scummvm DS compatibility

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MasterX

scummvm DS compatibility

Post by MasterX »

is there mabye a compatibility list for this port.

i tried to load loom cd version(nice colours) but cd version doesnt work with the sound has anyone managed to fix this.

also i cant seem to detect anyother of the scummvm games like simon the sorcerer and flight of the amazon queen.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

It's bad that you didn't use forums search before your first post. Actualy it's violation of our forum rules.

Basically, DS port is not official, though we're conducting negotiations with its author about making it official. So we can't answer your questions at this moment.

Eugene
Yoko99

Post by Yoko99 »

Really, I don't mean to be an ass or anything, but...to get here, I clicked a link that clearly states this is THE place to talk about just that, unofficial scummvm ports.

"Other Ports - Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM"

So, very sorry, but I'll just talk about it..if that's a bad move, sorry again, just delete the post..(altho I really don't see why it would, really, let's credit the guys who port the stuff (Neil Millstone aka agentq, in this case) by at least talking about it, personnally, I found that port is all awesomeness.)

So !
In answer to MasterX, if I may :
What exactly are these Loom CD version files you have, cos I tried it too with a Track1.ogg which contains all the audio of the game, apparently.
Same result, no sound, but I'm wondering, cos...

well, here's the deal :

(I think I should post this in one of the Main forums and the Dreamcast forum too, that would'nt be a pb, would it ?)

I have a Track1.ogg, and a Track1.mp3 I found lying around the net which both work fine in the Windows ScummVM (Don't sweat it guys, I've also got Loom CD Version as an original).

And that's the weirdest part, actually. That Original CD I have , I never got the sound working...in Scummvm on Windows..because when I just stick the CD in the Dreamcast, ScummVMdc 0.4, I think it is..reads it JUST fine, with all the sound..
It's actually the only way I've found so far to play my oroginal Loom CD w/ full sound...using my dreamcast...and windows won't do that, how weird...

So, about the DS port I have many more things to find out(especially about saving and about if yes or no, I'll be able to ever play anything talkie on it),so I will get back to you when I get my 2gb SD card. ^^
I'll experiment and stuff.
But in the meantime, all I can say about Loom is I've had the same result you've had using an ogg track, wonder what you've tried..
I'll try the mp3 track if I find it, but I have doubts, after all, I guess we'd know if it had mp3 or Ogg support, it would say so in the readme...

Oh, another thing about Loom, I CANNOT find any files ressembling an audio something on the CD when I browse it in Windows explorer. Meaning :
Properties on the drive w/ the CD in it tells me the total size of the files is 43 Mbs so the audio is there, but when I open it to try and see those files I see the game files as usual which add up to 3-4 Mbs, but nothing else...

I must be missing out on something very obvious here ...:/

and one last thing about saving : I don't quite know how it works, the readme file says you can only have 1 save f&le per game( it also say there's a 30 Mb file limit, hmmm...), BUT
I clearly remember having saved, turned off my DS, turned it back on, then reloaded my saves..for Monkey Island AND loom, yes I had 2 saves for 2 separate games at the same ttime, I'm positive.
Only problem is , I dunno what I did and what I did'nt do. The thing does'nt work anymore.
Now I cannot keep my save at all, not even one for one game.
I'll just repack the games and experiment..well, back to you soon when I get my card ! :)

Hey, do tell me if it's not alright to go tell the same stories about Loom and stuff in other threads, or else I'll be doing it in a coupla days.
Cheers !

PS : Sorry sev if I ended up completely ignoring what you said, but...I really think you were mistaking somewhere...right ?
loooool, don't delete my post ^^
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Okay, I will keep myself and will not delette your post.

#1. Did you ever think that there is a real reason behind that rule #0? NO WAREZ. Ignore it and ScummVM will be shut down by LEC lawyers in several days. So if you're really thankful to us, don't do it or at least don't talk about it. If you want to steal, we're not DMCA to stop you, but we're didn't take any part in your law violation. Forum Rule #0.

#2. Windows Explorer never ever shown audio tracks on mixed mode CDs. But if you would be a nice user and read ScummVM README file, you would notice this paragraph:
CD Audio Games:
- When playing games that use CD Audio (Towns variants, Loom CD, etc),
users of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP may experience random crashes.
This is due to a long-standing Windows bug, resulting in corrupt
game files being read from the CD. Please copy the game data to
your harddrive to avoid this.
Seems quite clear to me. Forum Rule #1.

#3. ScummVM DS port isn't official. We just don't know how it is implemented there, so can not give any valuable help to you. Our negotiations with its porter stalled at this moment, but probably we will see more results from another party. Forum Rule #3.

#4. Speaking of your last comment. Again, Forum Rule #4. Respect the moderator.

So you guy are so "good" to us with breaking 4 rules at once in your very first post. Should we stop developing ScummVM and do nothing but chat with ignorant users?

Eugene
Empyrean

Post by Empyrean »

What are you both using to run ScummVM? Supercard, M3, GBAMP, or...?
Yoko99

Post by Yoko99 »

Right. Well sorry about breaking the rules and thank you very much for answering.

However, I ..don't recall talking about ..Warez ?
Well, anything illegal..
Is the DS port of Scummvm illegal in itself ?? Wow.
(In answer to Empyrean, I use a SD SC, and that's mainly used for running homebrews.And while we're already talking about it, I'll have to say..I bought just for scumm, but anyway.)

