HorrorSoft game demos required.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kirben

HorrorSoft game demos required.

Post by Kirben »

I'm currently looking for demos (Amiga, AtariST, or PC) of the following games from HorrorSoft:
Personel Nightmare
Elvira - Mistress of Darkness
Elvira II - The Jaws of Cerberus
Waxworks

So far I have only been able to find a non-interactive Amiga demo of Elvira - Mistress of Darkness.

An Atari ST demo of Elivra - Mistress of Darkness was definately released on a disk of the Zero magazine in the past too (See image of the cover disk).

I'm not sure if demos were released of other games listed though, but hopefully demos will be found.
Last edited by Kirben on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Well, that image links to a (sorry for the pun) disk image in .adz (gzipped adf) format -- can't you just extract it from there?
fac

Post by fac »

For those who don't know how to extract the needed files from this type of files:

1 - Use winrar (http://www.rarsoft.com/) to extract files from gzipped format.
2 - Use Adf Opus (http://adfopus.sourceforge.net/) to extract files from ADF archieve.

PS: Don't need to do this with this demo. It's not detected by ScummVM. But it may be usefull for other Amiga/AtariST demos/games.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

fingolfin wrote:Well, that image links to a (sorry for the pun) disk image in .adz (gzipped adf) format -- can't you just extract it from there?
The web site is an archive of cover disks for the Amiga system. And the Elvira 1 demo isn't on the Amiga disk image available on the web site.

I assume they used a dual format floppy disk, with the Elvira 1 demo on the AtariST side.
fac wrote:For those who don't know how to extract the needed files from this type of files:

1 - Use winrar (http://www.rarsoft.com/) to extract files from gzipped format.
2 - Use Adf Opus (http://adfopus.sourceforge.net/) to extract files from ADF archieve.
Actually step 1 isn't required, as ADF Optus can already handle gzipped compressed images.
fac wrote:PS: Don't need to do this with this demo. It's not detected by ScummVM. But it may be usefull for other Amiga/AtariST demos/games.
On a related note, I have all known Amiga demos of games (supported by ScummVM), on a web site in zip format.
WNivek

Post by WNivek »

As luck would have it, I happen to have that Zero disk in the drawer beside me.

This zip archive contains both an ST disk image, and the extracted demo files.

As was previously noted, said demo does not currently run in ScummVM. And even if it did, it's not a proper playable demo... more just a slide-show with music.

If you want to try it in an emulator or something, note that the mid-screen palette-change is timed for 50 Hz displays.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

WNivek wrote:As luck would have it, I happen to have that Zero disk in the drawer beside me.

As was previously noted, said demo does not currently run in ScummVM. And even if it did, it's not a proper playable demo... more just a slide-show with music.
Thanks for the demo, basic support will be included in the next daily snapshot of ScummVM.

I noticed the demo played music under an Atari ST emulator, but not sure where the music data is stored.
Trekky

Elvira 2 C64 Tape Demo

Post by Trekky »

Kirben

Re: Elvira 2 C64 Tape Demo

Post by Kirben »

Thanks for the link, as far as I know the Commodore 64 versions of Elivra 1/2 were produced by another company (Flair Software) and didn't use the AGOS engine.

I updated the original post, to mention the platforms.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Where did the Elvira Amiga demo come from btw? I wouldn't mind the original coverdisk if possible. :)
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

marzipan wrote:Where did the Elvira Amiga demo come from btw? I wouldn't mind the original coverdisk if possible. :)
The Amiga disk image can be found in Downloads section at Horrorsoft History.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

An AtariST demo of Personal Nightmare exists, and was part of the public domain disks (PD 136: Personal Nightmare) offered by SynTax Adventure Magazine.

Does anyone still have the AtariST demo of Personal Nightmare?

EDIT: The Personal Nightmare demo was kindly provided, by Sue from SynTax Adventure Magazine.