DLDI?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Goldeneye

DLDI?

Post by Goldeneye »

Maybe using the new fatlib with DLDI support will make it alot easier for future releases. As you won't have to include a new device everytime and the users just include whatever device support they wish. Alot of developers are following this new 'trend', so I thought it could be something of interest for you as well if you didn't know about it yet.

Here's some info:
http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Yes, I have been looking at the DLDI stuff for a while now, and it looks promising.

I have a test version of ScummVM that can use DLDI drivers (not ready for release yet, so don't ask), but I want to make sure that DLDI drivers available are at least as compatible as the ones built in to ScummVM for the devices that are already supported. This is because the DLDI interface takes a fair amount of space, so I would want to remove all of the built in drivers to free up some memory.

So yeah, it should make it much easier for me not to have to bother with supporting many different cards, but I must contribute my driver fixes to the DLDI project first.

I've also got to think about some sort of easier interface to the DLDI patching tool, as I think if I suggested people all use a command-line tool to patch their binaries, I would be snowed under with people who don't know how to use a command line.
tomten

Post by tomten »

agentq wrote:I've [...] got to think about some sort of easier interface to the DLDI patching tool, as I think if I suggested people all use a command-line tool to patch their binaries, I would be snowed under with people who don't know how to use a command line.
Since neither the DLDI patchers nor ScummVM is updated very often, why not just release pre-patched binaries of all available DLDI versions (making note of which DLDI patcher version was used where applicable)? Wouldn't that be sort of like pre-compiling versions for different operating systems, like the mother project does?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Patch 15 (at the last count) DLDI drivers for each of 3 ScummVM binaries? That's 45 different versions?! The zip archive would be huge.

And then, when a new driver came out I would be snowed under with requests to patch a new version, which is the exact problem I'm trying to avoid.

People are going to have to patch their own version. It's the best way.
Goldeneye

Post by Goldeneye »

agentq wrote: I've also got to think about some sort of easier interface to the DLDI patching tool, as I think if I suggested people all use a command-line tool to patch their binaries, I would be snowed under with people who don't know how to use a command line.
bob_fossil (at the gbadev forums) did a very nice GUI app of the patcher.

You pretty much just dump the dldi files (or all if you wish) in the same folder and it will list them.
You could host that program aside with the main program, or include it in the package itself or whatever you find appropriate :D

Here's the link to it:
http://home.clara.net/adamhodson/dldi32-002.zip
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Well, that GUI looks as if it was only for Windows users. Interestingly, all my friends with a Nintendo DS are Mac users... (and no, despite my background not all my friends use Macs ;-). So that would only be a partial solution at best.
tomten

Post by tomten »

fingolfin wrote:Well, that GUI looks as if it was only for Windows users. Interestingly, all my friends with a Nintendo DS are Mac users... (and no, despite my background not all my friends use Macs ;-). So that would only be a partial solution at best.
Well, all this is hardly within the scope of ScummVM at all, unless ScummVM DLDI binaries are precompiled. When DLDI gets popular, I'm sure there will be tons of sites hosting GUIs and whatever. Even for OSX. ;]
tomten

Post by tomten »

Goldeneye wrote:
agentq wrote: I've also got to think about some sort of easier interface to the DLDI patching tool, as I think if I suggested people all use a command-line tool to patch their binaries, I would be snowed under with people who don't know how to use a command line.
bob_fossil (at the gbadev forums) did a very nice GUI app of the patcher.

You pretty much just dump the dldi files (or all if you wish) in the same folder and it will list them.
You could host that program aside with the main program, or include it in the package itself or whatever you find appropriate :D

Here's the link to it:
http://home.clara.net/adamhodson/dldi32-002.zip
I wonder what's in the "Första downloads" folder...
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

Can someone link me to the necessary dldi files?
tomten

Post by tomten »

MetroidPrime wrote:Can someone link me to the necessary dldi files?
Necessary for what? What's missing in the link that started this thread?
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

tomten wrote:
MetroidPrime wrote:Can someone link me to the necessary dldi files?
Necessary for what? What's missing in the link that started this thread?
Oh sorry, my fault :oops:
Goldeneye

Post by Goldeneye »

tomten wrote: I wonder what's in the "Första downloads" folder...
Rofl. Actually its definition of 'andra' is in this case 'other' and not numerical as for '2nd' ;)

Im always so selfish, thinking everyone uses windows only :(
But as other mentioned. Im sure there will be more supported GUI app's of the patcher for different computers OS's as soon as this gets more popular.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The command line patcher is available for Windows, MacOS PowerPC/Intel and Linux.

I was thinking of doing a batch file for Windows which asks which driver you use, and patches the three binaries to the driver you ask for.

Hopefully, some kind Mac person will make an equivalent shell script that will run on the Mac.

I doubt any Linux user would be confused by being asked to use a command line tool!
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

So when can we expect the DLDI version?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

When I find time to work on it. Time is in short supply at the moment.