super4xsai?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bantza

super4xsai?

Post by bantza »

I was just speculating... Would it be possible to include larger scaling on 320x240 games than 2x. Like applying for example super2xsai twice (if it doesn't slow down the machine too much) to get 1280x960 resolution.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No, we decided not to support any 4x scalers. Maybe that will get change in the future, who knows.

Eugene
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

For LCD displays, having a 4x scaler would be great, going full screen causes the image to lose quality.
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

ScummVM could support a perfect aspect ratio correction with a 5x/6x scaler which scales up to 1600x1200 (for really high-res LCDs or 19'' CRTs):

a 320x200 game scaled x5 in x-direction and x6 in y-direction gives 1600x1200, without any scaling artifacts.

I'm thinking about getting such an LCD so such a scaler would be ideal :)

--Darkstar
GUN

Post by GUN »

Dark-Star wrote:ScummVM could support a perfect aspect ratio correction with a 5x/6x scaler which scales up to 1600x1200 (for really high-res LCDs or 19'' CRTs):

a 320x200 game scaled x5 in x-direction and x6 in y-direction gives 1600x1200, without any scaling artifacts.

I'm thinking about getting such an LCD so such a scaler would be ideal :)

--Darkstar
butg the needed CPU Powerr is slightly much higher :S
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

Well I don't think that an integer x5/x6 scaler would require more CPU power than one of the more advanced 2x scalers. I mean it's just a matter of duplicating pixels (horizontally) or even whole scanlines (vertically), no fancy math involved.

However I didn't benchmark it so I can't be 100% sure. Feel free to prove me wrong ;)

--Darkstar
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Dark-Star wrote:I mean it's just a matter of duplicating pixels (horizontally) or even whole scanlines (vertically), no fancy math involved.
But then, it wouldn't be a super4xsai nor super5/6xsai or whatever. If a non enhancing scaler is what you want, a nearest neighbour resize code would make sense here. With that the window could be resized to any dimension, including 5x/6x full screen.
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

gah, of course you're right. First I was thinking only about point upscaling (which, combined with some scanlines, would make an almost perfect aspect-ratio-corrected display on an 1600x1200 CRT) but if you consider SuperSAI then of course the CPU requirements would be much higher.

However, pointsampling would probably be enough at this resolution...

--Darkstar
zorbid

Post by zorbid »

If your graphic card supports pixel shaders (v2.0, for sure, maybe even 1.4), you can try Moe's OpenGL HQ SDL build, that implements an hardware accellerated HQ-any-X scaler. The scale factor can be any number, integer or not, and the horizontal and vertical scale factors aren't bound.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

zorbid wrote:If your graphic card supports pixel shaders (v2.0, for sure, maybe even 1.4)
v2.0 what?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
zorbid wrote:If your graphic card supports pixel shaders (v2.0, for sure, maybe even 1.4)
v2.0 what?
OpenGL or pixel shaders on the gfx card, I assume.

Jimbob
zorbid

Post by zorbid »

Yep, Pixel Shaders v2.0 or 1.4 (I thought it was obvious... didn't think of OpenGL versions.)