Really, sorry again, but I assure you I read the rules and readmes...
I'm just not native english speaker either and some things just go over my head,sometimes,even tho I do my best to understand, some things like this mixed audio tracks business(thx for the info, btw) , I might very well miss, the fact I dunno that much about computers in general,unfortunately, adds up.
Anyhow, not looking for excuses or anything, Sorry again. I did broke the rules in the first place by answering that first thread !
And thx, I'll look into the audio tracks !

(I'll still mention that on the Windows or Dreamcast forums,tho, I guess that's okay ?)

Well, merry Christmas ! Off to eat w/ family :)
Empyrean

Post by Empyrean »

Aww, man... I hate to spoil your season joy, but SuperCard SD isn't currently supported in the "run-off memory card" mode. This release supports the M3 and SC CF varieties.

But don't fret, on the dev forums, agentq was looking into the SD system, so he'll probably add SC SD support next release. :D
Yoko99

Post by Yoko99 »

Yeah, can't wait. Litterally checking the boards every chance I get
Yoko99

Post by Yoko99 »

Hmm, so...what you're saying, sev, is I should be able to extract my Loom game files from the CD if I did it in Win 98 ? If I were to do that and then copy those files on the 2K-running computer, Scumm would then be able to read them ?

Right now obviously (I have 2K), copying the files to my harddrive doesn't seem to be an option since, as I said, I can't even SEE the files.
Actually, there has never been any "random crash" while playing Loom in 0.7.0. Simply, there was no sound. Only in Dreamcast.

While I'm on it, I read this in the readme :

"The Dreamcast port does not support Curse of Monkey Island, nor The Dig."
The Dig plays very well. some cinematigs lag a bit and sound is horribly messed up (that's for ScummvmDC 0.4.0), but otherwise it does play fine, so..I dunno, just sayin'

Cheers !
proutguy

Scummvm DS 0.5 works, but...

Post by proutguy »

hi everybody,

Scummvm ds v 0.5 works perfectly on my ds by the M3(for Monkey island 1&2, sam n max with all musics and voices, day of the tentacle with all musics and voices), but not for the dig or full throttle ( it crashes while launching).
Has somebody tried them? did they work?

I noticed too that some talkie versions of lucasarts games like samnmax worked but without voices (mine from a lucasarts collection). for those who have a CD audio versions ( audio files in wav) u can re-encode it by cdex or an other program, for this please visit scummvm ds homepage, all is explained.

I heard that we can play other non lucasarts games like simon the sorcerer 1 and 2 , Do somebody knows if there is a compatibility lists of games for scummvm DS? i found one for scummvm, but not for the port for DS which seems to have a different compatibility list.

Thanks
proutguy

Post by proutguy »

so here s mine of the games i tried:

for scummvm ds V0.5:

Monkey island II cd version and floppy; works
Sam n max original cd full talkie version (~200MB): works
sam n max talkie from lucasarts collections packs (~150MB): works without voices
Sam n max floppy non talkie (~10MB); works
Day of the tentacle original cd talkie version (~200MB); works
Day of the tentecle from lucaarts collections packs (~150MB); works without voices
Day of the tentacle floppy version (~7MB); works
Monkey Island I CD 256 version ( ~40MB);works without music
Monkey Island I floppy 256 version (~4MB); works
Monkey Island II (all versions); works
Indy IV and III (256 version); works
Zak MCKraken EGA version; works
Zak MCKraken 256 version; works without sounds and music ( seems to be the same on scummvm PC)
Loom cd 256 version (4 MB + 40 MB audio file re encoded with cdex), works without voices and music
Loom floppy EGA version; works
Full throttle;Doesn t work
The dig ; doesn t work

So if somebody could complete this list for other games or correct it if they found a solution to play one of these non working games correctly on his DS.

I just want to precise that there were french versions, except for loom cd

Bye
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

proutguy,

Your compatibility list seems to include all the games that work with ScummVM DS. You should find that the Monkey 1 CD audio can be encoded to work with ScummVM DS, and then you will get the full audio tracks. There is currently a problems with Loom CD audio that will be fixed in the next version.

Full Throttle and The Dig don't run, and probably never will, as they require a lot of RAM. Games that use other engines, such as Simon 1 & 2, will probably be supported in the future, but you will need to run a separate executable to play these.

There is a fairly active discussion on ScummVM DS here:
http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=8440&start=165
proutguy

Scummvm DS 0.5 works, but...

Post by proutguy »

HI agentQ nice to meet you and thank you so much for your work on ds port!!! I bought my ds just for these wonderful games!!!!

About Monkey 1, i had a floppy256 colors version with all sounds ans musics, of course, the musics arent as clear as on the cd version, but it takes only 8MB, which is good for my flashcard. i think this was a midi version or something like that, but they re pretty good and they remember me the good old time of my first soundblaster!!!

About zak mckraken 256 colors versions, were you able to play it with musics ? me not , only the ega version.

Oh, and what about Benath a steel sky, which was an awesome game too?

Thanks for all see ya!
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

As far as I know, Zak can be played with music on the CD version using the CD audio tracks. I don't have the floppy version to test, but others have said that it doesn't play music on the PC ScummVM either, so perhaps there is some support missing for that. I don't know.

And Benieth a Steel Sky is in the works!
Mon1018
Spammer

Post by Mon1018 »

I heard that we can play other non lucasarts games like simon the sorcerer 1 and 2 , Do somebody knows if there is a compatibility lists of games for scummvm DS?

----------
really???