No voices in Touché

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

The Hero

No voices in Touché

Post by The Hero »

For some unknown reason, there are no voices when i run Touché: The adventures of the fifth musketeer.

I'm using the daily build, and the game runs just fine, all the music and sound effects are there, but no voices! Very odd...

Does somebody else have a simmilar problem, or possibly a solution?

PS: Sorry if this was installed in the wrong section, or if i broke a rule. I'm just very excited about being able to play this excellent game once again. I've waited years to be able to play it properly again. :)
The Hero

Post by The Hero »

Wait! I just got the voices to work! YAY!!!!!!!! :D
grimmy

Post by grimmy »

How????? I can get them working in Dosbox (which is a pain in the bum and plays pretty slow), but not by using the latest daily build of ScummVM.

I have tried copying the files from my cd across to a folder on my hard drive, but to no avail. I have also tried many different combinations with the audio options in ScummVM, but again to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated,

Many thanks,

Mike
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Press F5 during game and select "Text and voice"
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Check the value of "speech_volume" in the [scummvm] section of the scummvm.ini file (which equates to Options->Audio->Speech Volume).
grimmy

Post by grimmy »

Hi again guys, thanks for your speedy replies!

MD5 - The option was already set to 'Text and Voice', but I played about to see if either of the other two options worked, but no joy :(

Reckless - I eventually found the scummvm.ini file (C:\WINDOWS) opened that up, the 'speech_volume' setting was already on 192, but I changed it to 500 just for test purposes but again, no joy :(

Can anyone else offer any help?

:D
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

grimmy, do you have v* files? i.e. v11-v130?

Eugene
grimmy

Post by grimmy »

thanks for the reply Sev!

Yes, these files are on the CD, along with

DOS4GW.EXE
INSTALL.EXE
OBJ
TOUCHE.EXE

and a DATABASE directory that contains

TOUCHE.DAT

I have tried running Scumm on the cd, which works, but with no voices, but sound and music. I have also copied all of these files onto my hard disk, and tried to run scumm on the hd files, but with the same results.

Many thanks,

Mike.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Download FileMonitor from www.sysinternals.com. Apply a filter for the touché directory, run game in a window and see if the V** speech data files are being read when you expect.

Yes) If they are then it could be an issue with the ScummVM configuration so recheck using a new ScummVM.ini configuration file:

Check you've got the correct file set for the game. For the game to play you need the following files in the Touché directory:
OBJ
TOUCHE.DAT (this is usually in DATABASE but needs moving for ScummVM)
V*

Rename the scummwm.ini file located in c:\windows. The latest versions of ScummVM create the file in your user profile directory (%APPDATA%\ScummVM\ScummVM.ini) when first created.

Add the game leaving everything as defaults and run.

Does the speech work then?

No) Could be a bug in the Touché/sound engine (perhaps unlikely as it looks pretty damned solid!).

Hope that helps!

For reference, my ScummVM.INI settings (for both ScummVM and overrides for the game - which is the demo but should be the same I would think) are:

Code: Select all

[scummvm]
gfx_mode=hq3x
music_volume=255
midi_gain=100
speech_volume=100
browser_lastpath=C:\Games\ScummVM\Touché Demo\
aspect_ratio=true
music_driver=auto
lastselectedgame=touché-1
native_mt32=false
gui_theme=modern
subtitles=true
fullscreen=false
sfx_volume=192
master_volume=255
talkspeed=60
speech_mute=false
enable_gs=false
multi_midi=false
versioninfo=0.10.0svn
savepath=C:\Games\ScummVM

[touche]
gfx_mode=hq2x
description=Touche: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer (Demo)
music_volume=255
speech_volume=192
path=C:\Games\ScummVM\Touche Demo\
aspect_ratio=true
music_driver=auto
subtitles=true
platform=pc
gameid=touche
language=en
fullscreen=false
sfx_volume=192
talkspeed=60
speech_mute=false
HuZimMayXX

Post by HuZimMayXX »

There is an very easy solution for this:

ScummVM currently (tested with the daily build of 19th december) searches for the voice files in the same dir as the .dat file is located, which gets recognized by ScummVM as gamedir.
So just put the voice-files and the .dat file into the same directory and add the game. Then it should work just fine.

It worked for me.
grimmy

Post by grimmy »

Thank you all for your help!

HuZimMayXX, I can't believe the solution was that simple! I moved all the V files into the Database folder and it works a treat!

Many, many thanks!

Mike
grimmy

Post by grimmy »

The Hero pointed out to me in PM that there is another way to get sounds working from the CD if you have the same directory structure as I do.
change the "Extra" path in the ScummVM menue for Touche. If you highlight Touche in the menue, choose Edit Game, and then choose paths, and and change the Extra Path to the first folder of the CD. That's what i did, and it worked!
this worked for me also :D

Thanks to the ScummVM team and the community,

keep up the good work Have fun

Mike.