MI 1 CD-Version won´t run on a MAC

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nagra

MI 1 CD-Version won´t run on a MAC

Post by Nagra »

Hello,

after successfully running the PC-Version of MI3 on my MAC, I just tried it with MI1 but I have a big problem with it:

The Mac only detects an Audio-CD! In the finder I can only see Audio-Tracks from Nr. 2 to Nr. 25. And that´s all. No more files are shown.

In order of that, SCUMMVM cannot find a game. I think the game part on the CD must be invisible for the Mac OS. Can somebody help?

I use SCUMM VM 0.8.0a for MAC OSX
with a Power Mac G4, 1,25 Ghz, 1,25 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.3.9
MI1, PC-CD-Version, Multilingual, with CD-Audio, 1992

Regards
Nagra
Jimbob

Re: MI 1 CD-Version won´t run on a MAC

Post by Jimbob »

Nagra wrote:The Mac only detects an Audio-CD! In the finder I can only see Audio-Tracks from Nr. 2 to Nr. 25. And that´s all. No more files are shown.

In order of that, SCUMMVM cannot find a game. I think the game part on the CD must be invisible for the Mac OS. Can somebody help?
Well the Monkey Madness edition seems to work fine for me, I get the audio tracks CD and the datafiles CD mounted on my desktop. I'm using the same version of OS X as you (10.3.9). I don't know what to suggest to fix this problem but one option would be to use an external CD drive if you have access to one.

Jimbob
Nagra

Post by Nagra »

Hi Jimbob,

you mean there are TWO different cds?! One that contains the game data and another that contains the audio-tracks???

If so, I only have the cd with the audio-tracks and the other one with the game files is missing! Just bought it on ebay.

I don´t have the madness version. It´s a bundle version (MI 1 ONLY). But the manual did not speak of two cds.

Please respond to this two-cd-thing.

Besides that I will give it a try with an external cd-drive.

Thanks,
Nagra
clem

Post by clem »

I think what he means is that you should get two icons on your desktop - one that leads to the audio tracks and one that leads to the data track - of course I'm only guessing, I want one but I hear it's a bad time to buy a Mac
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

clem wrote:I think what he means is that you should get two icons on your desktop - one that leads to the audio tracks and one that leads to the data track - of course I'm only guessing, I want one but I hear it's a bad time to buy a Mac
Yeah, that's right. One physical CD but the Mac mounts 2 volumes on the desktop, one with the data and one with the audio tracks.

On buying a Mac, if you're seriously think of buying one then you should probably wait to see how the change to Intel chips pans out. Rumours are all over the place for which Mac will be released with the first Intel processor, some say the Mac Mini others say the iBook will be first.

Jimbob
Nagra

Post by Nagra »

Understood.

Then the question is still, why doesn´t my Mac mount em both?

I will try it later on another mac at which an externel Firewire-DVD-Drive is connected and will tell you the result.

Nagra
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Nagra wrote:Understood.

Then the question is still, why doesn´t my Mac mount em both?

I will try it later on another mac at which an externel Firewire-DVD-Drive is connected and will tell you the result.

Nagra
I had this problem before but I don't know how to fix it. We have an external CD writer attached to an old CRT iMac and that seems to be able to read / mount some discs that the iMac DVD drive has problems with. Can you boot into OS 9? I think if you can you should be able to see both CD partitions.

Jimbob
Nagra

Post by Nagra »

Very good idea! Fortunately my Mac can boot a complete OS9 (not just the classic mode!).

I will try it in the afternoon.

And if that doesn´t work, I will do several tests with older CRT Macs (and OS) and external drives.

Nagra
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The following page describes a way to force mounting the Data CD part/session of the MI CD version (works for me):

http://forums.osxfaq.com/viewtopic.php? ... 1f31d03b1b

Unfortunately I do not yet know of a simpler way (in older Mac OS versions, pressing Alt while inserting the CD helped, but apparently not anymore).
Nagra

I did it!

Post by Nagra »

I can´t believe it. After all these years I am finnaly back on the island!

Here is how I did it:

1. Downloaded "Joliet Volume Access" (for Mac OS 9 only) from
http://www.tempel.org/joliet/

2. Rebooted the Mac with OS 9.2.2

4. Placed the "Joliet Volume Access" File in the Extensions folder

5. Restarted the Mac.

6. Inserted the MI 1 CD

7. Recieved a message that the volume cannot be read and that it has to be removed. But I ignored that and...

8. Started Joliet Control

9. Added the as unmounted shown ISO 9660 partition of the cd to the list.

One second later the cd including it´s hidden partion (game data) revealt to me. I was now able to copy the files to wherever I wanted. And I switched back to Mac OS 10.3.9.

After that I only had to convert the CD Audio-Tracks into MP3 files and place them into my desired language folder of the multilingual game and after a few more mouseclicks I found myself back on Melee Island.

Thanks to all of you especially the SCUMMVM Developers.

Regards
Nagra
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Using OS 9 is possible, too, yeah -- but not required at all. As explained above, it's possible to access the hybrid CD directly from OS X, w/o a reboot. Though it's uncomfortable... OS X seems to misdetect the hybrid CD for some reason (it thinks that it is a HFS volumen when it really is ISO9660). I'll consider filing a bug report with Apple.