Lucas Arts compilation petition

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Adventureguy

Lucas Arts compilation petition

Post by Adventureguy »

Hello dear ScummVM users. I've had an idea of creating a petition demanding LEC to re-release the 12 SCUMM adventures like Vivendi did with the Sierra compilations. I hope it's OK that I advertised the ScummVM project in the petition since it does run all SCUMM games best (hence the name :wink: ). I think you, the team, wouldn't have anything against the use of ScummVM as the emulator for the re-release, would you?
Well, here's the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/lecagcp1/petition.html :
To: Lucas Arts Entertainment company

We, the undersigned, demand for the re-release of the old classic adventure games LEC made with the SPUTM engine (better known as the SCUMM engine in public). These games are known as:

Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max - Hit the Road
Full Throttle
The Dig
The Curse of Monkey Island

With a re-release of those true classics, many more gamers can be introduced to the adventure genre and LEC could gain money of these games again. It's wrong to think that selling computer games which are over a decade old turns out to be profitless at the end. For example, Vivendi Universal is selling new re-releases of old Sierra adventure games like King's Quest, Space Quest, etc. They just used a the free DOSBox emulator to get the games running on modern machines, so there was no need to spend time and money on the old source code of the games to make them run on newer platforms.

For the SPUTM made games, there is even a more better emulator than DOSBox: SCUMMVM. It can run all those adventure games perfectly nowadays and it's free, too. With modern graphic filters included in this emulator the supported games do look much better. Also, SCUMMVM has many companies support, for example the support of Adventuresoft and Revolution Software. E.g. the first two Broken Sword games are shipped with the SCUMMVM emulator.

So offering a re-release of those classic adventure games won't cost much and can bring big amounts of money. Your company just has to put the game files and the SCUMMVM emulator on a CD or DVD and the re-release is ready for shipping. LEC wouldn't even have to spend huge ammounts of money in the support of these games since SCUMMVM has it's own support forum for the supported games.

It would be a perfect special compilation since next year is the 25th anniversary of Lucas Arts. On your website, you document the history of your company, you mention all the milestones you have achieved, but the fame about your bestseller games like Monkey Island fade away in a few years when all those facts become meaningless since nobody knows Monkey Island anymore by then. To prevent this, a re-release is necessary so future generations of gamers know about Guybrush Threepwood and his adventures.

A good book is still a good book after a few decades or centuries, like Shakespear's Romeo and Juliet is still read and played on the stage. A good film is still a good film even it's made at the beginning of film industry, like the good old Charlie Chaplin movies. So why should a good game, even if it is a decade or two old no be good anymore today? Computer games are also part of the history and as such they need preservation like old books and films, too. It's a new sort of media, where artists want to create something the players will remember long after the games were sold the first time. And old media like floppy discs and CD-ROMs may not work someday, so the users do need new media in order to play their favorite games again and again.

So please, in the name of the true fans of your old but everlasting adventure games worldwide and for the sake of future gamer generations who should experience this part of computer history, please, please re-release the 12 SCUMM games into public again. As Vivendi showed, re-releasing old adventure games is possibble.

Do it to keep your fame for generations to come as a company which created great adventure games.

Sincerely, The Undersigned
I don't know if it will do any good, but it's worth a try. Maybe if enough people will undersign this petition, LEC might think about a re-release. Please undersign.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

If somebody wrote me such a letter starting with "demand" (as opposed to, say, "request" or "humbly ask for"), I'd probably throw it immediately into my dustbin without even bothering to read the rest of the letter.
Just my two cents :-).
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Some more suggestions: Run a spell checker over it ("possibble" ?), fix the grammatical errors in it ("more better" ? "companies support" ?). Word repetitions, even in disguise, are bad ("for example" followed by "e.g."). Then, tune some of the paragraphs to not be quite as presumptious, like telling them how much it would cost them to re-release games -- they know that a lot better than you, and also it's not quite as simple as you describe it -- so rather maybe suggest that it would be relatively easy and cheap, compared to developing a new game.
And try not to imply that they are stupid ("It's wrong to think ..." -- how do you know that anybody, in particular LEC, would think so?).

If you make those changes, there is remote chances that they might take you seriously. In the current state of petition, the chance is about zero, but even after a rewrite it will unfortunately only be marginal. But I'd love to see a re-release, too, even though I own all of those games multiple times. So at least, when you try, try for real ;-)
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

The problem is that most petitions are written by amatuers who whilst have a sound idea have no real clue on how to put that idea into action.

I would love to know the success rate of petitions hosted by petitionsonline but I somehow expect it's very very low.

I'd personally send correspondance directly to the company [directed at somewhere who was willing/able to take notice both emotionally and physically]. This could be backed up by a survey whose answers when analysed would show them that releasing said games would be a viable proposition. A petition is just too easy to sign - it doesn't actually show commitment.

Although I've already purchased all of the games [via eBay and the like] I'd certainly buy compilation DVDs. Thanks to SCUMMVM I've replayed some gaming gems and have also introduced my kids to games they wouldn't have had exposure to given the current state of gaming today.
JRos83

Post by JRos83 »

LucasArts does not give a care about this sort of thing.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

JRos83 wrote:LucasArts does not give a care about this sort of thing.
Reviving 4 months old thread doesn't enlight everyone.

Eugene
JRos83

Post by JRos83 »

1.I wasnt looking at the date of the thread.

2. What's with the attitude? =(
clem

Post by clem »

JRos83 wrote:2. What's with the attitude? =(
1. imagine reading this forum every day
2. imagine the same things coming up over and over again