Sierra games runnable on the Scumm DS port?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

squinty

Sierra games runnable on the Scumm DS port?

Post by squinty »

Just curious if the DS port of Scummvm supports the new Sarien module that Scumm just imported. Or if anyone has gotten something like DOSBOX to work on the DS?
Shtroodle

Post by Shtroodle »

I'm sure that DOSBOX is way beyond possibilities of NDS but it would be really great if we could play some of the later Sierra games on the DS. Brian Provinciano - who was the creator of GBAGI (The Game Boy Advance Adventure Game Interpreter) - stated this on his homepage:

"...I began developing an engine which would run adventure games for the Game Boy Advance with the graphics and capabilities of the later Sierra games. In fact, I wrote graphics conversion utilities which would convert all the graphics to my engine's format. I also built a fairly in depth decompiler for Sierra's later games, which converted their byte code into a high level language which would allow me to easily convert them to the GBA without the need for original source code, keeping everything intact. I built a significant amount of the engine, including the VM and a C++-like compiler..."

Unfortunately, Brian had to leave the development but it seems to me that the later Sierra adventure games are pretty much possible on DS considering he almost suceeded porting them on GBA. Older Sierra games should probably post no problems - at least in the memory/performance department. On the other hand I'm no programmer and know nothing about ScummVM code-wise, so I'll leave the answer to agentq or someone who is much more competent than I am - which should be almost everyone ;)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I had a go at the Sarien code a while back, and there were several obvious bugs with it at the time, but the games did basically work. So I would say there is every hope if it being included in the next version of ScummVM DS.

GBAGI is a very impressive project, and I would think that the some of the SCI sierra games should work fine on the DS, if there was an engine for it.