Myst/Riven Engine

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clone2727
Retired

Myst/Riven Engine

Post by clone2727 »

I've done some research into Myst (Riven uses same engine) and came up with a few things:

1. It uses Hypertalk
2. There are some open source interpreters here.

Note: I am not asking for this game to be supported, just giving information out in case anyone wants to look into it.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

I was mistaken - it uses HyperCard.

There is a SourceForge project called FreeCard, if anyone wants to look into that. :P
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Hmmmm... Well, since some people may still be looking at this, I might as well update it.

Only the original Macintosh version uses HyperCard. The original Win3.1 version of Myst uses Mohawk as well as all versions of Myst Masterpiece Edition (albeit, with 24bpp graphics). Riven (Win/Mac) also uses Mohawk. For more on the engine, look here. Also, the engine mentioned in the "other" forum post (here for those who don't like to search) is still WIP. md5 and I haven't made (no pun intended) much progress in recent months in that area.
Robot_Maker20

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

There is a separate project to make an open source Myst/Riven engine, at http://fissure.sourceforge.net/. They don't seem to have got very far, though, but perhaps linking them here might catch the interest of a few more programmers. I'd love to see that project succeed, but I lack the time and ability to make any real contribution myself.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

I tried to e-mail the admin on Fissure last summer, but got no reply.

As in the other post, md5 spoke of our progress. Both of us haven't had much time to work on it. The game is playable with many glitches. The only thing recently that I added was complete variable support and improved load game support. If you'd like to contribute, I'm sure we can work something out. Riven X is still ahead of us in progress, so if you have Mac OS X you could check that out.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Necrobump!

Clone, I see support for Myst and Riven is now in the development builds.
I checked Myst around a bit. Although you can't get very far yet, its cool to see it running.
Good job man. Happy new year!

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Yes I was going to post to say I fired it up after reading about it on Planet ScummVM. Myst that is. I can't find Riven although maybe it's at my mothers house.

Anyway, thanks Clone for the new additions.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

awesome work clone2727 and to anyone else who is involved.

Red_breast - may i ask what version of myst you used to test it? I have the original windows 3.1 release, the later windows 98 release (might be the same, not sure), and then the masterpiece and "real myst" releases (although I am positive real 3d is a different engine, and the masterpiece edition is most likely not supported either.

edit - I found the scummvm wiki entry and saw that it was the original windows release and the mac masterpiece version that are supported.

Does this mean the windows masterpiece edition did not use mohawk?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

scoriae wrote: Does this mean the windows masterpiece edition did not use mohawk?
I don't know about the Macintosh version, but the Windows Masterpiece Edition works almost - but not quite - as well for me as the old Windows version does. (By which I mean I can walk around in it, but not actually do all that much yet.)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

scoriae wrote:awesome work clone2727 and to anyone else who is involved.

Red_breast - may i ask what version of myst you used to test it? I have the original windows 3.1 release, the later windows 98 release (might be the same, not sure), and then the masterpiece and "real myst" releases (although I am positive real 3d is a different engine, and the masterpiece edition is most likely not supported either.

edit - I found the scummvm wiki entry and saw that it was the original windows release and the mac masterpiece version that are supported.

Does this mean the windows masterpiece edition did not use mohawk?
The Win3.1 and Win95 releases should be the same except for the Broderbund logo becoming the Red Orb logo. Myst ME does use Mohawk too. I originally meant to phrase it as "any Windows version (and the Macintosh version of Myst ME)" -- but, there was a miscommunication between my brain and my hands so it didn't come out right. I have fixed it now, sorry for the confusion. RealMyst uses Plasma, Cyan's 3D engine also used in Myst V and Uru, in case you were interested.

As Torbjorn said, you can move around in Myst a bit right now. If you remember how to, you can access D'ni and Stoneship from the start of the game. The ways to reveal how to get to both of them are not yet working, but the solutions do work. :wink:
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Just a screenie of Riven........ because I can ;)
EowynCarter

Post by EowynCarter »

That sound awesome :)
Maybe at some point, I can play myst and riven on my DS :)
(Woo, riven on DS, would that even work.. )
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

EowynCarter wrote:That sound awesome :)
Maybe at some point, I can play myst and riven on my DS :)
(Woo, riven on DS, would that even work.. )
Not before DS will be able to handle 3GB+ worth of data :)

Eugene
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Even if you had that 3.5 GB, there is the screen size.
If you downscale Riven you can't read the books and notes you find around the place. That 'handwriting' already is on the low-rez side as it is.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

In other words there will be no Myst on the DS Eowyn.
If you look down the list of games that will run on the DS ScummVM they are all DOS era. Windows stuff is just too much for it.

I seem to recall Myst has been released on the DS recently (last couple of years?) by Midway.