SVM uses suboptimal refresh rate (60 Hz instead of 85 Hz)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ParkerLewis

SVM uses suboptimal refresh rate (60 Hz instead of 85 Hz)

Post by ParkerLewis »

Hi everyone,

I have a pretty simple question about scummvm : is there anyway to force it to select a particular refresh rate ?

The complete situation is :

-I'm trying to play Monkey Island 3 (orig graphics : 640*480), with some filtering (2x)

-My CRT is able to display 1280*960 @ 85 Hz (additional info : my graphics card is a GF6600 GT with latest nvidia drivers. and the said mode does appear in the display modes list in the windows graphics settings, and work when used for other applications). but for some reason when ScummVM starts the game with the 2x filtering, it sets the refresh rate at 60 Hz instead - which is plain unbearable.

-No problems with other "smal res" games such as MI 1 & 2 : with MI2 for example and HQ3x filtering, ScummVM automatically selected 1024*768 @ 100 Hz (highest rate available for this resolution with my CRT)

Thanks for your help. I'd really like to be able to play MI3 in 1280*960 with a decent refresh rate.
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

Just use the nVidia refresh-rate overrides. To enable them, copy this to a .reg file and double-click it (or simply use regedit directly):

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"NvCplDisableRefreshRatePage"=dword:00000000
You can then override the refresh rate for any resolution in the nVidia control panel.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: SVM uses suboptimal refresh rate (60 Hz instead of 85 Hz

Post by sev »

ParkerLewis wrote:I have a pretty simple question about scummvm : is there anyway to force it to select a particular refresh rate ?
It's not ScummVM. It's your OS. ScummVM requests 630x480x16bpp mode, i.e. refresh rate is not specified. Then your video driver selects optimal refresh. Particularly, in Win32 it usually remembers your preferred section. Switch desktop to that resolution/depth, go to display properties and in Driver tab select desired refresh rate. It will remember it and when you will launch ScummVM, it will be used.

Eugene