Trouble booting Simon 1

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Motajay

Trouble booting Simon 1

Post by Motajay »

Hi!

I recently tried the DS port, really amazing work! So far Monkey Island 1 (without music) and 2 work, as well as Simon The Sorcerer 2 and Day Of The Tentacle. I use M3 Lite.

I'm having trouble launching Simon The Sorcerer 1 on my DS. I get to the copy protection screen after unusual waiting, where everything worked fine on the PC version of ScummVM (and with Simon 2). After that all I have is a black screen with the mouse icon, and the game frozen...

If anyone can help or had the same problem, thanks!
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I'm not sure about your Simon 1 problem. The version I have doesn't have any copy protection screen.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

If you don't have music in your Monkey Island 1, you must have the CD audio version, and you need to convert the CD audio for that. See the ScummVM DS site for how.
Motajay

Post by Motajay »

I forgot to add that I use a french version of Simon 1, that works perfectly on on ScummVM PC. Simon 2 english version (non talkie) works on both PC and DS.

Thanks for the MI1 music, is there a way to play with the midi music instead of CD on DS?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Midi music can be played by using the floppy version of the game, as with the PC version of ScummVM.

Unfortunately I don't have the French version of Simon 1 so I can't be much help there.
Motajay

Post by Motajay »

I solved part of the problem. I tried with another version (both english and french) and the game starts after the copy protection screen thing.

Still, I need to enter the correct code everytime I boot the game, random clicking doesn't work (it did on PC)... which could be annoying if I want to play in a place where I can't check the codes file.
Is there a way to remove or bypass the code sequence?
Scandal_UK

Post by Scandal_UK »

Actually you must be referring to the DOS version - I have the DOS and the CD versions of this game.

I do have the original manual but we have to deal with entering the code every time because the game is still protected.

I've seen many posts about this and the Windows ScummVM also requires you to enter the correct code. The game is still copyrighted and the ScummVM team are not allowed to bypass it.

The only way is to either deal with it or get the WINDOWS version - which is a CD-talkie version without protection.
Motajay

Post by Motajay »

Thanks for the help, the CD version actually works. And the DOS non-talkie one requires the exact code on DS (not on PC strangely). Well, it works at least :wink:
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I find it strange that the floppy version requires the right code. Are you playing with version 0.9.1 of ScummVM on the PC?
Motajay

Post by Motajay »

Now I use 0.9.1 on PC, and it requires the right code.
Prior to that I was using an older version (don't remember what version though) and random clicking worked.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

The copy protection of Simon the Sorcerer 1 was never bypassed under ScummVM, you are clearly using a cracked version of the game.

The current version of ScummVM actually re-enables the copy protection screen of Simon the Sorcerer 1, if you are using a cracked version.