Playstation 1

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bananen

Playstation 1

Post by Bananen »

Why isn't there a port to the PS1? Can somebody make one? Or at least tell me how to do it myself?
clem

Re: Playstation 1

Post by clem »

Bananen wrote:Or at least tell me how to do it myself?
if you have to ask how that is done telling you how won't help you :)

I guess the PS1 doesn't have enough memory to handle the games, probably CPU is too slow too
Bananen

Post by Bananen »

I would still like to test if it is possible.

I am familiar with the process of compiling, but i wonder if you need other files for playstation than for pc, and if so, where i can find them?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Doing a port to a new hardware platform is *NOT* just a matter of recompiling! You need detailed and intimate knowledge of the target platform. You may have to add new code, possibly in assembler, write code for hardware access, and many other complicated things -- esp. if your target platform is relatively low powerered (by modern standards).

As clem said: If you have to ask the kind of questions you have been asking, that is a *clear* indicator that you do not have the skills to do the port.

So, before trying to port ScummVM, I suggest you first acquire the required skills. For example, try to create a simple game for the Playstation yourself (even if it's just yet another pong clone). If you are capable of that (including all the required steps prior to that, like setting up / obtaining a cross compiler chain), *then* you should know enough to be able to come back here and ask questions that indicate you know what you are up to :-).
Bananen

Post by Bananen »

oh, crap.