So ... no action here at all...

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

NLS

So ... no action here at all...

Post by NLS »

PPC build is dying? The last post (before this one) was... mine 3-4 days ago. :(

Pity.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Gee, just because nobody is talking about it doesn't mean it's dead. Some (many? most?) developers prefer using their spare time to work on their code / port, rather than idling around in the forums. :)
NLS

Post by NLS »

The thing is that we didn't see anything (on PPC), not just posts.

Luckily a (Greek) dev, made some build a few days ago after soooooo long. Let's hope it won't take as long for the next build.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

That "greek" dev is our official WinCE port maintainer. That you didn't see anything here means nothing -- we do not have time to report about everything we do in the forums. So it's absolutly invalid to draw any conclusion from lack of activity in the forums (or the converse), or from the absenece/presence of recent builds for a certain platform.
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Just be a little bit more patient. You just have to be patient with the ScummVM project, I bet most ScummVM developers have their own private life(tm) which occupies them more than this project does. They have to attend to their jobs because they won't earn any money from the ScummVM project even with some donations. They all work on ScummVM within their leisure time and have a lot of work to do with the project (eliminating bugs, improving some code, etc.). And the porters of ScummVM have also quite big tasks, like checking compatibility of the builds for the different platforms supported.
Just wait a while. I bet when the next BIG testing for 0.10.0 is going to be announced (soon?), a new better Pocket PC build of ScummVM will be available after testing.
Btw.: If you want new builds so badly, just compile one for yourself. If you can't handle it, then wait for the official build, like myself.
NLS

Post by NLS »

just a few points...

1) fingolfin, when I say here, I mean in the site, not just the forum and I didn't see any SVN for months - correct?

2) I respect "Real Life"(TM) - we all have one (hopefully)

3) I just asked for a newer build, not anything super special. I suspect most of the changes that needed to be made to the source (or maybe even just compiler parameters) on last build, were needed in this build also.

4) Not all people can or have the tools to compile, in fact I am fed up (sorry if this sounds harsh adventureguy) of this bold statement someone HAS to bring up, on any open source project when someone "dares" to request something.

Anyway, all devs keep up the good work.
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

NLS wrote: 4) Not all people can or have the tools to compile, in fact I am fed up (sorry if this sounds harsh adventureguy) of this bold statement someone HAS to bring up, on any open source project when someone "dares" to request something.
Sorry if I annoyed you with my statement, but I can't compile the Pocket PC port of ScummVM myself,too, to be fair. I just meant that knakos, the porter of PocketScumm, can't do a PPC daily build like the Windows daily build. He said so in another thread here.
knakos wrote:By all means, if anyone can spare the time or bandwidth. Lately I've been busy re-porting the wince port to a gcc toolchain which should facilitate svn builds to boot. I really have to balance my time between: 1) Bugfixing, 2) Improving, 3) Building, 4) Optimizing and 5) Re-porting, so it's not that easy to prioritize between those things.
So all I was trying to say was if you can't wait for a new official compilation, you have to do it yourself or ask someone who has the right tools, skills and free time to do it.

Anyway, a new build is there and ready to be played. :wink:
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Alright guys, let's not get worked up over what I believe are trivial (or at least beside the point, in my view) matters. There's a very good reason an svn build wasn't available all this time: I just didn't want to release semi-working builds (see last gcc build), hence broken in the user's perspective, until the code + tools where *very* stable. In fact, an extra ~1.5 - 2 weeks were spent adding the new engines and re-testing old ones to ensure at least the baseline functionality.

During this long period, there was no way I could commit as to when something working would be produced and even more scary was the fact I was not sure if the process would be successful. The end result is thankfully so much better and cleaner - no longer do we need to do some dirty hacking in the code to get it running right. Further, the infrastructure is there to support even automatic daily builds, a thing I may consider doing.

I rarely want to commit in public about the port, but in the interests of showing that hey-someone-is-really-working-on-the-port, my next order of business is to finally hack some stuff I want to do in the sdl lib (better keyboard handling, screen centering on large displays) which should kill *long, long* standing bugs and then bugfix the games supported.

There's always room for improvement :-)

Kostas
NLS

Post by NLS »

thanks for everything Kosta, I checked the new build with some AGI titles and seems work as good as the desktop build

as a side note, I really hope we will see a normal keyboard (at least positioned QWERTY not ABCDE) in the future