The story of a very happy guy ;-)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tetram

The story of a very happy guy ;-)

Post by Tetram »

Hi,

I've just registered for only one reason : I'm happy ! Yes, that may sound stupid, but on such forum users are mostly registered in order to complain, or to search help.

I do not have any problem : I'm just too happy !

Here's the story : 6 month ago, I bought a DS. A bit disappointed by the impossibility of running homebrews by default, I searched a solution. The main goal was to run ScummVM DS. Reading (too) quickly the FAQ on the main site, I decided to buy the M3lite...

2 weeks later, I tested scummVM... in vain ! I was very sad, and when I read on the forum that M3 lite was working only in Zip mode, I got angry against M3 team who didn't give the FAT source code of they're card reader...

Time passed, and yesterday I came back, looking for some news. I've downloaded the scummvmds0-9-1a-beta2 with DLDI version, then patch if with agent_hq patch for M3 lite... and it worked like a charm !

Now I'm very happy : as I've got the original disc, I can play Sam & Max and DOTT with the big monster.sou, without major slowdowns nor pop in the sound. It's just fantastic !

I felt back in childhood, remembering the long hours passed with these games...

That's all : I wanted to let agentq and all the scummVM team know how much their work can make someone happy ! I'm to make a donation, but I haven't decided yet to whom...

Again, Thanks a lot !

Tetram, a French user of ScummVM DS
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: The story of a very happy guy ;-)

Post by sev »

Tetram wrote:I do not have any problem : I'm just too happy !
Nice to hear that :)
Tetram wrote: That's all : I wanted to let agentq and all the scummVM team know how much their work can make someone happy ! I'm to make a donation, but I haven't decided yet to whom...
You may donate to whole ScummVM Team (which agentq is also belongs to), there are donation buttons on www.scummvm.org website. They seemingly offer fixed amount of money to donate, but you may just change that in URL string.

Eugene
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Of course, there's also a donation button at the bottom of the ScummVM DS site.
Tetram

Post by Tetram »

OK.
I'm going to find out what I'll do.

BTW, after a few days playing, the sole thing I regret is the low level of the sound on certain games, even if I set the volume to maximum in the option screen.

Thanks again !
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

Tetram wrote:OK.
I'm going to find out what I'll do.

BTW, after a few days playing, the sole thing I regret is the low level of the sound on certain games, even if I set the volume to maximum in the option screen.

Thanks again !
I have this problem too with only Simon 2.
Tetram

Post by Tetram »

I've got the "problem" with DOTT (french version with english speech from the compilation "le meilleur de Lucas Art") and Indiana Jone : fate of the atlantis (english talkie version from an old and dusty CD bought during some holidays in London)
Maybe there is a solution with scummVM tool ?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The sound volume isn't the loudest, no. But I find that when I turn the volume up in the options screen and on the DS, that it's plenty loud on headphones, and on speakers it's ok. Not fantastic, but then the DS isn't that loud anyway, even in commercial games.

FM synthesis (used by all of the Scumm games) usually makes for quiet audio too, since the code is usually written to make sure that the sound fits into the buffer with all channels playing. Normally, only some of the channels are playing.
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

The problem in Simon, at least for me, is that no matter how I adjust the different volume settings, Simon's voice is always not loud enough in comparison to the music.
Tetram

Post by Tetram »

agentq wrote:The sound volume isn't the loudest, no. But I find that when I turn the volume up in the options screen and on the DS, that it's plenty loud on headphones, and on speakers it's ok. Not fantastic, but then the DS isn't that loud anyway, even in commercial games.

FM synthesis (used by all of the Scumm games) usually makes for quiet audio too, since the code is usually written to make sure that the sound fits into the buffer with all channels playing. Normally, only some of the channels are playing.
Ok. Actually, with headphones it's perfect. But there is a huge difference between the loudness in Sam & Max and Indy 4 for instance.

BTW, thanks for the historical reason of this low sound level ;)