Can't open any post with Touche (with accent) in the title

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Reckless

Can't open any post with Touche (with accent) in the title

Post by Reckless »

For some reason my browser (IE6) is showing what looks to be chinese for the accented 'e' and when I open the thread I get a blank page.

Anyone else have this issue or is localised to my PC? Can't say I've change anything recently!

Edit - changing IE's encoding to auto makes the accented 'e' show in the thread summary but the thread is still empty when opened. But when changing this to 'Western European (Windows)' the page shows.

FYI:
The main ScummVM website comes up as 'Western European (ISO)'
The main forum summary page comes up as 'Unicode (UTF-8)'

Something a tad weird going on :)
Last edited by Reckless on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
fac

Post by fac »

I'm having the same problem in IE. In Firefox i can't see the accent but i can open the thread.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Those are two different problems
The reason why the accented 'e' is not displayed is the codepage. IE selects UTF-8 by default, but it seems that the accented 'e' in the touche posts is created with a different codepage. Just right-click on the page and select the encoding you want from the menu

I don't understand why you get a blank page for the post. There is no parameter passed to see the post itself, just the post id. Have you tried refreshing the page?
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Yes I did :) When the page is blank, the HTTP stream was fully received & seeminly processed by IE (View Source shows the full HTML document). A forced refresh has no effect.

On the appearance [or not] of the accent, I'm fairly certain that this I've had 'Chinese' characters for only a week or so but I can't say what I'd have done to cause this change?!

No matter anyways. IE7 shows the thread content OK as does Firefox.
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

I think the problem is that the forum sends all pages with "charset=utf-8" in the HTTP header, while it sends "charset=iso-8859-1" through http meta tags:

Here are the HTTP headers:

Code: Select all

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 15:27:16 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) DAV/2 PHP/4.4.4-8
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.4-8
Set-Cookie: phpbb2mysql_data=*********; expires=Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:27:16 GMT; path=/
Set-Cookie: phpbb2mysql_sid=*********; path=/
Cache-Control: no-cache, pre-check=0, post-check=0
Expires: 0
Pragma: no-cache
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
...and this is the line from the HTML page:

Code: Select all

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
I don't know why there's a problem (normally, the HTML META definition should override any HTTP header definition, although it doesn't always seem to work correctly...)
Maybe the person who created the post used a different charset to send the data to the server, and somehow it didn't get "normalized" to UTF-8 before it hit the database. Someone should check the SQL tables for the encoding of that particular thread.

To the original poster: Try toggling the "always send URLs as UTF-8" setting in the IE6 options, this might help.

--Darkstar
clem

Post by clem »

would changing the forum html headers to utf-8 solve that problem?
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

Actually, as it looks right now, I think this wouldn't help:

The problem seems to be that the post title was stored in ISO-8859-1 (setting this encoding manually in Firefox shows the correct accented char) in the database. This shouldn't happen. Normally, phpbb should convert everything to utf-8, even if the user posts through a browser with a different encoding. I'm no HTML guru, but maybe there's a flag that can be set in the FORM tag of the "new post" page to set the encoding of the text fields to UTF-8?

P.S.: For testing, here are some more non-ASCII chars: äöü âôû ��: when they are stored correctly, they should look like german a-umlaut, german o-umlaut german u-umlaut, a-with-circumflex, o-with-circumflex, u-with-circumflex, hiragana 'ka', hiragana 'na'. The last two should only show up correctly in UTF-8 because ISO-8859-1 doesn't have them.

Edit: Maybe the "accept-encoding" attribute might help (selfhtml link) there...