Stutters/skipping sound/graphics

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

atari1980

Stutters/skipping sound/graphics

Post by atari1980 »

Hi,

i read the FAQ & tried to find if this issues has been reported before on here, but it seems that my problem isnt reported by anyone yet. (correct me if i'm wrong) :)

I have 3 games i bought back then on cd (talkie); Day of Tentacle (english), Full Throttle (english) & The Curse of Monkey Island (French, LucasArts Classics) on 2 CD.

I wanted to put them all in one DVD, so i did, with only the needed files (wich are enumerated in the documentation section of this website). but everynow and then, the games stutters (mouse, graphics and sound) and i can hear the dvd-rom having trouble reading something. often when theres speech and/or a cutscene.

if i run them from the original cds, everything's ok.

There's no bad sectors or anything on the dvds. any ideas?

EDIT: i tested it on both my dvd-rom and dvd burner. and there's no such problem of reading the disc when checking with Nero CD/DVD speed (and i can copy the disc to my hard drive without any problem).
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

There is always a delay if you compare between CD/DVD and a HDD. Run the games from your HDD, that's the way to get the best performance.
atari1980

Post by atari1980 »

Muyfa666 wrote:There is always a delay if you compare between CD/DVD and a HDD. Run the games from your HDD, that's the way to get the best performance.
you're probably right, but since both drives reads an average of 7-8x on the dvd+r, i tought it wouldnt be a problem. and the fact that when reading off the original cds (without even installing the actual game) works.i wanted to save time and space on my HD.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The problem with the speed (or lack thereof) of CD/DVD drives is not the througput rate (that's what is usually denoted by those 8x / 40x / whatever factors), but rather it's the latency: The latency denotes how much time passes between a request for data (issued by ScummVM, trying to read some file from the media), until the data is actually being transferred. The delay between the two events is the "latency", and a high latency is often responsible for stutter.
Last edited by fingolfin on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

fingolfin wrote:The delay between the two events is the "latency", and a low latency is often responsible for stutter.
Don't you mean high latency here?
atari1980

Post by atari1980 »

fingolfin wrote:The problem with the speed (or lack thereof) of CD/DVD drives is not the througput rate (that's what is usually denoted by those 8x / 40x / whatever factors), but rather it's the latency: The latency denotes how much time passes between a request for data (issued by ScummVM, trying to read some file from the media), until the data is actually being transferred. The delay between the two events is the "latency", and a high latency is often responsible for stutter.
gotcha, thanks for the info :D

atari