Pocketpc and scummvm breaking pda

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

maxim

Pocketpc and scummvm breaking pda

Post by maxim »

Now, I dont know if this is just unlucky but I just thought I would point out that since using scumm vm on my high end pda, I have had to get the motherboard replaced not once , not twice but 5 times! I just thought I was being quite unlucky but then a friend pointed out to me that it could be Scumm VM doing this... I dont know if this is true or not but it seems since I have stopped using scumm vm on the PDA I have not had any problems with my PDA breaking... before when using Scumm VM I was sending my PDA back nearly every month...

Just thought I would mention this... like I said maybe its nothing....

Also, I want to say that I do like Scumm VM, dont get me wrong but just wanted to let you know what seems to be happening.. :)
clem

Post by clem »

thanks for the rather fuzzy warning, I will not buy any device that has "high end PDA" written on its box ever again

the incredible vagueness should create a nice urban legend too
maxim

Post by maxim »

lol
maxim

Post by maxim »

ipaq hx4700.....'high end ' back in 05...
maxim

Post by maxim »

hope others might find this post of some interest, as its apparent others dont.

keep up the good work Scumm VM
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

you CANNOT be serious about this.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

It's true! Hear him brothers! Using ScummVM blew up my friend's PC, it burned down a whole block of apartments because it caused a fire, and it also caused another PC to format itself!
ScummVM is responsible for planting illegal songs to a PC, destroying a PDA because it filled up its memory with evil instructions and for the death of my neighbor's small kitty, which dropped 5 floors down when it saw a PDA running ScummVM. It got scared so much it started running, fell down 5 floors and got squashed by a truck

It's all ScummVM's fault! Hear him my brethen! His friend is right! This program is evil! It's so evil it destroys PDAs without reason! It probably is nothing BUT WHAT IF IT'S NOT NOTHING? WHAT IF IT'S ALL A PART OF A GREATER PLAN? A PLAN TO... DESTROY ALL PDAs?

I think you should take this post very seriously, indeed :lol:
maxim

Post by maxim »

my god, it can't be scumm vm doing this to my pda... no way, not a chance in the world.. That's impossible

I will just put it down coincedence..
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Yes mate, it's a software designed to destroy your PDAs only. It hasn't crossed your mind that you might be doing something wrong, has it? I mean, if 3 of your PDAs were somehow broken from a piece of software, then all software out there would have the potential of breaking PDAs down.

Don't you think you're overreacting? Don't you believe that if there was something very seriously wrong with ScummVM, something that would be so wrong that would crash hardware to a point of no return, someone else would have reported it as well? There would be loads of users reporting such findings. Are you absolutely sure that it was ScummVM that broke your PDA? Could it not have been some sort of wrong handling from your side?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Huihui... slow it down :) Md5, right now I think you are the one overreacting a bit :). So let's all relax a bit and get all cool again... :)

maxim, I seriously doubt that ScummVM is responsible for your hardware failures. Buggy software can cause all sorts of trouble for your computer, but except for very special cases (think: flashable BIOS, and very bad *flashing* software), there are alittle to no chances that your actual hardware could be destroyed.

So you are very right to put it down to coincidence. Or rather: There might be a pattern there, but I doubt ScummVM is the true correlating factor.
Oh and then there is the possibility that your PDA's motherboard was never defective, but rather your vendor incorrectly told you it had to be replaced (either due to being incompetent, or because he tried to rip you off, I can't say). Mind you, I am not claiming that's the case, but it would hardly be the first time I'd see something like that happen ("What? Your computer doesn't boot anymore? Well, the BIOS must be broken, so we must exchange your motherboard!" when in truth only the windows installationg was broken. This has happened to a relative of mine. Luckily, he called me too and he saved a lot of money)
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

fingolfin wrote:"What? Your computer doesn't boot anymore? Well, the BIOS must be broken, so we must exchange your motherboard!"
I still get the occasional "AMD processors do not run MS Office very well and crash it" :-)
TheSpillmonkey

Post by TheSpillmonkey »

I had a cat that died from ScummVM
StarFish

Post by StarFish »

Yesterday my TV got damaged because I had put my PocketPC on it with ScummVM installed...
TheSpillmonkey

Post by TheSpillmonkey »

This is a story about a boy named Sean. When he was a little boy, all he ever wanted was his mother to love him and tell him she was proud of him. But she never did, because she was always working. Sean tried to tell his father, but was told to "suck it up" and "be a man". But his father never told him how to suck it up or be a man. So Sean bottled everything inside him, just like his father. Sean retreated to his own world, as he could never really relate to anybody else. People thought he was weird and made fun of him, but he got used to it. He always did. Then one day, Sean met Molly. Molly understood him and he understood her. For the first time in his life, Sean knew how he could be a better man. For her. Two weeks before the wedding, Sean installed ScummVM on his PocketPC and died. The End.
NLS

Post by NLS »

I heard that Atlantis sunk when SCUMMVM 0.1 was released.