Monkey Island 1+2 WindowsXP

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Vinman09

Monkey Island 1+2 WindowsXP

Post by Vinman09 »

Hey, i've noticed that there's no topics with anything to do with Windows XP, i've read the faq and searched the forums but couldnt find anything.

I have the Monkey Island 1+2 twin disc which ran fine on my old Win95 computer, however, when i load the disc it says it is not compatible with dos on my XP sytem.

I tried the latest version of scummvm but whenever it loads it says Unable to open configuration file C:\windows\scummvm.ini! and i cant add games from any of the directories.

The faq and the readme didnt help me to figure this out, i tried installing scummvm into the windows directory without succes, also adding the monkey1+2 files into the same directory, also without success.

Please help as the monkey island games rock mah sox ^^

Also tried all of the above using the dos command prompt
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Vinman09

Post by Vinman09 »

ok i've read that topic and scummvm now opens without an error message, but it still wont detect the game cd in my D: drive. It wont detect the monkey1 or monkey2 files for some reason
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vinman09 wrote:ok i've read that topic and scummvm now opens without an error message, but it still wont detect the game cd in my D: drive. It wont detect the monkey1 or monkey2 files for some reason
I'm a bit unclear on exactly what you're doing here. On my CD, the Monkey Island 1 and 2 files are in the "monkey1" and "monkey2" folders on the CD. If you are just selecting "D" when adding the games, then ScummVM won't be able to find anything. If you double-click on D and then select either "monkey1" or "monkey2", it should be able to find them. This may be so obvious that you've already tried it, but you'd be surprised how often people miss that you have to double-click to descend through the file tree. I'm not sure how ScummVM should advertise that more clearly...

Note that playing the CD version of Monkey Island 1 directly from the CD is known to cause trouble, at least under Windows. Apparently it doesn't like both reading data and playing CD music from the same CD, at the same time. The most convenient way to run the games would be to copy the necessary files to the hard disk, and rip the Monkey Island 1 sound track to MP3, Ogg Vorbis or FLAC as described in the README file.
Vinman09

Post by Vinman09 »

omg lol, u were right about the double click thing, it found the files straight away, cheers for the help.

Seems to run the game fine straight from the disc :)

Thanks all
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Note that playing the CD version of Monkey Island 1 directly from the CD is known to cause trouble, at least under Windows. Apparently it doesn't like both reading data and playing CD music from the same CD, at the same time.
I read that some times now about a strange old Windows(tm) bug.

Is there a bit more info from the developers?

What does happen if you do? I never heard of that bug and would like to know where the problem is.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Herrscher wrote:I read that some times now about a strange old Windows(tm) bug.

Is there a bit more info from the developers?

What does happen if you do? I never heard of that bug and would like to know where the problem is.
I don't really know since I don't run Windows, but I think the most common symptom was that ScummVM would crash for some when entering the SCUMM Bar. Possibly because that's one of the first places where you're likely to hear music after the intro.
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

eriktorbjorn wrote:I don't really know since I don't run Windows, but I think the most common symptom was that ScummVM would crash for some when entering the SCUMM Bar. Possibly because that's one of the first places where you're likely to hear music after the intro.
Okay. But is something known about the cause?! When reading audio data, accessing data at the same time gives CRC errors, or what?! :?:
Patrick_Furlong

Post by Patrick_Furlong »

For some reason, on the previous version, my twin CD of Monkey Island 1 + 2 wouldn't work but on this version, it does if I copy the MONKEY1 and MONKEY2 folders onto teh hard drive, but keep using the CD for the audio.