In secret of monkey island..

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

canche

In secret of monkey island..

Post by canche »

I was having fun with secret of monkey island but when I tried to save! the message saids Failed to save monkey.s01......I can't save my game inside the psp! Does anybody have a same problem?
and tell me how to fix... :cry:
Filmchick

Post by Filmchick »

I've also had the same problem. I have even tried changing the Save Game path in ScummVM and it indeed updates the .ini file on the memory card. However, the problem keeps persisting and it tries to write to the same default path.

I tried to change the save path and delete the original folder, but the "scummvm_savegames" directory keeps on recreating itself every time I load ScummVM. I'm not sure what seems to be the problem. Does it have anything to do with the size of my memory stick (32mb)? Ther is still 5mb free on the card and the save games are very small (11kb).

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks for creating such a kickass product!
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

The save path is hard-coded and changing it in the launcher has no effect.
As for the save problems, I have no idea.

I never had this problem, and my first guess would be lack of diskspace.
Does this happen with MI1 only?
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

I've not had any save probs in MI1 or any other game I've played so far for that matter. My MI version is the one with cd audio (re-encoded to ogg), so maybe the problem is exclusive to a particular version of MI1.
Filmchick

Post by Filmchick »

This happens with MI1 only so far. I am playing the talkie version of Loom (mp3s) and it saves fine utilizing ScummVM .8 and Eboot .85, PSP FW 2.0.

I just ordered a 2gb memory card and I'll try MI1 again on it and let you know if it's a size issue.

The version of MI1 that I am using is Monkey Madness CD with mp3 cbr audio. It works beautifully but after 15 minutes or so, it can no longer save.

SFAOK-- which version of MI1 are you using and what FW is your PSP? Also, the size of your memory card and eboot/scummvm version would be helpful to isolating the problem. Thanks!!!
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

Well I thought I didn't have this problem but then I haven't really played MI apart from to check if I could save. However, I did play it for about 15-20 minutes to see if I could replicate the problem and, sure enough, after about 15 minutes it fails to save and also the save I had made before is missing.

I thought it may have been wiped somehow, but when I reload MI1 the save (along with the auto-save) is there again; so it seems that after 15 or so minutes it is no longer looking in the correct save directory and its trying to save somewhere else.

I think my version is the white label one (MI1 and 2 combo), not 100% sure as I've long since thrown the box out, just kept the disc.

I'm using a 1 gig stick with about 600mb free so its definately not a space issue. So far MI1 is the only game I've played with this issue and I've played quite a few till completion.

I'll grab the CVS version that was posted in another thread and try it on that at some point.
Filmchick

Post by Filmchick »

Thanks for your response...now I know it's just not me! If anyone else is able to successfully play MI1 and save after 15-20 minutes please let us know what version you are using.

I'm trying to load MI1,2&3 on the PSP so I can introduce the brilliance of adventure games to my friend who has never played them before. Only problem is, I want him to start at #1 and it's not fully functional on the PSP yet (as far as I know). I'm hoping that this is the only game with that problem....
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Everyone that's experiencing this bug; please comment on http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418820

This problem seems isolated to MI1 CD version (is anyone having this problem with the floppy version?).
My first guess is it's a problem with the number of open file handles, but I'll have to check.
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

Bug reported. Should add that I couldn't reproduce the bug from loading a saved game and playing that for about half-an-hour. MI1 CD seems to be perfectly playable until a new version of scummvm is out you'll just remember to save often. Just pretend you're playing one of those old sierra games :wink:

I'd refrain from sticking Curse of Monkey Island on the PSP just yet Filmchick, its not really playable at the moment. Its pretty slow in the latest scummvm rls. I just hope the PSP has enough juice to run it well when the code is optimised and tinkered with in the future.