OSX86 port

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sampson

OSX86 port

Post by sampson »

Just finished a port of scummvm to osx86. Works flawless :D
i included everything but hq-scaler, flac, alsa and tremor suport
this was compiled with the latest version of xcode tools.

http://rapidshare.de/files/8299812/scum ... 6.zip.html
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

We welcome new ports, but we prefer to have them official. Did you make any changes to ScummVM source code? If so, may, please, submit it to our bugtracker and review, so in the future it will be possible to build it straight out of the box. Also are you willing to be OSX86 builder? That means that you will be available at the time of our release and supply the binary.

Eugene
sampson

Post by sampson »

no changes to the code were required. i had to update the coreaudio driver because there was an issue with endianness in the ToneRequest function. switching from big to little made the program work flawless...i love sdl 8)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Very nice. Then there is still my second question remains. Are you willing to be a builder for us? If so, then I will need your real name, your e-mail (privately), so we could credit you and contact near a release. Then please, build 0.8.0 release from sources, write some simple README (if there is something system-specific, not covered by our standard one), and send it to me. Also do you know either there exist some OSX86-specific logo, so I could put it on our download page, or usual OSX logo is applicable?

My email is sev (at scummvm org).

Eugene
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

Please be a builder, Sampson. The OS X community needs you.

If I had two Macs, I'd have one with the dev tools installed...but I refuse to put dev tools on my main machine. So I'm stuck with the bi-annual snapshots of ScummVM for Mac. :(
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

sev wrote:Very nice. Then there is still my second question remains. Are you willing to be a builder for us? If so, then I will need your real name, your e-mail (privately), so we could credit you and contact near a release. Then please, build 0.8.0 release from sources, write some simple README (if there is something system-specific, not covered by our standard one), and send it to me. Also do you know either there exist some OSX86-specific logo, so I could put it on our download page, or usual OSX logo is applicable?

My email is sev (at scummvm org).

Eugene
Technically, Apple wants people to compile Universal Binaries. The yin yang-esque Universal logo that can be seen on this page: http://www.apple.com/universal/ is what Apple wants people to use for Universal Binaries.

Sure, the app size will be larger, but it's for simplicity's sake. Apple doesn't want people to worry about knowing which processor is in the Mac. Asking some people to figure out which binary to download is discouraged by Apple.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Yeah, but this philosophy sucks for people like me that are still using dial-up for their internet access. I can see why Apple want it to be easier for the user but doubling the download size in some cases just sucks big time and for people still using 10.3.9 (i.e. me!!) we have no use whatsoever for the Intel portion of the applications.

Jimbob
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

We're approaching 0.8.1 release (it is planned for next Monday), and I got no reply from sampson unfortunately.

Eugene
clem

Post by clem »

Yeah, but this philosophy sucks for people like me that are still using dial-up for their internet access.
most userfriendly way would probably be a universal build, an x86 build and a PPC build, then link to the universal build prominently and mention the others as "if you know what you're doing, download this"

clem
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

clem wrote:
Yeah, but this philosophy sucks for people like me that are still using dial-up for their internet access.
most userfriendly way would probably be a universal build, an x86 build and a PPC build, then link to the universal build prominently and mention the others as "if you know what you're doing, download this"

clem
Yes, probably ... or something along those lines.

Jimbob
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I actually plan to make an universal binary for OS X, using the cross compilers Apple ships with the recent developer tools, but I have no testers for it. So w/o those it's likely not to work properly...

If you are interested in seeing an official universal 0.8.1 binary (same for future versions), please contact me via email.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

(but if somebody with an x86 Mac and the dev tools wants to help me do this, including compiling the binary for x86, that still would be appreciated, because it is really annoying to have to cross compile tons of libraries ...)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

FYI, the official 0.8.1 mac binary for now is *not* universal. Mainly because I didn't have the time to cross compile all the required libraries (SDL, Ogg Vorbis, MAD, MPEG2DEC, zlib, FLAC, ...).
ZildjianKX

Post by ZildjianKX »

This is sort of an old thread, but I was attempting to compile the 0.8.2 source and am having some problems.

I can easily modify the quicktime.cpp and coreaudio.cpp from Big to Little Endian, but that's not effecting my compile problems.

Specifically I'm getting errors in quicktime.cpp in lines 86 and 87, stating that there is no match for the 'operator='

Then it says candidates are BigEndianShort in CarbonCore.framework/Headers/Endian.h line 261

and BigEndianFixed

Obviously there is an Endian issue still, but I'm just not sure how to fix it.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

It depends on how you performed the conversion, so it's kinda hard to say for sure from the distance. Did you use flippers for the conversion, or what changes did you make precisely?

You could try to replace
simpleNoteRequest.info.flags = 0;
simpleNoteRequest.info.polyphony = 11;

WRITE_BE_UINT16(& simpleNoteRequest.info.flags, 0);
WRITE_BE_UINT16(& simpleNoteRequest.info. polyphony, 11);

etc.