ScummVM 0.9.1a beta2 with DLDI support released

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

agentq, I was wondering: The new DLDI code renders the compatibility chart on http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Nintendo_DS resp. http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com outdated, doesn't it? If so, we could mark it as such ("this table is for the 0.9.1 release " or so), and then add a new DLDI based table to the Wiki page.

Furthermore, could I convince you to add something like this to our NEWS file? :-)

Nintendo DS port:
- Added DLDI support for enhanced support with card readers.

(obviously, you know better than me what kind of text would be appropriate, but you get the idea, I hope *g*).
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The compatibility chart is based on the current 'stable' version. The DLDI version of ScummVM DS is only available on this forum and so the docs reflect the 'official' release.

Although I really should release the DLDI version as v0.9.1a, as it's far more compatible. I'm not really sure what the process is though.
thebawp

Post by thebawp »

Seems the problem with the scsd.dldi driver is related to the SD card - however using the scsd_moon.dldi to patch it with works for me and a few others. Ryan FB is hosting SaTa's scsd_moon.dldi here: http://www.cryptosystem.org/projects/nds/scsd_moon.dldi

Hope this helps.

Tried it with FoA and seems to be working, although I've not given it a real work out yet. Loads a lot faster though, and no need to remember which button I'm meant to hold down XD
nothsa

Post by nothsa »

Working on my M3 DS Simply. Thanks guys =)
SonnyJim

Post by SonnyJim »

Working fine on my DS Phat/ DS lite with a Supercard SD. Obligatory thanks.

/me sits down to play some Sam and Max
iso jussi

Post by iso jussi »

So... If you say it has DLDI support, does that mean it doesn't have to be managered with M3 Game Manager?

But if it needs to, what are the settings on the manager for ScummVM?
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

iso jussi wrote:So... If you say it has DLDI support, does that mean it doesn't have to be managered with M3 Game Manager?

HomebrewS do NOT need the game manager. DLDI or not, the game manager is ONLY for backups. So grab the latest build of ScummVMDS, use DLDITool32 ( http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/ ) to patch it, and play.
iso jussi

Post by iso jussi »

I downloaded the latest version, but why there is two versions of eg. scummvmds-a? I mean, there is .nds and ds.gba versions of the emulator?
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

.nds : ds binary, without any loader
.ds.gba : ds binary with a 512 byte loader in the header

With a M3 slot2, you can use both .nds and .ds.gba, BUT :

.nds files MUST be launched with Start button
.ds.gba files MUST be launched with the A button

If you do not respect that, homebrew crashes the M3

On M3 slot1 (Simply), use only the .nds version.
iso jussi

Post by iso jussi »

But what are the benefits in DLDI version? Why do we need a DLDI version? I don't think i need it if i have M3 CF?
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

The latest builds have DLDI, so it can work on ANY linker (if the DLDI file is available of course). Do not forget that not EVERYBODY use M3CF, so do not ask if it's better or not, just use it 8) (DLDI driver is not better, but at least equal to the built-in driver of older scummvmds)

DLDI was not needed for M3CF, but if you want to use the latest builds then you have to use DLDI...Latest builds include latest bug fixes, new features...so if you want an updated scummVMDS, you will have to use DLDI....
iso jussi

Post by iso jussi »

Badablek wrote:
iso jussi wrote:So... If you say it has DLDI support, does that mean it doesn't have to be managered with M3 Game Manager?

HomebrewS do NOT need the game manager. DLDI or not, the game manager is ONLY for backups. So grab the latest build of ScummVMDS, use DLDITool32 ( http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/ ) to patch it, and play.
But why there reads then "Copy the file to the SD/miniSD/CF card with the M3 Game Manager."
And when you say that I have to DLDI the scummvm to my ds, is it really needed to DLDI the version that this thread is about, for M3 CF version??
And in the ScummVM menu, what file will I choose, SOU, 000 or 001 -file? Or do I need to choose just the folder of my game?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Yes, the page says to use the M3 Game Manager. This is because if you don't use the manager, the M3 complains about a missing save file. This error doesn't cause any problem, since ScummVM doesn't use this file any more on the M3, so it's safe to just bypass it. The default options on the M3 manager work fine for me.

You will always need to patch the ScummVM file with DLDItool even if you used a card reader that was previously supported in an older version like M3CF. The DLDI versions of scummvm have no FAT drivers built in. If you're using it on a non-FAT device, like a GBA Flash Cartridge, then you don't need a DLDI.

When adding the games, you don't choose files, you just choose the folder the game is in and the files are automatically found.
iso jussi

Post by iso jussi »

So, did you mean that I do not need the save file, or do I need one? And If I need, can i use the small "bank.dat" file as the save file?
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

the M3 complains about a missing save file. This error doesn't cause any problem
So, did you mean that I do not need the save file, or do I need one? And If I need, can i use the small "bank.dat" file as the save file?
Sav file NOT needed ;)

(BTW if you don't want to see the error screen when a save is missing, you can use the manager to make the .sav, but ScummVMDS will NOT use it)