Issue with Compress_sword1

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Subbi

Issue with Compress_sword1

Post by Subbi »

Hi,

I have a question.
I have been using scummvm to play my broken sword 1 and 2 games as my original CD's are making so much noise in the CD-drive it becomes unbearable. Also playing those games full screen is somwhat shimmy to my eyes ;-)

ScummVm works like a charm and when I heard about a compression utility for those oversized speech and audia files I wanted to try that out also.

However, I cannot get the compress_sword1 file to run!
- I put it in the game directory
- I also added a lame encoder called: lameenc.dll

But it does not run. Am I using the right encoder?
I am not very knowledgeable about encoders at all and I cannot find any information on this on the scummvm site.

Thanks for helping me out,
Ivar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Issue with Compress_sword1

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Subbi wrote: However, I cannot get the compress_sword1 file to run!
- I put it in the game directory
- I also added a lame encoder called: lameenc.dll

But it does not run. Am I using the right encoder?
It's always hard to say for certain what "it does not run" means. The compression tools are generally meant to be run from a command prompt, and should print an error message if something bad happens.

Having lameenc.dll in the same directory is unlikely to work. It will try to run lame.exe (or oggenc.exe) to do the compressing.
Subbi

Post by Subbi »

Thanks. That worked.
Now I have a similar issue with the compress_scumm_bun and
compress_scumm_san programs (that I intend to use with Curse of Monkey island).

No matter what I try, it just results in a syntax description on how to use the command.

I put bot files in the same directory as the resource files and I also use the bun or san name after the command like:

compress_scumm_bun musdisk1.bun

and it just does not do anything but show the syntax again.

Thanks for helping,
Ivar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Subbi wrote: I put bot files in the same directory as the resource files and I also use the bun or san name after the command like:

compress_scumm_bun musdisk1.bun

and it just does not do anything but show the syntax again.
Notice that the command you typed does not match the syntax description:

Usage: compress_scumm_bun <inputfile> <inputdir> <outputdir> [--ogg] [encoder params]

Where inputfile is the name of the file (e.g. digmusic.bun), inputdir is the name of the folder where the uncompressed file is, and outputdir is the name of the folder where the compressed file is to be created.

To test this, I created a temporary folder, tmp, and two folders inside it, in and out. I copied digmusic.bun to in, and from a command prompt where tmp was the current directory, I typed:

compress_scumm_bun digmusic.bun in out --ogg

It seems to work so far. The "--ogg" part of the command is, of course, optional. It just tells the program to use oggenc instead of lame.