What are the best versions of each game?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JohnnyW

Post by JohnnyW »

Kirben wrote:
OmerMor wrote:The best Maniac Mansion version is of course Maniac Mansion Deluxe, by LucasFan.
The Maniac Maniac Deluxe version by fans is the worse version, most of the content was just taken from DOTT and they weren't creative at all. The only real advantage, was a slightly inproved interface.
I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but MM Deluxe is indeed the best version of MM. They closed off all the dead ends and generally improved the game all around while keeping the original art style. Even Ron Gilbert was a fan:

"Congratulations on Maniac Mansion Deluxe. That is the coolest thing I've seen in years!!! I spent the night playing through the game, and it brought back incredible memories. When I started playing I was sure I had forgotten all the puzzles, but after a few minutes, I was whipping through it. You guys did an amazing job. My hat is off to you."

If you want the original experience (which, to be honest, I really enjoy) then the original may be better, but in terms of gameplay (especially for a new player) MM Deluxe is the better experience.