
For a quick reference of game id's see [url=htt://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php]here[/url]
{note:not all the games on this list are compatible with the palmOS port. eg: dig and ft are not currently supported}

I too use a 1.0G sandisk as one of my primary cards so i dont think there should be any problems with using it, mine has served me quite well :) Although personally i found 1 gig a little too limiting :wink: I immediately became hooked and had to jam my entire collection into my tiny little device :D Ive probably spent a little bit to much money on those little bits of blue plastic :wink:

Unfortuneatly im not aware of any place that has decent instructions for compiling from source, although its not impossible that there are some floating around somewhere perhaps even in a different language.

Anyways, im glad to have been of help, have fun with handheld monkey island :D
Chrilith
ScummVM Porter

Post by Chrilith »

Keep in mind there is a scumm.log file generated in the ScummVM/ folder of your card showing messages and errors.