ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > General Discussion > What are the best versions of each game? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
What are the best versions of each game?
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
Kirben
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by OmerMor
The best Maniac Mansion version is of course Maniac Mansion Deluxe, by LucasFan.

The Maniac Maniac Deluxe version by fans is the worse version, most of the content was just taken from DOTT and they weren't creative at all. The only real advantage, was a slightly inproved interface.

quote:
Originally posted by Shanks
Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the PC version of Atlantis over the FM Towns version? Same question for MI2... any particular reason? I'm just wondering if I should persue getting the FM Towns versions, or just stick with the PC CD versions I currently own...

I don't think the FM-TOWNS versions of FOA and MI2 offered any advantages, compared to the PC versions.

The FM Towns versions of FOA and MI2 are quite buggy under ScummVM at the moment too.
Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:51 am 
OmerMor
Got a warning

1. I never asked for MM Deluxe to be supported in ScummVM, I just stated that it's the best MM version, IMO.
2. What do you think of the idea I suggested:

quote:
why not add a wiki page which gives the best versions of each game in a table with various criterias, like sound, graphics, content (e.g. Floppy Loom has longer dialoges than CD Loom)?

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:42 pm 
exofreeze
Banned

quote:
1. I never asked for MM Deluxe to be supported in ScummVM, I just stated that it's the best MM version, IMO.

exactly. It's irritating to see that people can't state an opinion around here half the time without someone throwing a "READ THE FAQ" comment at them.
Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cappuchok

quote:
Originally posted by Kirben
Monkey Island 1 - PC CD version
Monkey Island 2 - PC version
Loom - PC CD version (For speech) or FM Towns version (For story)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - FM Towns version
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - PC version
Zak KcKracken - FM Towns verison
Maniac Mansion - PC Enhanced version

Personally I would prefer the Amiga versions over the above for the superior music quality, but that's just me. Of course there is the benefit of 256 colours on the VGA and FM-Towns versions listed above, which may be more important to some users.
So I think the question of which release is the best one of each game is rather unfair and answers will be biased. I think all versions are great in their own right, even if only by the virtue of being yet another port.
Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:24 am 
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by cappuchok

Personally I would prefer the Amiga versions over the above for the superior music quality, but that's just me. Of course there is the benefit of 256 colours on the VGA and FM-Towns versions listed above, which may be more important to some users.
So I think the question of which release is the best one of each game is rather unfair and answers will be biased. I think all versions are great in their own right, even if only by the virtue of being yet another port.

Indeed. There are even those who consider the PC Speaker music to be far superior, which seems incredible to me.
Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:17 am 
Kirben
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by cappuchok

My original list is still accurate, even for the best music in each game:
The FM Towns version of Zak McKracken offers CD audio for music.
The PC CD version of Monkey Island 1 offers CD audio for music.
The FM Towns version of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade offers CD audio for music.
The FM Towns version of Loom offers CD audio for music.

For Amiga versions, only Maniac Mansion could be considered better sound wise, depending on personal opnion.

The Amiga versions of FOA and MI2 actually had most of the music and sound effects removed.

The original designers of each game, would have been limited by the capabilities of each platform, at the time of release. So generally the platform with the most capabilities, would offer the best version of what the designers wanted for each game too.
Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:04 am 
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

quote:
Originally posted by Shanks
quote:
Originally posted by Kirben
Monkey Island 1 - PC CD version
Monkey Island 2 - PC version
Loom - PC CD version (For speech) or FM Towns version (For story)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - PC version
Zak KcKracken - FM Towns verison
Maniac Mansion - PC Enhanced version

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the PC version of Atlantis over the FM Towns version? Same question for MI2... any particular reason? I'm just wondering if I should persue getting the FM Towns versions, or just stick with the PC CD versions I currently own...

As far as I have played it, Indy4 FM-Towns doesn't have any advantage over the PC version.

However, I have finished MI2 FM-Towns several times, and it has some additional digital sound-effects instead of AdLib-Effekts in the PC version.

Examples are: Woodsaw at woodworker, ship-horn on Booty Island, Spitting sounds, etc.

I must insist, that this is really nothing making it worth spending over 300 bucks on this game, except when you're a notorious collector.
Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:49 am 
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by joachimeberhard

However, I have finished MI2 FM-Towns several times, and it has some additional digital sound-effects instead of AdLib-Effekts in the PC version.

Examples are: Woodsaw at woodworker, ship-horn on Booty Island, Spitting sounds, etc.

The PC version of MI2 has a couple of digitized sound effects, too. I didn't know the FM-Towns version had additional ones.
Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:19 pm 
lukeman3000
Got a warning

quote:
The best Maniac Mansion version is of course Maniac Mansion Deluxe, by LucasFan.

Anyway - since this question is raised quite often, why not add a wiki page which gives the best versions of each game in a table with various criterias, like sound, graphics, content (e.g. Floppy Loom has longer dialoges than CD Loom)?

I think such a reference page whould be very usefull.

Omer Mor.

I stumbled across this thread in my searches for such a reference page. I agree that something like this would be very useful. Even if some of these things are subjective, it could be based on "popular opinion" or people could vote on which aspects of any given game that they like the best (graphics, sound, etc.)
Post Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:47 pm 
ancalimonungol

Monkey Island 1 - Amiga version
Monkey Island 2 - FM Towns version
Loom - FM Towns version
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - FM Towns version
Zak KcKracken - FM Towns version
Maniac Mansion - Amiga version

The Amiga versions of Monkey Island 2 and Fate of Atlantis have smooth 50fps and 60fps scrolling.

The Amiga versions of Monkey2 and Indy4 have most of the songs removed because it already came on 11 disks. But the music usually sounds and feels better on Amiga especially when you had low quality midi samples on your PC sound card. At least that was what my PC friends thought when they played the game on my Amiga back 90s.

Post Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:24 am 
MusicallyInspired

I never could stand Amiga music. But smother scrolling sounds nice.

Post Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Les

Ok, deleted my previous comment, just realised the time of the discussion Very Happy

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:20 pm 
Lord Savage

quote:
Originally posted by joachimeberhard

I must insist, that this is really nothing making it worth spending over 300 bucks on this game, except when you're a notorious collector.

As a somewhat notorious collector I have to agree with joachimeberhard on his accessment of MI2 FM-Towns. It is the best it even has a crackling fire sound event at the beginning.

FOA and MI1 FM-Towns when I got them and played through them were a major let down but, like Pokemon, I had to catch them all. Very Happy

Last edited by Lord Savage on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:09 am 
AncoldArts

The PC versions for Monkey Island 1/2 and Maniac Mansion are the best for me. Can't comment on the others as I haven't tried more than 1 version of them.

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:49 pm 
LavaDrop

Best version according to what criteria?

Loom VGA has more colors but the art is crude compared to the EGA version and there are scenes missing.

Future Wars Amiga has a better soundtrack compared to the PC MT-32 version.

Maniac Mansion Amiga has OCS graphics (320x200/256 32 colors/4096 max) with a very basic and limited soundtrack while the NES version uses the PPU (256x224/240 25 color/54 max) with a much lengthier and diverse soundtrack.

Monkey Island EGA shows the pier just as the sun sets, while the VGA version the scene is clearly night.

Post Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:12 pm 
Reply to topic