Kyrandia 3: Malcolm's Revenge needed files

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Kyrandia 3: Malcolm's Revenge needed files

Post by md5 »

Hello

I just wanted to play around with Kyrandia 3. I know it's not yet supported, I just wanted to launch it to see its current status, because according to the Kyra wiki page, the kyra engine can play the game's intro (or do you mean Kyra 2 instead of Kyra 3 there? Cause I can see the menu and part of Kyra 2's intro)

What are the needed files to run it?

I installed the game and copied the MALCOLM folder from my CD to the HD, but no luck :( When I point ScummVM to the MALCOLM folder, it recognizes the game fine, but when I launch it I always get the same error:
Looking for kyra3
Trying to start game 'The Legend of Kyrandia: Malcolm's Revenge'
WARNING: couldn't load 'INTRO.XMI'!
WARNING: Couldn't find music file: 'INTRO.ADL'!
couldn't load font file '6.FNT'!
I don't have any of these files in my folder. I got an "8.FNT" file in the folder where the game has been installed (not 6.FNT) and I can't find any files (packed or not) called "INTRO.*". I only have some files called K3INTRO?.VQA (? = 0-2)

So which files are needed? :)
Thanks in advance
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Kyrandia 3: Malcolm's Revenge needed files

Post by eriktorbjorn »

md5 wrote:the kyra engine can play the game's intro (or do you mean Kyra 2 instead of Kyra 3 there? Cause I can see the menu and part of Kyra 2's intro)
The Kyrandia 3 intro is a cutscene (VQA) movie. ScummVM has decoders for that, and for the music (AUD) files.
md5 wrote:What are the needed files to run it?
I don't remember exactly. The MALCOLM folder sounds like a good start, but there's also a file called westwood.001 that you need. From what I remember, this file is unpacked when the game is installed, but ScummVM should be able to handle it in its packed form. (It's not compressed, it's basically just a bunch of files that have been concatenated into one, as I recall it.)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Yes, that was it, thanks! When I copy westwood.001 in the MALCOLM folder, the game launches fine

Well, the intro works, with some minor palette glitches (quite apparent in the scene with the baby Malcolm and the cat) but other than that, the intro video plays fine :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

md5 wrote:Yes, that was it, thanks! When I copy westwood.001 in the MALCOLM folder, the game launches fine

Well, the intro works, with some minor palette glitches (quite apparent in the scene with the baby Malcolm and the cat) but other than that, the intro video plays fine :)
Hmm... I never noticed any glitches, but I can't check right now since I don't have ScummVM on this computer. Have you compared it with DOSbox to see if it renders it differently?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I've looked at the intro cutscene twice now, and I don't see any palette glitches. The only glitch-like thing I see is that the background shifts slightly at regular intervals. It's probably most noticeable early in the cutscene, where you see Kyrandia from above.

But that's normal behaviour.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

That's strange... the first time I ran the intro, the purple parts of the cat showed up as white, now it works as it should

Weird